Does a date's/mate's musical tastes influence your attraction to them?

BlackOpsZombieGirl

BlackOpsZombieGirl

Music is a VERY important part of my life!:cool: I listen to music just about every day and, although I TRY to be open with all kinds of music, there are specific types of music that I love listening to and other types of music that I don't like and will NOT listen to unless I have no other choice.

I'm into pop, indie, DnB, death metal, hip-hop, blues, dubstep, house mix, trance and SOME bluegrass. Any other music outside of my preferences would be a challenge for it to "grow on me", no matter who I was dating or was in a relationship with. In a relationship, I would compromise and listen to my mate's musical stylings as long as he reciprocated.

Does/would your date's (or mate's) taste in music influence how attracted you were to them? Would it influence your decision in being with them long term if their taste in music differed from yours?

Edited by BlackOpsZombieGirl
  • Like 1
LookAtThisPOst

If the guy didn't have a passion for music, but loved gaming and horror films starring Bruce Campbell.... Would it be moot?

LOL

Music is a VERY important part of my life!:cool: I listen to music just about every day and, although I TRY to be open with all kinds of music, there are specific types of music that I love listening to and other types of music that I don't like and will NOT listen to unless I have no other choice.

I'm into pop, indie, DnB, death metal, hip-hop, blues, dubstep, house mix, trance and SOME bluegrass. Any other music outside of my preferences would be a challenge for it to "grow on me", no matter who I was dating or was in a relationship with. In a relationship, I would compromise and listen to my mate's musical stylings as long as he reciprocated.

Does/would your date's (or mate's) taste in music influence how attracted you were to them? Would it influence your decision in being with them long term if their taste in music differed from yours?

• Like 3
Harold of Andraste

Her taste in music is only really a factor if she lets her music dictate her lifestyle. For example if she lives hip-hop, goth etc.

Other than that a woman can like whatever she likes as long as she is aware of what kind of music I don't like and doesn't play it really loud when I'm around.

That said it's cool for a woman to have different tastes than my own that way she can expose me to different types of music.

• Like 2

I have heard that dancing is a vertical metaphor for horizontal behaviors.

So, at least be able to dance well together, whatever your tastes may be. ;)

• Like 1
todreaminblue

the only music i would find it hard to listen to is music with lyrics that are horrid......derogatory to faith, women and people in general....i cant be with a guy who listens to demonic music.....i find death metal to be like shredding my skin off with a vegetable peeler....thats how it feels inside....my version of hell

i have eclectic musical tastes and can appreciate good music across the genres..... always have loved music......

i cant appreciate demonic music..f god f the world kill them all type of music.and i wouldnt want to have to appreciate it.....its not for me...and honestly i doubt the guy who listened to it would really like me once he got to know who i am.....anyway he would probably hate me...never gone out with a guy who listens to demonic music.deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 2

It does not matter if our taste in music are at opposite ends as long as he agrees on my 1 rule: Who ever drives gets to pick the music.

That is how I got learn about the 50 different types of heavy metals my daughter listens to and she got to know about Miranda Lambert lol. I think the same principal can be applied to a boyfriend.

• Like 2

In my younger days I could tell everything about a person by their musical taste. It was my job, pretty much. I could see someone and have a pretty good idea what their preference would be, and I could tell a lot by what they bought, until it all meshed together. So it's very important to me. If they don't connect with me on music, then they have to hit a few more minor points: love animals, be creative in some regard, be in my neighborhood politically, be literary to some degree. My taste got very specialized from oversaturation, and I like old stuff now, so it's rare to connect with someone I don't already know on music these days.

My whole memory system is tied up in music association, literally.

If someone plays the wrong thing, it can be a dealbreaker. A punk rocker once put on the country radio station right when things were about to get heated up, and I just completely fizzled. He didn't take it personally. I think he knew better that to try that with me but just couldn't stop himself. He was a closet country music fan, later a cowpunk.

• Like 1

It does a little bit. I pretty much like everything but I have particular preferences. Meeting someone who's at least nearly as eclectic as me and as passionate about music as I am would be optimum. But failing that, the influence is relatively minimal in the grand scheme.

• Like 1

^ Jethro Tull, I can do. Rush and Grateful Dead, nuh-uh. JT, you had to be there. There is nothing else like it, but you had to be in the time to appreciate its uniqueness and weirdness.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

I'm a musician, like a VERY wide variety, and am accepting of whatever sounds happen to please another's ears.

• Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
Hi BlackOpsZombieGirl. I like your user name!

Thanks, Whiskey Cerebrum! I like yours too! It's got a little drinky and a little thinky in it!:cool:

Yes, for me, a date's love of music was very important. I think I'm a lot like you, I am passionate about music (both playing and listening), and it was important to find a partner who felt the same way. I don't play professionally, but my partner has played professionally on and off for 10 years. His 'day' job is driving buses, so he uses music to unwind! I grew up in a house where music was beloved above everything else, so to date someone who didn't understand that seemed...not right.

Exactly! It's cool to read a poster who understands the importance that music may have in someone's life and that it could influence a person's decision with regard to accepting a partner into their life.

As for music taste, yes, I think it does have a lot to do with how well you mesh. I have dated people in the past who were passionate about music, but it was hip hop and house, and that's not my cup of tea. I share similar tastes with my partner (rock, blues, metal, alternative, punk), so there are rarely any fights when it comes to picking the music for the car stereo. We also have a rule, which is "when in doubt, play Led Zeppelin", because that's both our favourite.

Ha! I love Led! It brings back lots of high school memories...hangin' out with my friends after school...making out in my boyfriend's car...drinking Old Milwaukee Light beer for the first time...playing video games on my Atari....ahhh yes, awesome memories...:D

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

Haha.. Not gonna lie. Anytime I see that a woman loves country, it is an instant turn off. These days it feels like country music and sushi are the two trendy things to like. But i can't stand either one.

• Like 1

Old school gritty country is good but not the new stuff. It just sounds like cheap 80s rock with a southern accent.

• Like 1
I wish I could be so choosey! Almost every woman I meet these days like the same old pop music that every other girl listens to. I hate that crap. Sigh.

Nothing wrong with pop music! *dances to Katy Perry*

acrosstheuniverse

Yes. They have to have a taste in music. As in, actually actively choose to listen to music and have a preference for what they're into. Someone saying 'I love music, I listen to anything' when they're unable to even name a single album, song or artist that means anything to them is the kiss of death for a date for me.

I'm a musician on several instruments, have a music degree, have played in orchestras and metal bands all over Europe, I spend all of my free time and money pursuing gigs in other cities, a guy doesn't need to be into the exact same music as me (I'm most into the new generation of progressive rock/progressive metal, a little bit of French electro and a huge load of Classical, especially Romantic era) but if they have their own musical tastes and are into music and it means a lot to them and plays a large role in their life, that's fine with me. I don't need someone to 'get' my music, I just need them to get that feeling with something of their own.

I've never dated a non-musician, it just wouldn't work. I need someone to understand the biggest part of my life and to be able to share it with me. Plus I listen to music/watch gig DVDs a LOT, if a guy wasn't interested in the stuff I listen to it would be pretty much hell for him to be around me for any length of time haha. I can compromise to an extent... but only to an extent. Music gives me so much pleasure I could and would never give it up.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say it was a complete deal breaker, but there would have to be some overlap.

At least *some* of the music would have to be to our tastes. Otherwise it would just be impossible to peacefully coexist, I think.

I'm an old school metalhead (Thrash mainly) but I also listen to newer stuff. I have four guitars and a drum kit, so that kind of gives away how much of a music lover I am. I also listen to various rock, pop, indie, hip-hop and dance.

I seem to find that in OLD, most people's musical taste is limited to The X Factor (American Idol for those in the US) and the latest 'autotuned-diva' singer. As much as I am open minded musically, I draw the line at manufactured artists. It certainly wouldn't put me off dating somebody, but if having to sit through The X Factor every Saturday was a condition of the relationship, then I'm afraid she would need a new boyfriend!

Where is the market for metalhead gamers in their 40s these days? #geek4life

Edited by Moy
  • Like 1

I am tone deaf. Music means nothing to me. So what somebody else listens to doesn't matter to me. I also do not like big concerts very much. I can handle 1-2 per year but no more.

My lack of interest in music has adversely affected my relationship with a few guys who were musicians. They couldn't fathom how I had no interest in something they were so passionate about. Even my BIL who is a professional musician (actually makes a good living from it) shakes his head in wonder that I have no level of understanding & can't tell one band from the next.

^ Jethro Tull, I can do. Rush and Grateful Dead, nuh-uh. JT, you had to be there. There is nothing else like it, but you had to be in the time to appreciate its uniqueness and weirdness.

Haa, I just missed it, birds and elephants? I like Pink Floyd, same genre different sound. There isn't too much I don't like: classical, old rock, old county, some new (like Garth for instance, that wacko), blues, even some pop. If "Thriller" starts playing on the radio I can't stop myself. :laugh:

Yeah, there's always earphones or a car to escape in, no worries.

This is definitely something that I look for in a partner. Concerts are something I go to on the regular so it's nice to have someone with the same taste as me. It's funny cause i'm dating a new guy right now and we went on our 3rd date this week to a hockey game. We rode together and I put my iPod in and we were jamming some Metallica haha I know he likes them, but I told him i'm a rocker through and through. Not much into the pop stuff. As long as they don't hate on my music taste then it will work out and vice versa!

• Like 1
  • Author
BlackOpsZombieGirl
I'm an old school metalhead (Thrash mainly) but I also listen to newer stuff. I have four guitars and a drum kit, so that kind of gives away how much of a music lover I am. I also listen to various rock, pop, indie, hip-hop and dance.

I seem to find that in OLD, most people's musical taste is limited to The X Factor (American Idol for those in the US) and the latest 'autotuned-diva' singer. As much as I am open minded musically, I draw the line at manufactured artists. It certainly wouldn't put me off dating somebody, but if having to sit through The X Factor every Saturday was a condition of the relationship, then I'm afraid she would need a new boyfriend!

Where is the market for metalhead gamers in their 40s these days? #geek4life

Thrash? Never heard of that lol. Four guitars?! Awesome!! Lead or Bass? It's cool that you jam to various pop, hip-hop, indie and dance...because I think most women LOVE to dance!

X-Factor and "auto-tuned" singers lol?? I stopped watching shows like X and AI a long time ago. I just got bored with 'em. As far as "auto-tuned" singers, well...as long as I like the song itself - the melody, the beat or/and the lyrics - then I'll jam to it.:cool: But mostly, I like songs that are sung by singers who have true talent. But, since I'm open minded with regard to various types of music, if the song has a "catchy" tune and I find myself singing/humming it in my mind or outloud lol, then that means I *LIKE* the song, regardless of who's singing it or how it's produced/re-mastered.;)

Um, if a significant other that I loved and cared about and shared amazing chemistry with watched X-Factor every Saturday; then I'd be watching or doing something ELSE while they were doing that! It would take a HUGE difference of musical tastes of someone that I absolutely adored for me to NOT want to be with them or for it to be a deal breaker for me!:eek: Thanks for your post, Moy! You seem like you'd be a fun and easy-going person to hang with!:D