Does it matter to you if your date has a college education or not?

BlackOpsZombieGirl

BlackOpsZombieGirl

I have dated guys who are college educated (like I am) and also guys who only have a high school education. I guess I've been pretty lucky that out of the both categories of these types of guys that I've dated, both were interesting, polite and we had shared chemistry. On one hand, I've dated college educated guys who had emotional issues and were irresponsible while some of the high school educated guys were well-adjusted and hardworking.

I mostly like to date guys who have a college education because I feel we're on the same level and the conversations we have are more interesting intellectually. However, if I find out by talking to a guy that he has never been to college (and has no intention of ever pursuing a degree) but he can carry on an interesting conversation and is knowledgeable about certain things, then his level of education won't matter to me. A shared chemistry and interesting interactions is what mostly matters to me.;)

Does it matter to you what level of education a person that you're dating has? If so, why? If not, why not?

Well I only have an Associates Degree, but I prefer only to date smart women who have at least done Some College (preferably at least an Associates like myself).

• Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
Well I only have an Associates Degree, but I prefer only to date smart women who have at least done Some College (preferably at least an Associates like myself).

^^^

This.

I also have an AA degree but am planning to attain my Bachelors and can hopefully start this summer if everything works out the way that I want it to. I agree with you about preferring to date intelligent (smart) guys but I try to keep an open mind with regard to people in general. I've learned that a guy who has a college education doesn't necessarily guarantee that we're going to connect on an intellectual level; but the chances of that happening are higher with someone who has had some college education or is currently pursuing a degree.

I dont care if my partner does not have a formal qualification. I am quite academic and love learning, so I would prefer a partner who is interested in society, history etc. i don't care of he has a piece of paper to prove it haha

In general higher education (some college or beyond) is linked to more money and better health outcomes as these individuals are more marketable.

The job market is tough and trying to get a good paying job with just a hs diploma is pretty hard (although some can get lucky if you go into a field like real estate but even then you have certain tests to pass and certificates to obtain)

I personally like to date men with my level or education or higher. Your college years are all about growing up, exposing you to new people, cultures, ways of thinking, etc. True someone can get that in the "real world" but college really puts you on the needed path for success I think.

Some other things to think about: would you be embarrassed/ashamed telling people your bf or husband didn't have a college degree? Would you have the main income? Are you OK with that? Would a guy without a college degree find college unnecessary/ not want to pay for his kids to go? No right or wrong answer here... but just make sure you can answer them in a way that satisfies you and makes you happy.

It matters to me - I generally only date women that have graduate degrees - minimum would be a bachelors. The primary reason is I like having the option to have deeper, intellectual conversations - a college degree is just an easy filter. It's not a perfect surrogate for intellectual knowledge/ability to have such conversations, but it's pretty visible and not waaay off base.

It does not matter to me and I have a higher education.

Some of the most unbalanced and emotionally immature people I have met had Masters or Doctorates. The level of academic education is in no way indicative of emotional intelligence.

• Like 3
Does it matter to you what level of education a person that you're dating has? If so, why? If not, why not?

At my stage of life I don't really care, as who people are reflects the totality of their life and it's pretty substantial at my age, with college or other level of education being a relatively minor part. I dated the gamut and, even back then didn't have a strong opinion nor did I see any correlation between education and relationship health or interpersonal skills or any other metric relevant to interpersonal relationships. Sure, the college folks generally had more polished critical thinking skills and could talk with bigger words but that was no guarantee of anything other than more inspired debates, IME.

Ironically, it would be one lady who had a quite extensive education, a medical doctor, who would end up being the most low-key and I daresay an anathema to the stereotype of an educated person in her private and personal relations. In essence, she left the trappings of all that stuff at the emergency room. The closest she came was with her knowledge of, and appreciation for, the arts and world affairs, aspects which made her quite interesting to interact with. However, I didn't date her, nor make love to her, because of the size of her vocabulary or medical degree, if you get my meaning. ;)

I don't care (I also have a higher degree). There are many intelligent hard-working people who never had the opportunity to complete a degree for x reason.

No.

I have a bachelors and am pursuing a masters, but as long as it does not matter to them, it does not matter to me.

I've never been with someone who went to college.

It does not matter to me and I have a higher education.

Some of the most unbalanced and emotionally immature people I have met had Masters or Doctorates. The level of academic education is in no way indicative of emotional intelligence.

Ain't that the truth!

I've never been with someone who went to college.

thats a shame Phoe, people who have more education enjoy great sex lives, in general

thats a shame Phoe, people who have more education enjoy great sex lives, in general

Really? I've never heard of that.

I've never been pursued by a college educated man so, really, I didn't have too much choice in the matter. Only one of the men I personally pursued in the past has a college education, now that I think about it.

When I was in college I at least was around college educated men, but now that I moved to a small town, it's not very common.

I'm not that picky about education levels, but I completely avoid women with certain types of degrees. I mean someone who did a 3 month CNA course is smarter than most people with a 4 year in something like women's studies.

I strongly prefer women with a science and engineering background. They think like me.

Well I am a college dropout. But a business owner.

Ex girlfriend was a high school dropout and I kept an open mind.

Current girlfriend has a bachelors in English but she is a Marketing Director for a medical technologies firm.

Ex girlfriend has perpetual waitress/bartending jobs while being a hooker on the side. So I prefer some education.

Maybe it depends on where you are from too.. I have a pretty open mind, not everyone is from a wealthy background to get a thorough education but it doesn't mean they are dumb. My ex was highly educated and ambitious in his field, but his communication, interpersonal, relationship skills and general knowledge were lacking. Anyway i dont hold it against him. He is very dedicated and passionate in his chosen field. General Intelligence cannot be measured by a piece of paper acquired by spending a few yrs reading textbooks and doing research.

Education and actual intelligence aren't the same. The people I've met in my short-lived college time were uninterested in topics other than money and clothing. With the stable groom where my horse was boarded I could have talked about any topic in the world, he just knew a little bit of everything, not just practical stuff.

Just check it out. No college doesn't mean no brain.

• Like 1

Some of the brightest, most intelligent and creative people are NOT college educated at all...many are self-educated through reading and experiencing...

In fact, I admire people who may not have had the resources (or desire) to go to college...but became successful nevertheless through ambition, drive and determination..

• Like 3
  • Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
Some of the brightest, most intelligent and creative people are NOT college educated at all...many are self-educated through reading and experiencing...

In fact, I admire people who may not have had the resources (or desire) to go to college...but became successful nevertheless through ambition, drive and determination..

^^^

This!

Katiegrl, sorry for giving some of your posts so many "likes" lol....it just seems like sometimes you write almost exactly what I'm thinking at the time!:cool:

TiffanyMyers

yes it matters to me if my date has a college education. In fact, it actually matters which college they come from. The smarter the guy is, the sexier I would see him, and the converse is probably true for women too :)

I know this might sound elitist but it's true. As a Stanford graduate, I date guys who are around the same level of intellect as me, because of the level of conversation and emotional intimacy is all interlinked with intelligence, our outlook in life, the way we view sex, etc.

Not saying that you should exclusively date someone with a college education, it really depends on what you want. But at the end of the day, I'd go with someone of comparable intellect.

• Like 1
^^^

This!

Katiegrl, sorry for giving some of your posts so many "likes" lol....it just seems like sometimes you write almost exactly what I'm thinking at the time!:cool:

Hey BlackOps .. thank you! And no need to apologize... receiving "likes" never gets old! :)

Intelligence matters more than a piece of paper to me. I know some complete morons that went to college. I have a degree but most of what I have learned is outside of a classroom.

• Like 1