Differences between "wedding ring", "engagement ring", 'promise ring", 'couple rings"

HisPresence

Differences between "wedding ring", "engagement ring", 'promise ring", 'couple rings" in western culture.

I have a question. Please forgive this Chinese-American girl due to she don't know much about 'western' culture when it come to the difference between 'wedding ring', 'engagement ring', 'promise ring' and 'couple rings', etc...

okay, pardon me but in my Chinese culture 'engagement ring" is not something common, it more of a 'western thing and Chinese later adapt it.

From what I know "engagement ring" is usually the guy buy for the girl to wear. He "officially" propose, and give her the 'engagement ring" as a promise to married her.

Usually this "engagement ring" type would have a diamond/crystal or some sort of rock on it. The girls love it, and show their engagement ring to her family and friends, BUT I only see the girl wear it. Does the guy buy himself an 'Engagement ring" and wear it too?

It is like a 'pair' of engagement ring that BOTH wear it, or just one engagement ring for the girl to wear only? I'm kindda confuse.

"promise ring" is for the younger generation type, like high school/college, early twenties type of people. It is similar to 'engagement ring' where the guy buy it for the girl to wear. He showing a promise to her, and an engagement ring would come next.

As for "wedding rings", this I know, so no need explaination on that. Whether it Chinese or American culture, wedding rings is all the same meaning.

The "couple rings". My BF have NOT 'officially" propose to me yet. But he bought a pair of matching rings for us. I guess it called "couple band rings" according to the western culture right? Someone say it like a mutual commitment type of rings right?

But how are 'couple rings' suppose to look like to others western culture couples? Anyone here wear couples band rings before? which hand/finger suppose to wear it on? Or is my BF a freak?

Are 'couple rings' just plain gold band like the 'wedding' band? He just got us the plain band type with No design, No rock on it, just simple plain matching band.

It the thoughts that count and I appreciate him for it.

Engagement ring: An engagement ring is given to a lady by a man. It's a marriage promise, traditionally it's a promise to marry within a year. Usually when you buy an engagement ring you buy at the same time the wedding rings. For the lady her engagement ring and wedding ring is a set that fits together. Yes usually the engagement ring has diamond and is shaped in a way the wedding band will match it.

Promise ring: For teenagers

Couple rings: Couples rings are rings unmarried couples wear (in wedding band finger) to indicate to the outside world they are in an a common-law relationship. They will not marry or get engagedbut have the same commitment toward each other.You and your boyfriend live together?If not I don't see the purpose of having couples rings. If you are only dating and get yourself matching rings it's no more than if you got yourself matching t-shirts.

• Like 1

My BF have NOT 'officially" propose to me yet.

So do you have plans of getting engaged? If yes then why doesn't he wait the engagement to spend his money on rings? Why buy wedding bands rings that won't be wedding bands?

But how are 'couple rings' suppose to look like to others western culture couples? Anyone here wear couples band rings before? which hand/finger suppose to wear it on? Or is my BF a freak?

Couples ring can look anything you wish and be of any material you wish.

If a man I date got me couples rings I would conclude he has no intention of getting engage or marry soon.