Must like children?

LookAtThisPOst

LookAtThisPOst

I've recently spoken with single women and most of which are single parents in their 30s and older and some have asked me "if I like children?"

Now, I am single without children of my own, but when someone asks me that I always say, "Depends on the children, how they behave, etc" My concerns are of their behavior and such.

Basically, I don't like children if they act up, but I do like them if they are well behaved and kids today....well...I'm sure some can concur there are some pretty rambunctious bunches out there.

But one cannot really make a blanket question out there to find a man who like children in general?

If one ask you if you like children, you should respond:

"Sure, for breakfast with a bit of cinnamon and 30min in the oven"

Now either the person will run screaming away, or it'll result in a chuckle/laughter...worst case you'll have police showing up giving you suspicious looks.

I pardon my misplaced attempt of humor and if that offended anyone, but really, I wouldn't have any issues with being asked that, as it seem like a valid thing to bring up if there should be any future between you. I also completely understand your attitude towards children, some can be, let's say challenging.

The person asking really just wants to hear "Yes I do like children", and if you elaborated with what you said "it depends on the children" I really don't see anything offensive about that reply either.

evanescentworld

My response is.... "It depends. What are their parents like?"

Turn it back on them.

Make them answerable and responsible for whether you like kids or not.

• Author
LookAtThisPOst
My response is.... "It depends. What are their parents like?"

Turn it back on them.

Make them answerable and responsible for whether you like kids or not.

That's a nice one Evanscent! I am usually an advocate of turning things back on people, though haven't considered it in the dating world. Good call because the behavior of the parent is reflective on the children. :laugh:

For instance, next door you would not believe how well behaved the children are. VERY polite when around adults.

I just say I like them til they can walk and talk, then I like them again when they turn 18, but nowhere in between. I'm too honest though.

I also never date someone with children.

acrosstheuniverse

I think it's a fair blanket question. What they're really asking is if you're okay with a potential date having kids or if you want kids somebody yourself, that's all. I know people that run a mile from any child and people who love them to the extent that they work in a school or a nursery. I would class myself as somebody who 'loves kids' because I find them interesting cute, I gravitate towards them, I have nephews and a child of my friend's that I absolutely adore and go out of my way to do things with/for/buy presents for and so forth. There are still some kids I'm sure I would find really irritating but then I'd wonder what their parents had done to make them behave in that way.

See the subtext and assume they're asking if you're happy to be around children, now or in the future. I wouldn't date a guy who said he didn't like kids, because I'd like my own in 4-5 years and presume he wouldn't want them if he doesn't like them.