Anyone else frown upon sharing your relationship on social media?

Maxie Max

There is a friend of mine that posts nothing put things about her relationship. Ok, that is great and fine that he's her life. :love: What stands out to me though are the posts of them sucking each other's tongues, him undressing in the bedroom and her more or less stating that they are about to have sex. Posting how he is in bed and more.

To me, I find that type of thing to be kept to one's self.

acrosstheuniverse

Yeah that's way too much!

I have my relationship listed on facebook, I upload photos of us together just smiling (not kissy photos) now and then, but maybe two or three times in a year, and sometimes tag him in joint things (say, a present we received together or a restaurant we're at together) but that's it. No profile picture of the two of us, no soppy posts about anniversaries, nada.

I learned the hard way... when I was with my ex I mentioned him in statuses, had him as my profile picture sometimes, and when we split I found it incredibly hard knowing that I'd been so open and gushy about him and our relationship. I hated that I put across this image of the perfect relationship and showed the world how in love I was with him, but he dumped me anyway. I felt really humiliated in a way.

So I'd never be that 'open' about my relationship on facebook again. Too risky. If it ends, you regret it all and it just hurts. And although I have him listed as my boyfriend and there are photos of us together, I feel that's fairly restrained compared to some of the 'omg I'm so in love' statuses you see out there, or photos of couples with tongues down each other's throats.

I really don't mind seeing those kind of posts though. Just makes me happy to see someone really happy in a relationship. But not for me. I'm more than just my relationship so you'll find me posting more about my friendships, my hobbies, my work, my travels than you will about a guy I'm in a relationship with.

It's really hard to explain or describe. Just, I dislike putting it out there so blatantly how happy and in love I am in case it's taken away from me tomorrow. Sad, maybe. But I wouldn't feel embarrassed or upset removing the stuff I have on there of him if we split because it's minimal compared to the rest of the stuff I share, although we do have photos of us together uploaded as part of an overall night with other people, as well as the small handful of couply photos (with no more touching than arms around each other facing the camera).

Yeah, I think that's a bit TMI to be honest. I think some people just overshare on social media generally, so if they find themselves in a relationship, youre gonna know about that too.

I personally don't post on social media unless its established, as id feel a bit stupid if we broke up. Plus, when I start seeing someone, I generally have less time to post on social media anyway.

Im currently observing an entire relationship play out on Twitter between a social media obsessed guy/girl. Literally, indirect tweets to each other when they have a tiff, loved up tweets between them when theyre doing ok...I think their relationship would have a better chance if they took a break from social media to be honest, as they rile each other up on there.

• Like 1
There is a friend of mine that posts nothing put things about her relationship. Ok, that is great and fine that he's her life. :love: What stands out to me though are the posts of them sucking each other's tongues, him undressing in the bedroom and her more or less stating that they are about to have sex. Posting how he is in bed and more.

Are they exhibitionists?

Social media is sometimes used to get attention. I rather think displays like this just shows how shallow and empty some people's lives are.

• Like 1

Oh wow,

Some people have no life....

I don't even tell my gfs, family, etc about my sex life. The guys I've been with, they have no idea how good/bad they are/were in bed, what "size" they are...they even don't know if/when I had sex.

Yea, I watch(ed) Sex and the City, but nah, in real life, I'm not having those candid convos with gfs, family, and/or friends.

Also, I respect my partner's privacy. Yes, I'm here anonymously on social media. But, I'm sure from what I posted about guys I have/am interested in/dating - no one in real life would know who they are unless they are that person (i.e. my recent crush following me on MBs).

I don't think what the OP mentioned this FB poster is doing has to do with exhibitionism...I think it's a lot of "attention-hoing", disrespect, and stupid. She needs to get a life if all she has going on is the guy she's boinking.

This is one of the reasons I closed my personal Facebook account. People are so desperate for others to notice them that they share ridiculous things.

I had friends updating me on their weight everyday and how disappointed they were when they ate a piece of dessert.

I had friends talking about their ex is a negative way almost every second post they posted.

I had friends who posted a picture of themselves in nothing but a shirt.

The list goes on and on. I just didn't care about useless stuff like that so I finally closed down my account. I spend way less time looking at other people's lives and way more time focusing on my own!

Probably fishing for attention. Personally I barely share anything at all about myself on Facebook, there are only 3 photos of me there (not much considering I've had an account there since 2009). I'm still rarely interested in the oh so philosophical quotes most people post and don't check people's pages at all. Chatting with my gaming guilds only.

Way too much information. I stopped logging in to facebook over a year ago and I don't miss it at all. Out of hundreds of contacts I only found a handful that posted anything interesting. I actually found myself losing respect for good friends that would post too much personal information, or otherwise brag about things in their life unnecessarily, especially when I knew from real contact with them that their lives were being falsely represented over social media and they were only posting for attention because they were lacking it in real life.

Theres very little that is more annoying than 'that' couple appearing in your newsfeed, acting like they just invented sex.

• Author
Way more important things to worry about, or even be concerned about. Why do you care how they treat their relationship?

The time you took to type this, you could have scrolled past this entire thread if you feel this way.

• Like 1

I'm the opposite extreme- I do have Facebook but I don't share anything about my life, especially not about my relationship. I don't think that my private life is anyone's concern, and my friends and family do know about my life and see pictures etc- I don't need the whole world to see that I'm in love.

What I find most ridiculous are those couples who keep writing on each others wall, stuff like 'I'm so honoured and glad to have the best boyfriend ever..' bla bla. Not just once but all the time. I mean, can't you just say to each other personally that you love each other and are happy to be together?

When I was 18, I posted all these lovey-dovey status updates about my boyfriend at the time. He was actually pretty crappy to me. The truth is that the more people do that, the less real it is in my opinion. I now like more privacy surrounding that kind of thing. I've learnt from my mistakes in the past :S. Now I try and post hardly anything. I don't even like putting my relationship status up because to me that's a major thing to do - I won't be ready to make a full public announcement until it's more serious now. I don't even post many status updates at all recently. Basically I heavily filter the impression I give online.

I love seeing people's lovey-dovey statuses. I think they're great! I would not like to see details of a random friend's sexual escapades - except maybe rarely and in humorous innuendo - on Facebook.

I never have posted such things because I wasn't on social media until my last relationship, and he was very private and I respected his wishes on such things by never mentioning him in any way (even photos). Since then, I've not been with anyone exclusively and in excess of several months,which I feel is a prerequisite to making a relationship public.

I roll my eyes at people posting at constant changing relationship statuses that change every other week.

However, the long relationships - in love posts? Awesome. They make me smile. And I don't judge if there's a breakup later for those, as long as it's done quietly and non-dramatically.