Blocking your number...

Gloria25

Well, sometimes on OLD someone just "volunteers" their telephone number and since we haven't met in person yet, I'm hesitant to give them my tel.

Would you be offended if you got a call back from someone and their number was blocked so you can't see it and they won't volunteer it to you?

I mean, so far the guy who gave me the tel, he is attractive - but like I said, we haven't even met in person so I'm apprehensive about giving him my tel.

Well, sometimes on OLD someone just "volunteers" their telephone number and since we haven't met in person yet, I'm hesitant to give them my tel.

Would you be offended if you got a call back from someone and their number was blocked so you can't see it and they won't volunteer it to you?

I mean, so far the guy who gave me the tel, he is attractive - but like I said, we haven't even met in person so I'm apprehensive about giving him my tel.

Just tell him you're not ready to give out your number until you meet that's what I did, if you give out your number people will just blow up your cell in attempts to get to know you and its cool that they want too but I found responding to texts all day to be very tiresome and at times even annoying.

• Like 1
LoveRefreshed

No, in my experience, being attractive is the best sign that someone is safe to give your number to.

wtf does that have to do with it? lol.

• Author
No, in my experience, being attractive is the best sign that someone is safe to give your number to.

wtf does that have to do with it? lol.

It has to do with it cuz when I'm attracted to/interested in that person, I'm not gonna hold back certain things...

If I give a guy my tel, that means I'm interested and not worried about whether or not he's gonna blow up my phone...shoot, I might welcome him blowing up my phone :laugh:

But, some guy I met on OLD that I haven't even met in person yet? Even if I'm finding them attractive, still weary about giving out my tel to a stranger.

Hmmm...I crazily (yes, crazily-it's a word) have given my number to like 3 guys in the past on Tinder before and as of yet, no stalkers or serial killers after me. I think it's the appropriate order to initiate conversation via telephone THEN meet in person...that's just my opinion, though. There aren't any rules. Do whatever feels most comfortable to you.

• Like 1
LoveRefreshed

yes, but if you're uncomfortable since you haven't met him yet or talked to him enough, then don't give him your number. This should be independent of whether or not he is attractive.

I have known a lot of decent looking guys to be weirdos, man. More so than us unblessed riff raff ;)

• Like 1

Get a free Google number and download the Google talk app to your phone. That way they will never see your real number unless you want to give it to them later. Google also makes it easy to block if needed.

• Like 2

Where I live it's impossible to locate someone by using their cellular number, for this reason I feel pretty safe giving it to someone I have not met yet.

That being said I will only give it to someone I am really interested in meeting.

I have given it 10s of times over the past years. One or two ended up texting and calling repetitively after I declined seeing them again but usually when you tell them to quit it or you will call the authorities they submit to your request.

Yes we need to be safe while doing online dating but being afraid of giving your phone number if it's impossible to trace it is a little exaggerated in my opinion.

• Like 3

If you choose to take advantage of their number you should probably return the favor and give them yours. Or else you're starting up a pretty unhealthy dynamic right off the bat, where one person takes but doesn't give.

I know there are inherent risks to dating for women that there aren't for men but I have noticed the very few who have tried to run me through the ringer in that regard "you might be a serial killer!" just weren't ready to date period. I'm not a serial killer, and neither are 99.999% of my fellow men.

No biggie, standard operating procedure for OLD and women who want to stay safe..

If he has a problem with it then he was looking for more than conversation and getting to know you.

• Like 1
mortensorchid

Nothing wrong with not wanting to give out your number to someone you don't know all that well, whether you met them face to face or on OLD. If you're not comfortable at this moment, tell him on the website that you will take his number and may call in a day or two once you have thought about it.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with not giving out your number!!

However... I have my phone settings so that any and all blocked numbers go straight to voice mail. And before that I never ever answered them. So that could be an issue you might run into if you decide to call him on a blocked number...

I don't really do OLD, but have never had issues giving my number out... So many people have it... I give it out to people I just met, if we're working together, as it makes it easier to get in touch.

And if they blow up my phone and I don't like it... I'll just block their numbers as well! I have a nice collection on my reject list already (of spam/scammer callers)

• Like 1

The key is you don't know him at all. He's a stranger. He might be attractive in his profile but how do you know it's really him?

This isn't about showing you're interested in him. It's about being safe and protecting yourself until you get to know him. And there are enough scammers out there, too.

And, by the way, he should understand your reluctance to give out your phone number if he's a quality guy.

My advice: Don't give out your phone number - whether it's a cell number or not - until you get to know him better - preferably by meeting him.

• Like 1

OP, how do you know he is attractive if you haven't met him? Sometimes people send/post a fake pic or an old pic.But no, I would not give ph # until we had met. I did that once a long time ago and regretted it. The guy just wanted to talk endlessly and always had an excuse for not being able to meet, which made me suspicious. I stopped taking his calls and moved on. You need to arrange to meet for coffee asap. If he says he's too busy then he's too busy to be playing around on a dating site.

• Like 1

I'd be annoyed. I would think he was unusually paranoid. Unless he is a celebrity or high profile figure who cannot afford to have people having his number all willy nilly (and presumably such a person isn't online dating) then I would expect that giving out one's number is not that serious esp since cell phones are not attached to your home address most times and cannot be looked up in the same way your home telephone can link to your address.

If you're paranoid get a Google number. I have friends who do that for business where you can get a free Google number that screens your calls. The number is different from your cell number but it goes to your cell and the person has to say who is calling.

For me, if I am interested I give out my number, if you are not interested enough to give them your number why are you going to go out with the person? I am not going to meet a guy from online whom I've never even spoken to on the phone. That to me is weird. It is way more personal (and dangerous) to meet in person than give out your number. I talk to ALL my dates before going anywhere with them. I usually can tell on the phone if we can talk easily, laugh, have some rapport so that when we do meet I don't feel like I'm meeting a total stranger. I also use the phone to screen out dudes as some guys have nothing to say on the phone or in live phone conversations say some weird stuff and I realize nope...can't do it. So for me, speaking voice to voice beforehand is a must. I cannot just send online messages then go meet...that's so weird to me.

Nothing negative has ever come of it. All that can happen is I don't like him and he texts or calls me when I don't want him to and at that point I can block his number if he is doing it a lot, but so far a man may text or call me a few times and if I ignore he doesn't bother. I'd think a man was unduly paranoid to act like giving out his number was that deep.

Edited by MissBee
  • Like 2

Oh, I read that wrong... yes. I'd be really offended by that. My phone is set to not accept unlisted numbers.

Perhaps he's been attracting women who were not balanced and this is how he's protecting himself. Probably is using a google number to give out.

LookAtThisPOst
Just tell him you're not ready to give out your number until you meet that's what I did, if you give out your number people will just blow up your cell in attempts to get to know you and its cool that they want too but I found responding to texts all day to be very tiresome and at times even annoying.

I never agree to meet someone in person unless I've talked to them first. Who knows, it could be a man. :laugh: