Is it time for a holiday break up?

rs3399

Hi all, new to the forum here but desperate for some advice. I'll try and keep this as short as possible while still giving background info…

My boyfriend and I have been dating about 6 months and we are both in our mid 20s.

This week was Hanukkah (I'm jewish I don't celebrate christmas) and I have seen him about 2 times since the holiday started and he has yet to give me a present and I am starting to think he is not going to. I got him something small for Christmas and haven't given it to him yet. While I'm not materialistic at all and don't really care about the present I would have appreciated a card or flowers or something really. I know he wasn't planning on getting his family presents so maybe he just doesn't like to give gifts. He definitely has the money though (and again I'm not even asking for something big even a heartfelt note would be enough). It's starting to make me wonder if maybe he really doesn't care about me and this is just the final straw. While normally I would think this would be a petty reason to break up it is starting to feel like the last straw or an indicator of how little he cares about me.

Does this seem like a red flag that should indicate to me he really doesn't care about me? Or am I reading too much into this? I'm planning on giving him his present still and talk to him about it, but is it even worth it to do that or is the relationship hopeless?

TL;DR: been dating about 6 months, no holiday present, no ily yet, does that mean he doesn't care about me?

Edited by rs3399
Shortened

Why don't you wait and see what happens after Christmas before you jump the gun? You said you got him a Christmas gift, maybe he's going to do the same regardless of whether you are Jewish or not.

Do you know how much if anything he knows about Chanukah? Try teaching him & then see what happens at Christmas. He may simply have not thought about it & gotten you a Christmas present. That's not great considering it's not your holiday but it's better than nothing

• Author

Thanks for the advice! I plan on waiting to talk to him for a little and see if he says anything but he does know a fair bit about Hanukkah because he has Jewish friends and he helped my find my sister a present. I've been questioning his feeling for me a lot lately and this kind of feels like the last straw but I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it.