A woman's animal tastes

fitnessfan365

fitnessfan365

Don't ask me why, but if a woman owns multiple cats or a tiny dog it's an instant turn off for me. In general, I love animals. But I find the trend of women owning a dog they can put in their purse to be annoying.

Aren't there any women out there anymore that own actual sized dogs? Haha

littlesister1234

I had an average sized dog (lab mix)! I could have adopted a smaller one, but my dad said no ankle biters. I am not a big fan of smaller dogs either. I find that their barking is more irritating to my ear that a dog with a deeper bark. On the other hand though, I am such a small person, I couldn't imagine owning a big dog either, like a bull mastiff. I think if I ever tried to walk one and it chased something, it would drag me along on the leash.

I used to have pet rats...they are amazing creatures! :)

I hate people (as it isn't just women) who think dogs are not dogs and think they are unable to walk.

• Like 2

Ankle biters in general are annoying.....

I had a pit bull (RIP) and have an English bulldog.

• Like 1
Don't ask me why, but if a woman owns multiple cats or a tiny dog it's an instant turn off for me. In general, I love animals. But I find the trend of women owning a dog they can put in their purse to be annoying.

dude you're going to die alone :lmao:

• Like 2

The overwhelming majority of women don't have a dog or cat. I personally think pet ownership in general is a dying market as we get more and more self-centered and selfish as a society (I know that I am). When I was a kid there were pet stores at the mall and downtown, now I don't see any anywhere anymore apart from the odd retail park.

I don't think there is a trend for small dogs, maybe in the early 2000's paris hilton age. Cats are a different story though, I've noticed many male cat owners.

Anyway who give a fk. Most of these dogs/cats are pretty low maintenance you won't notice it.

Edited by wb1988

I am a woman, I have a dog and it's a hunting dog of 38-lbs. There is no sitting around with him !

• Like 1

I had a Dalmatian, hence my avatar. He passed away but I do want another one.

I don't really care for cats or "purse dogs" either. I harbor no ill will toward them & if somebody else has one it doesn't bother me. If you don't care for those animals, don't date their owners. You are allowed to have preferences.

• Like 2

Can I be the weirdo in this thread and say I own some hissing cockroaches, a tarantula and some beetle grubs who will take a few years to pupate? lol. :p

I love dogs though, and would like to have one in my family someday! I like smaller dogs myself because living in an apartment, it's just more feasible. Small dogs can be just as loving, affectionate, and smart as big dogs. It's all about proper training and discipline.

If a guy was annoyed simply by the type of animal I owned, I probably would be annoyed at his very judgmental attitude. If I could adopt all the dogs in the world (big or small) I would, but instead I adopt those that I can properly care for and fit my lifestyle. Doesn't mean I tote the dog in a handbag! :p

• Like 2

The only women I know own "real" dogs (a pit bull, a boxer, a great dane, and a great Dane) , whereas I, a full blooded male, had as my last dog....a Jack Russell! Best little big dog around!

So, I'd say you are generalizing.

The overwhelming majority of women don't have a dog or cat. I personally think pet ownership in general is a dying market as we get more and more self-centered and selfish as a society (I know that I am). When I was a kid there were pet stores at the mall and downtown, now I don't see any anywhere anymore apart from the odd retail park.

You are kidding me right? Pet ownership dying?!?!

------------------------

Pet ownership in the U.S. has more than tripled from the 1970s, when approximately 67 million households had pets, to 2012, when there were 164 million owned pets. In other words, in 2012, 62 percent of American households included at least one pet.

U.S. Pet Ownership and Shelter Population Estimates : The

..The Humane Society of the United States

• Like 2
You are kidding me right? Pet ownership dying?!?!

if anything it's a growth industry

If you think that's bad, I once met a lady who owned a skunk.

When I was dating her, my freind said.......

...........wait for it............

...........ya better be nice to the skunk :laugh:

• Like 1

IMO, zero or one pet is normal, two pets is okay, three is very marginal, and four or more means someday they'll probably die alone and be eaten by their pets. :eek:

I'm a hunting dog kind of woman. Weimaraner, German Shorthaired Pointer, Vizsla....a dog that can run with me :)

losangelena

Weeds out a lot of the dating pool for you, then. See it as a convenience!

Amusing thread... Pet ownership is dying?? More than three pets and you're dying alone? :D

I have two boxers, two parrots, a hamster and some tropical fish. I'm pretty happy with that. I'm sure it has put some people off dating me, but not the right people.

Surely pets are just one of the dozens of considerations that come with dating anyone?

I have two boxers, two parrots, a hamster and some tropical fish. I'm pretty happy with that.

are you running a zoo?

IMO, zero or one pet is normal, two pets is okay, three is very marginal, and four or more means someday they'll probably die alone and be eaten by their pets. :eek:

I have three cats, and if I could I would buy a large house and add a dog or two and a tea cup pig.

Im not weird or anti social I just believe in saving animals and giving them loving homes when many will not, and I have enough heart to give them all care and attention so why not eh.

And if I died and they ate me, I guess id just be glad I was there to feed them so they wouldn't die also HAHA! I should put that in my will (ps if my body is eaten just have me cremated instead)

Edited by Omei
todreaminblue

my house is like a science experiment in dog and cat behavior at the moment

i have four dogs of my own ......from a terrier mix to a rottie......two pure bred collies...i also have the next door neighbour's dog who is a puppy .....who will not go home.......and when he does he is getting stuck under the fence now because he is getting to big to fit under.....he is a great dane mix...he pitifully cries fro us to come save him when he gets stuck ...and we do.....

i also have two homeless people staying with me ....they have a dog also.....a little terrier mix who hates cats......or used to ...he doesnt hate them anymore.....he has been here a week....i have fish used to have a snake and two turtles both stray turtles..but they escaped in the big rainy days....and swam away when their enclosure overflowed..........i also have cats....i have two cats of my own....and am looking after stray kittens whose mother died of snake bite......

i find it a bit hard to date.......i think it would be hard for any guy dating me to understand that animals actually find me not the other way round......and they dont want to leave.....i try to find them good homes.....or their owners......deb

• Like 1
sweetjasmine
I personally think pet ownership in general is a dying market as we get more and more self-centered and selfish as a society (I know that I am). When I was a kid there were pet stores at the mall and downtown, now I don't see any anywhere anymore apart from the odd retail park.

Pet ownership increases every year and so does general spending on food, toys, accessories, etc.. The only sector of the pet industry that hasn't been increasing significantly is the amount spent on veterinary services. The reason why you don't see as many pet stores at the mall is that quite a large number of them were basically puppy mills and have been shut down for animal abuse and horrific conditions. More people are more educated and getting their pets from shelters and rescues.

I don't think there is a trend for small dogs, maybe in the early 2000's paris hilton age.

Depends on the region, but small dogs are still quite popular, chihuahuas in particular.

• Like 1
LifeandPerseverance

I'm just gonna chip in here and be the weird one. If having more than 3 animals means a woman is going to die alone, then I'm probably going to live 3 lifetimes alone.

As I type this my German Shepherd is laying on the floor looking at me (why, I have no clue--we just went for a mile walk in the snow). She's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I have a cat, but it's kind of a love/hate relationship, more on the hate side. I also have a handful of chickens. I absolutely love chickens. I have since I was a kid. They're kind of my thing. And I have rabbits.

I grew up with livestock, raced sled dogs in high school, had a horse in college, and animals have been a integral part of my life since I was born.

It bugs me when men ask "how many animals do you have?" or when someone gets appalled I have a coop of MULTIPLE chickens--like hello, they're like potato chips: You can't have just one! Having 4 chickens is as easy as caring for one! They're flock animals! And the rabbits. No one understands the rabbits. Maybe even I don't understand the rabbits. I just spent half the weekend at a rabbit show. Maybe this is why the guy I was interested in left.

Anyways, I see my animals as normal. They are much more a constant in my life than any S.O. has ever been.

And YES--some women do like big, sensible dogs. I like my big dog. I'd always wanted a shepherd. I grew up with a little of all breeds--Labs, Huskies, etc. We did have little dogs too, and I do like Chihuahuas--they're nice for small spaces. Example: Tomorrow, my shepherd will take up a ton of room in the car. A Chihuahua you put it in a bag and go. They're better for apartments, and probably much more cost effective and you can have them more places allowed while still having the comfort of having a dog. But I feel like big dogs are more practical.

• Like 3