When to unfriend an "ex"?

notyouraveragebabe

notyouraveragebabe

I wouldn't call him an ex, but we casually dated for 3 months. No commitments. It's been almost 2 months since we last spoke. Things just ended without anything being said. I don't think any of us were hurt. We are still friends on Instagram and Facebook. He still likes some of my posts, but I noticed he has a new girl in his life. He's not posting it, but he is tagged in it. I really don't care to see it, but I don't want to unfriend him and look like a psycho or even jealous. I'm happy for him, but it bothers me a tad bit to see it.

When do you guys unfriend an "ex'?

Frank2thepoint

Immediately, or as soon as physically possible. But I'm direct like that. And I don't use social media (except Google+, does that count?), so I don't have to worry about it at all. :p

• Like 1

Look, when I'm done with someone, I'm done...

I can be "friendly" if I see them walking down the street, but I'm not gonna seek them out, call them up, nothing. Why?

I wouldn't have an issue with unfriending them on FB cuz I only let people I'm close to (i.e. friends and family) see my complete profile. Also, for me FB is sorta like "keeping in touch" I mean, I use it to keep in touch with family and friends w/o having to do the "million" calls, emails, letters to keep in touch (unless its something intimate/important - for that I will call, visit in person, etc.).

So yea, I would unfriend them cuz FB to me is like keeping in touch and again, when I'm done with a guy, I'm done. Besides, if I start dating someone new, imagine the complications. I mean FB does have an option where you put "In a RL with"...So, what if my new guy wonders why I haven't listed him as someone I'm in a RL with and/or put pics of us there - yet, I have a string of guys on there I "used" to see?

But, I don't have this problem cuz I've never "friended" a guy I was seeing on FB. The day I "friend" someone on FB that I'm seeing, I believe it would be only if we're super serious - so, I have yet to do that cuz I have yet to be a with a guy and it turned super serious.

• Like 1
organizedchaos
I wouldn't call him an ex, but we casually dated for 3 months. No commitments. It's been almost 2 months since we last spoke. Things just ended without anything being said. I don't think any of us were hurt. We are still friends on Instagram and Facebook. He still likes some of my posts, but I noticed he has a new girl in his life. He's not posting it, but he is tagged in it. I really don't care to see it, but I don't want to unfriend him and look like a psycho or even jealous. I'm happy for him, but it bothers me a tad bit to see it.

When do you guys unfriend an "ex'?

Immediately. What do you care what they think? They're an ex.

acrosstheuniverse

I do it before they've even left the house. Seriously, I unfriending and blocking an ex on social media is pretty much the first thing I do immediately after a breakup. It stops the temptation to put myself through pain looking back through happier times, and helps me to move on without the constant reminder of them in my life.

So yes... within minutes. Every time.

• Like 2
I do it before they've even left the house. Seriously, I unfriending and blocking an ex on social media is pretty much the first thing I do immediately after a breakup. It stops the temptation to put myself through pain looking back through happier times, and helps me to move on without the constant reminder of them in my life.

So yes... within minutes. Every time.

Well, unfriending them is ok, IMO, but "blocking" them (unless it was a bad RL/breakup) screams "I'm jealous/upset/harbor bad feelings/pretty much anything negative".

I mean, some people take unfreinding seriously. Some people treat it pretty much as a "block". I don't. That's why there's "blocking" and "unfriending" - two separate actions with separate meanings/consequences.

I only do it if their cray cray & I don't want my facebook blowed up when they post some drama crap or something like that.

I have a few women that were on facebook before I went out with them.

they dropped me.

I left them on cause at the time I didn't use FB much & didn't really think about it.

So they got to watch me drop 60lbs and see me in pics with women hotter than them. :)

acrosstheuniverse
Well, unfriending them is ok, IMO, but "blocking" them (unless it was a bad RL/breakup) screams "I'm jealous/upset/harbor bad feelings/pretty much anything negative".

I mean, some people take unfreinding seriously. Some people treat it pretty much as a "block". I don't. That's why there's "blocking" and "unfriending" - two separate actions with separate meanings/consequences.

I never really cared what it screamed to somebody who had really hurt me (I only delete/blocked the guys who broke my heart, who dumped me... anyone else, if I wanted to keep them in my life in some way, I wouldn't have deleted anyway). All that matters at that point is my feelings and moving on and self preservation, not worrying about what the guy thinks of me or my actions! And anyway, I WAS upset, and had negative and bad feelings. The end of a relationship is rarely a lovely, enjoyable experience for most people.

But maybe I'm just different when it comes to social media. I only have true friends on my Facebook, my barometer for whether I'd have somebody on my friends list or not is whether I'd stop and speak to them in the street if I walked past them. I don't want random people I once worked with, acquaintances, someone I sat near in college once five years ago to have access to all of that information about my personal life. So I regularly have facebook culls where I'll delete people who I no longer want to be in touch with on there (and am careful who I add in the first place).