Do you find men who play video games unattractive?

AVarma

Video games are actually one of my hobbies. I realize it's a solitary hobby since I don't like multiplayer and prefer single player. So for you women out there, does it drive you crazy when men play video games? Would it be a dealbreaker?

I just bought my husband an Xbox One after his 360 died. Who am I to choose what he does to relax? Like enigma said, I have my things, he has his.

If he played every moment of his spare time, it would be a problem.

• Like 8
I going to ask you a question and please don't be offended:

Who the hell cares??

You're thinking too hard boss.

Pretty much this.

Work more on being ok with who you are.

Worry less about what other people think. Just focus on finding *your* people.

• Like 2

Some people will care, some won't.

Just like how I don't care for tattoos and smoking, most people around me do like them.

And I am sure the women that is interested in me won't be turned off that I play on my Nintendo 3DS XL with my Pokemon games, especially since I can stop playing them at any time. I am not even close to addicted with them.

Stop worrying about it unless you play like 12 hours a day, in which case, you need to cut it down because that isn't good for you anyway, let alone your relationships will suffer as well. I have a hard time playing 1 hour a day just to get daily stuff done, let alone 4 hours for a raid dungeon on World of Warcraft.

• Like 1
I going to ask you a question and please don't be offended:

Who the hell cares??

You're thinking too hard boss.

You know that last part could have been a great pun for this topic.

• Like 1

I used to play World of Warcraft for years, now I dont.

I love games I would play them with my boyfriend if I had one but only console now I wouldnt want a boyfriend who played online mmo's all the time.

Honestly since I quit my life has flurished much more, I know what they can do to people and I know how many hours you need to play to get decent enough to partake in things like raiding its a never ending spiral of upkeep you must do in online mmos.

Most of the men that are the all day type players have some serious lack of social skills as well. Some are even gaint man children.

Console, yes

online mmo, nay

Edited by Omei

I think finding a guy under 45 that doesn't play on some level would be rare.

I think some women have an issue when they feel they play too much.

Enter image of a 30 year old guy in his boxer shorts hanging out in his moms basement slamming energy drinks and playing call of duty 16 hours a day......Yeah I don't see that being any womans dream man.

Everything in balance is the key. I personally prefer a guy who has real life adventures that he can tell me about....like that awesome mountain bike ride where he saw a javelina, or some cool people he played laser tag with. But gaming in moderation is fine. As others have mentioned, 12 hours a day and the resultant social awkwardness and body odor would be a turn off for me, and most women. Have other interests and you'll interest a wider range of women.

Lernaean_Hydra

No. Wtf? It's just a hobby, like woodworking or bomb making. (ok I'm kidding about that last part).

• Like 5

My guy plays them (as do I). :) Obviously addiction would be a problem, but that would apply to pretty much everything, not just gaming.

The reason some people have stereotypes against gamers is partly ignorance, yes, but also partly because there really are quite a few bad apples in the gamer basket. For some reason some immature asshats like to use the 'gamer' title to justify crappy things that they do, which just gives the rest of us a bad name.

There are some types of games out there thats goal is to literally suck your life away a good example is Leauge Of Legends unlike other mmo's you are not allowed to AFK (away from keyboard) whatsoever if you do players are allowed to make a report and you will receive a ban, you dont need many reports, also if you need to leave a game at any point and time their regulations are you can be reported and banned, or the game masters will just do it themselves, the games last up to 30-2 hours per and continue without breaks the entire game offers no other content so really those 30-2 hour games are a joke its actually a soild streach of play untill you stop, because you cannot leave without getting consequence. Players will spend great lengths to make sure they don't suffer consequence you should hear how mad they get is they dc " GREAT NOW IM ****ING GOING TO BE LOCKED OUT" or my personal fav from my ex "I already afk and left a few games this week if I stop playing now I might not be able to return"

I remember near the downfall of my last relationships when my ex played and it got to a point where we just didn't talk much anymore because hed be unable to, due to the rules of them game.

Its redic.

Online mmos booooo

Console YAY!

Edited by Omei
  • Like 1
There are some types of games out there thats goal is to literally suck your life away a good example is Leauge Of Legends unlike other mmo's you are not allowed to AFK (away from keyboard) whatsoever if you do players are allowed to make a report and you will receive a ban, you dont need many reports, also if you need to leave a game at any point and time their regulations are you can be reported and banned, or the game masters will just do it themselves, the games last up to 30-2 hours per and continue without breaks the entire game offers no other content so really those 30-2 hour games are a joke its actually a soild streach of play untill you stop, because you cannot leave without getting consequence.

I remember near the downfall of my last relationships when my ex played and it got to a point where we just didn't talk much anymore because hed be unable to, due to the rules of them game.

Its redic.

Online mmos booooo

Console YAY!

Omei I totally feel you on this, I've played so many MMO's in the past and my god, the way they design them are such a huge drain of your time, it is never ending. And when you finally reach the max level/gear, they add in more stuff and it is a whole new grind all over again. That's why I don't play them anymore, there is just no end to it.

• Like 1
Omei I totally feel you on this, I've played so many MMO's in the past and my god, the way they design them are such a huge drain of your time, it is never ending. And when you finally reach the max level/gear, they add in more stuff and it is a whole new grind all over again. That's why I don't play them anymore, there is just no end to it.

Its a visous cycle there is pressure to be even with your online peers if you're not up to par you cannot participate, people dont want you, and that doesn't even matter anyway you need to be up to par just so you can play the games content.

The only type of people this truly benefits the are ones who get paid to play.

I loved wow I was really successful I was a damn good resto druid, people would pay me gold to heal groups the love was awesome, but eventually the time, stress and pressure all adds up and it gets to a point where its like you're overworked and you crash hard (I don't mean sleeping) I mean with being able to keep up with your character and still have enjoyment.

Edited by Omei
  • Like 1
Thegreatestthing

When I think of it I imagine a big fat guy with his joystick eating a pop tart,I saw these pop tarts on television. ive never played a video game before.

I think these games are very creative,creating complex worlds etc,I think reality is probably not interesting for them so they prefer the joystick.

There are some types of games out there thats goal is to literally suck your life away a good example is Leauge Of Legends unlike other mmo's you are not allowed to AFK (away from keyboard) whatsoever if you do players are allowed to make a report and you will receive a ban, you dont need many reports, also if you need to leave a game at any point and time their regulations are you can be reported and banned, or the game masters will just do it themselves, the games last up to 30-2 hours per and continue without breaks the entire game offers no other content so really those 30-2 hour games are a joke its actually a soild streach of play untill you stop, because you cannot leave without getting consequence. Players will spend great lengths to make sure they don't suffer consequence you should hear how mad they get is they dc " GREAT NOW IM ****ING GOING TO BE LOCKED OUT" or my personal fav from my ex "I already afk and left a few games this week if I stop playing now I might not be able to return"

Its redic.

Online mmos booooo

Console YAY!

Uh, League of Legends isn't even an MMO. :confused: It's a MOBA. The rules make sense because, just like WoW BGs, AFKing ruins the game for all the other players. Think about it, can you play a football or basketball game and stop whenever you like to go get a beer? What about the other players left in the game?

IMO the issue with your last relationship had much more to do with your ex's problems than with the game. I'm no LoL fan, but my SO and I do play a very similar game (its predecessor, in fact), and there aren't any problems. Just don't start a game when you expect to have to leave, and don't play too much. Surely it wouldn't hurt your relationship to not be able to talk to your SO for a couple hours, a couple times a week. It's when people keep playing and playing and don't know how to stop that there is a problem.

As for WoW, I do agree that there's a lot of peer pressure, especially if you're in one of the top guilds or even aiming for heroic (previously hard mode). I did manage to do OS3D and hard mode Ulduar back in WOTLK by only putting in 12 hrs/week, but even that was a pretty big time sink so I decided to stop serious raiding after I finished college.

Edited by Elswyth
Uh, League of Legends isn't even an MMO. :confused: It's a MOBA. The rules make sense because, just like WoW BGs, AFKing ruins the game for all the other players. Think about it, can you play a football or basketball game and stop whenever you like to go get a beer? What about the other players left in the game?

IMO the issue with your last relationship had much more to do with your ex's problems than with the game. I'm no LoL fan, but my SO and I do play a very similar game (its predecessor, in fact), and there aren't any problems. Just don't start a game when you expect to have to leave, and don't play too much. Surely it wouldn't hurt your relationship to not be able to talk to your SO for a couple hours, a couple times a week. It's when people keep playing and playing and don't know how to stop that there is a problem.

As for WoW, I do agree that there's a lot of peer pressure, especially if you're in one of the top guilds or even aiming for heroic (previously hard mode). I did manage to do OS3D and hard mode Ulduar back in WOTLK by only putting in 12 hrs/week, but even that was a pretty big time sink so I decided to stop serious raiding after I finished college.

Sorry! know league isnt a mmo :p im too lazy to call it anything else I guess I shouldn't of called it that its stratagy but its still online based and everything I said is true to the game, I know because I played it often and hated every moment (the things we do for the ones we love)

It is nothing like a Bg where you can afk and chances are you're still afk within it when you return or just kicked out and can continue on with other aspects of the game while you wait for your 15 min debuff to drop, you never get game ending consequences, also you can still win with so much as 5 players afk you cant in LoL if one member afks the game is usually lost entirely.

I know there was more issues in my previous relationship im only talking about one of the issues regarding to this post and LoL was so in need of attention because you are not able to leave and so talking became nearly impossible well not nearly impossible there was always that five min window between game entry I guess but anything or any responsibility that would arise during game would have to be put on hold until finish in fear of bans and I think thats seriously scary to have a type of game that puts fear in you to leave.

Edited by Omei
Sorry! know league isnt a mmo :p im too lazy to call it anything else I guess I shouldn't of called it that its stratagy but its still online based and everything I said is true to the game, I know because I played it.

It is nothing like a Bg where you can afk and chances are you're still afk within it when you return or just kicked out and can continue on with other aspects of the game while you wait for your 15 min debuff to drop, you never get game ending consequences, also you can still win with so much as 5 players afk you cant in LoL if one member afks the game is usually lost entirely.

I know there was more issues in my previous relationship im only talking about one of the issues regarding to this post and LoL was so in need of attention because you are not able to leave and so talking became nearly impossible well not nearly impossible there was always that five min window between game entry I guess but anything or any responsibility that would arise during game would have to be put on hold until finish in fear of bans and I think thats seriously scary to have a type of game that puts fear in you to leave.

Ah, okay, fair enough. Yeah, there are consequences for leaving, but AFAIK you usually get a few chances, and even then it's not usually a permanent ban but rather a suspension. So if someone isn't playing ALL the time, chances are he wouldn't have to leave that many times during the week, and also if he gets a suspension then eh, big deal.

IMO the bigger deterrent to leaving (for me at least) is knowing that it'll screw up my teammates, who are usually RL friends. There was this issue in WoW raids as well, and to ameliorate it my guild would purposefully schedule nights off when no one was supposed to play and everyone was supposed to take care of their gfs instead :lmao: (they were all guys, except me). It seemed to work quite well. I think they called it 'reducing gf aggro'. :laugh:

Ah, okay, fair enough. Yeah, there are consequences for leaving, but AFAIK you usually get a few chances, and even then it's not usually a permanent ban but rather a suspension. So if someone isn't playing ALL the time, chances are he wouldn't have to leave that many times during the week, and also if he gets a suspension then eh, big deal.

IMO the bigger deterrent to leaving (for me at least) is knowing that it'll screw up my teammates, who are usually RL friends. There was this issue in WoW raids as well, and to ameliorate it my guild would purposefully schedule nights off when no one was supposed to play and everyone was supposed to take care of their gfs instead :lmao: (they were all guys, except me). It seemed to work quite well. I think they called it 'reducing gf aggro'. :laugh:

I dont think suspensions are a big deal to some who are able to just bounce to their other hobby, but for peeps with limited play or unable to gain happiness from other activities its total chaos meltdown mode lol

I know how you feel I would get burnt out from months of raiding I couldn't even raid in evenings because of my daughter it always have to be after 9:30 and I would get so drained and so burnt but I would keep marching on because of my friends, they still want me to come back I re sub last month I lasted one week and ditched I just can't anymore the thought makes me cringe!!!

acrosstheuniverse

No not at all, as long as it's within reason. I had an ex who played games every single day, constantly talked about them, went to game conferences, read all of the magazines, was always going on about his score or achievements or whatever... I felt really second best, eventually, although I tried to kinda join in and play games with him which I found fun. It wasn't the playing games I hated, it was the level it took over his life.

I play a game myself, some weeks I might spend eight hours on the weekend playing it, other weeks not fire it up for weeks or months on end. I really enjoy it and I've played this franchise for the past 12 years, bought new computers for the new versions etc. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't like a partner playing games but again, it becomes a problem if it becomes the ONLY thing you do with your spare time, and you exclude your partner because of it.

• Like 2

I used to play WoW. The guild I was in started off as a casual raiding guild, but gradually got more and more serious. The raiding eventually started to feel like a second job, especially when I was being asked to sign up for more of them,(once or twice a week was enough for me, I have other things to do!).

That's without considering the grind of dailies... They weren't essential for a while, but the last few expansions (post wotlk, really) have made it so that every serious raider needs to spend an hour or two a day on those just to keep the pace. No thanks!

I may go back to wow one day, but I'll never do the grind of daily quests and the second-job obligation of raids again. It's just too much.

todreaminblue

i used to play against my ex and beat his score.....smilin....i would also get bored and do my own thing.......i would read and he would play...there wasnt any fights over it....we did however go to bed together.....and we spent time doing other things like going out not just staying home on weekends......we would go to the beach or a park with the kids..or museums or the zoo....games dint run our lives...we played them sometimes.....the kids were given time limits....and it all worked out pretty well............deb

When I think of it I imagine a big fat guy with his joystick eating a pop tart,I saw these pop tarts on television. ive never played a video game before.

I think these games are very creative,creating complex worlds etc,I think reality is probably not interesting for them so they prefer the joystick.

This is my ex...

I have to say it has made me very wary of people who play computer games.

Instead of getting out, being healthy etc he would sleep or play video games then every now and then go and play paint ball games with his mates. The rest of the time he was just damned lazy. He would complain if I started cleaning the house while he was playing. He wouldn't get off his backside and help out with chores etc.

He played games because he just couldn't be bothered to do anything else.

Its hard to be attracted to a slob.