Taking a poll- Are bald or balding men less attractive to women?

Taking a poll- Are bald or balding men less attractive to women? Or not?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have noticed that quite a few of my female friends do not seem to think men who are bald are attractive. My husband has a receding hairline & he is very attractive- (not just to me lots of women think so)..

Also I have noticed that other men that are bald are also very good looking. I just don't even care that they don't have a full head of hair.

Is this normal? Or do most other women prefer men with hair? Or does it matter?

Just wondering, interested & curious.....

My exW mentioned while we were dating that a number of her female friends wondered why she would date a balding guy. I found that, over the decades, to be pretty typical in my demographic. Nothing extraordinarily rude towards balding guys but, all else being equal, the ladies go for the hair. Men are in sufficient enough supply that they can easily make such distinctions, as baldness is kind of like skin color; hard to hide, though some men try. I never have.

Michelle ma Belle

I agree with Phoe. Depends on the man. I've certainly had my fair share of crushes on balding men just as I have with men who had thick luscious locks.

I say OWN IT! The key for me is a man who carries himself with humble confidence. If he's insecure about this hairline (or anything else) it's a turn-off. Being comfortable with who they are and what they look like is a dead sexy quality in men as well as in women.

• Like 3
  • Author
My exW mentioned while we were dating that a number of her female friends wondered why she would date a balding guy. I found that, over the decades, to be pretty typical in my demographic. Nothing extraordinarily rude towards balding guys but, all else being equal, the ladies go for the hair. Men are in sufficient enough supply that they can easily make such distinctions, as baldness is kind of like skin color; hard to hide, though some men try. I never have.

Don't hide it! According to the responses so far on here-bald can certainly be considered very sexy.- Women don't always go for the hair.

I agree with Michelle OWN IT!

For me it is more about the guys personality, if he can make me laugh, & his confidence. I seem to be attracted to smart and successful men, who sometimes are bald as well.

Yeah, that's how I thought too, but experience taught other lessons. My exW just provided clarity on the matter with her poll. My lack of hair didn't seem to bother her; less for her to cut, since she did it for a living.

evanescentworld

Yul Brinner - sexy guy.

Bruce Willis - sexy guy.

Telly savalas - Hmmmm.....

Jabba the Hutt.....eugh.....

yup.

Depends on the guy.....

• Like 1

Glad someone made a thread about this. As a 23 year old guy with a receding hairline that drives me nuts I'm curious to see answers from woman. It's given me countless bouts of anxiety over the last couple of years and has been a huge shot to my confidence. Luckily if I grow out my bangs or keep it short and gel it up you can't notice, but I'm sure it's not always going to be that way.

Ladies what would you prefer on a guy who's balding? Shaved down really short but still visible hair? Completely bald? Hair transplants? Would a receding hairline on a guy in his early 20's be a turnoff to you?

• Like 1

Attractive guy with hair

Same attractive guy without hair

The 'guy' is the now deceased actor Christopher Reeve.

The key is be attractive and never be unattractive. As an example, relevant to the mention of a past movie star, Yul Bryner, he was a quite attractive man with hair before losing it. He also died at a relatively young age due to, in his opinion, smoking, nowadays not a very attractive trait. However, women would still want to be with him, even though he was a smoker, because he was attractive, both with and without hair. That's just how things work. If a guy is easy on the eyes, he will be easy on the eyes. All else being equal, and that's the important part, it's common sense that easy on the eyes trumps not so easy on the eyes. That's OK. That's how genetics work.

My husband (not balding) shaves his head bald and looks amazing. He also has a sexy muscular body so they work together. Not sexy are comb-overs, sprays, toupees, and anything unkempt. That said I wouldn't go for a guy that is balding. Either/or.. no in-between for me.

I am someone that prefers hair, not so much for looks but because I like to play with it...looks wise it all depends on the guy. I have seem hot bald guys as often as I have seem hot head full-of-hair guys.

@Chris715: Very very common for young guys with receding hairlines to feel self-conscious....not sure if it's confidence driven or simple comparison to other fish in the pond that are the same age. Anyway, as a chick (and most of us have something at some point that we didn't like/we obsess about) I get ya....but I think you already know it is your choice on whether you let it hinder you and how you want to handle it. If you think getting hair will work better for you then look into it. If it is simply adjusting to a different look in the mirror then go for the hair cut switch. Try a crew cut, a buzz cut, shave it all off, and maybe try growing it a little longer on the top....and go with what you like. It's not like what you have isn't gonna grow back in a couple of weeks. Also the extent your hairline is receding may be much more noticeable to you then someone you meet....they also seem to recede some but then stop so you'll have to maybe look at parents and siblings to determine what's ahead for ya.

• Like 2
I am someone that prefers hair, not so much for looks but because I like to play with it...looks wise it all depends on the guy. I have seem hot bald guys as often as I have seem hot head full-of-hair guys.

@Chris715: Very very common for young guys with receding hairlines to feel self-conscious....not sure if it's confidence driven or simple comparison to other fish in the pond that are the same age. Anyway, as a chick (and most of us have something at some point that we didn't like/we obsess about) I get ya....but I think you already know it is your choice on whether you let it hinder you and how you want to handle it. If you think getting hair will work better for you then look into it. If it is simply adjusting to a different look in the mirror then go for the hair cut switch. Try a crew cut, a buzz cut, shave it all off, and maybe try growing it a little longer on the top....and go with what you like. It's not like what you have isn't gonna grow back in a couple of weeks. Also the extent your hairline is receding may be much more noticeable to you then someone you meet....they also seem to recede some but then stop so you'll have to maybe look at parents and siblings to determine what's ahead for ya.

Doesn't help that my dad and younger brother both have perfect heads of hair and here I am as the outlier of the family. Like you mentioned I think it's a bit of both, as in in it's own right it causes a hit to my confidence and then it also sucks seeing other guys around my age (or older than me) with better hairlines. I have enough confidence issues with dating as it is, this seems to be just one more thing piling on for me.

• Like 1
you_can_not_see_me

Well losing hair makes a guy look older and I think that's the main reason young women prefer guys with full head of hair.

My hair has receded a very small amount at the corners and its still not apparent that my hairline is receding but its a little psychologically bothersome cause its a sign I m getting older.

• Like 2

I think if you spend enough time online in forums like this the line "it is always something" is the truth in dating. How many threads have been written about optimal weight, boob and penis size, height etc.? Seriously anyone that reads enough will stumble across a category they would fall in and hence see in print that because of XYZ they aren't going to be attractive to someone else. Reality is that folks may have preferences but attraction happens. I like tall guys...and have dated 6'2, 6'4 etc. That is my preference. However I dated some one 5'8 and was just as attracted to him. Last guy I dated looked much different in person...his beautiful dark hair in the picture was now salt and pepper (more salt) and had receded a great deal. The picture he posted was under 16 months old but stress and genetics dictated this is how things would go..and for him the nest stop was darn near bald looking at his older brothers and pop (I am much older that you at 45, this gent was 48). Anyway, although he looked different he was still very handsome and chemistry was instant and so a relationship was born. And I have had guy friends that were 10s in the looks category as far as I was concerned that I had absolutely zero interest in or attraction to..hence always only friends. So it really is all a crap shoot.

Ruby Slippers

I've never thought about it much, I guess because I've never been approached by or dated a bald guy. I haven't consciously avoided them - I'm just more receptive in dating, and let men approach me. But I'm dating older men now, so this could start to change.

I can't say that the amount of hair on a guy's head would influence my feelings about whether or not to date him. I've seen attractive bald/balding guys, and in any case, for me attraction is about so much more than looks.

As a 31yo who's had the barest tuft of a widows peak since my early twenties, and recently diagnosed with a medical condition that explains my premature hair loss (since no real genetics behind it) I can assure you that, at least on me, it's been fundamental to my lack of success with women. Particularly the last few years since foppish bouffants have somehow become mens fashion and the shaven look I've maintained since I was 14 is right out (5 years ago every third guy on the street shaved his head. Take a look now). Hair is very firmly on the list of womens requirements today and I don't have enough. How do I know it's been fundamental? I've been told by some of the less kind women. And frankly there isn't much else explanation anyway.

Nothing you can do about it. May as well complain about not having wings. The most irritating thing is I can't maintain a beard as a result, because balding and beard adds 20 years to me.

• Like 1

I find bald/balding men less attractive.

Sure, there's always the occasional exception, and of course in a long term/committed relationship there is WAY more to it than just a head of hair. But if we are talking straight physical attraction - balding is less attractive to me.

• Like 1

Never was attracted to bald men for the aforementioned reason of I like playing with a man's hair. Everyone has a preference and threads like this make my eyes roll.

I can't help but wonder why a married woman would care what other women think of her husband's appearance. Would she dump him if all women said they hated bald and balding men?

• Like 1

Damn , if i don't always have a story.

I have personal proof.

10 years ago my ex wife convinced me (a bit early) that it was time to shave my head completely. I did it and have been shaved for 10 years.

It didn't slow me down with women, but i have a pretty strong personality and i stay in shape without an ounce of fat. So it kind of worked after the divorce (all of my love interests have been early to mid 20''s. I'm older. I have been with several very attractive, much younger girls since my divide divorce. BUT.... I have to really work at it from the personality side.

A few months back, I had been eyeing a new hairstyle I really like that all the younger guys have that reminded me of my old hair.

This is the style, on the right.....

http://www.underthegunreview.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/The-Chainsmokers-300x300.jpg

I wanted to have this hair so badly after 10 years of the same old thing.... a shaved head, that i did the following:

I went to a shop in Manhattan and got a $1400 full head wig, completely custom fit to my head, every human hair tied by hand, to a base mesh that vanishes when you press it against the skin. The only way you can all tell it's not my real hair is if i take it off, or if you feel seam in the back. Even looking as closely as you can, it appears the individual hair is growing right out of my skin (because the mesh vanishes)

I wear it out and about when going to clubs and stuff and i kid you not, combining that cool hair with the in good shape body and kind of bold, but non threatening personality, I can't believe the number of girls that now work to get to know me as compared to the other way around. I had women at the DMV get into an argument about who would take me as they came out from behind the counter to tug at me. I had no idea what to do.... this stuffhad never happened in my life until I 1) worked out a lot 2) Developed too much self confidence, 3) Got my fun, new hair.

Until #3, i had to do all the work.

So, without a doubt, hair makes a huge difference in how you are received by women,. I am the same guy. Walk in without hair, nobody notices me Much. walk in with hair and it's frenzy.

What's great about my little toy is i only wear it when I feel like it. It sits on a fake Styrofoam head when I'm home,or doing anything i think might mess it up.Unlike most guys who have some fake hair, I am just fine bald. Don't give a f£%k. The hair is for fun.

I can safely setting aside the bs about it all depending on the guy, the SAME guy who does ok with attracting .women will do 100x better with hair than without. And yes... many women hae told me they don't like bald guys, but that i pull it off (being in shape .pulls it off)

Guys.... if you feel like buying hair is wrong, just remember like 75% of the hottest women you ogle have hair extensions in. I, point blank, said to all the females in my life, "hey, if girls can get extensions, i can get some hair to wear" Every one of them agreed. Some laughed for a second a first because they were so used to me bald, but I've heard nothing but how much better and younger i look.

Edited by nofeelings22
  • Like 1