1st Date Disaster!!! Worth A 2nd Chance??

pinkie

So.... met this guy out one night.. he seemed very cool and funny, he asked for my # and I gave it to him.

Backstory: I had just gotten out of a 3 year relationship 2 weeks prior. Not really looking to jump right back into anything, but meeting and hanging out, making new friends...

So, he texts almost immediately (like very early that same night/morning). I was asleep so never responded. He text again the next day and all that week we text back and forth and agreed to go on a 'day date' (?). Now just getting to know this person, he seems fine, we have a few common interests, he has a plan for his future, etc. But his background seems vague, and there are already red flags... (no car for suspended license, just moved here, doesn't know anyone, and not living in the best neighborhood..) I ended up having to pick him up for our 1st date. He is a few years older than me.. an ADULT in his 40's... He has a job as a server for a restaurant chain.. He basically is starting all over...? Prior to this he was a bartender/ drummer in a band, his lifelong dream...

Anyway... we get to our destination and all is fine... beer is flowing, food having pretty good conversation. Then he wants to start doing 'shots'... OK! I'm in!! I couldn't tell you how many we did... but what I noticed was he stopped talking completely.. we engage with other people at some point while playing pool. Leave that place, and continue to another BAR... more shots.. at some point, this guy pulls my hair (really really hard) I ask him to stop, but he does it again... I'm doing everything in my power to keep from punching him.. it's at this point I realize he's really drunk!! He's walking around talking to other people, but hardly saying a thing to me... wouldn't sit down. So then he starts with this 'I'm gonna leave'.. so I'm like, well let's just go somewhere else... 'maybe he's uncomfortable' thinking... now I've had a few.. I notice the red flags, but I'm just going with the flow... anyway, the next place we go, I ended up leaving him.

I sent him a text later that nite to please Eff Off and to lose my #. (I know not very nice, but succinct.. so I thought) This guy has text me all week, apologizing, saying that he blacked out and doesn't remember anything from a certain point (playing pool), He doesn't want to ruin what could be great, that he wants a 'do over' blah blah blah... I have ignored every text and have NOT responded. (too passive?) Why won't this guy take a hint? Why won't he leave me alone and what should I do? After him texting all week, I'm wondering if I should really give this guy a 2nd chance or not... He really seems like a pretty decent guy SOBER. Should I RUN like hell?!.. Thoughts??

• Author

Thanks for the 2 responses above... I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track... Instead of allowing this guy to wear me down.

DivorcedDad123

No way! He has lots of issues he needs to address before he even THINKS of dating. I second blocking him on your phone,or he'll be pestering you forever,until you finally feel sorry for him. It's a cycle that will repeat over and over again,if you let it.

• Like 1

I have to agree with everyone else. As a "reformed heavy drinker" myself, I can tell you, you don't reach the point of having walking around, talking blackouts, unless you've been drinking very heavy for a long time.

That's because he's build up a staggering amount of tolerance. Most people, when they get too drunk, pass out. After you've been practicing at drinking a while, you no longer passout, you blackout. And a blackout is basically passing out, but still being mobile. A dangerous state to be in.

Yeah, avoid this guy. He needs to realize he has a problem and work on himself. Even in my worst days, I wouldn't get drunk on a first date!

• Like 2