Serial dating, how does that work?

quidproquo89

Hey,

so I've suddenly had an influx of women returning my interest on OLD. Not saying this to be big headed as you know how flaky and unreliable OLD is.

However I am going on a date on Thursday with 'A'. 'B' has also expressed interest to go out the following week.

'C' might be a possible the next week also. I'm also chatting to 'D' and 'E'.

You don't know what someone is like until you date them. So should I at least go on a date with these girls. I'm no player and I'm a one girl at a time kind of guy. But as its OLD and you don't know anyone until you meet them in person.

What are the ramifications of dating this amount of people in a number of weeks? I don't feel its unethical, I just wonder if it will fry your brain? Because so far they all seem very nice, grounded, easy going women.

Or should I just concentrate on one at a time? As I say you don't know them until you meet them?

Edited by quidproquo89
added more
Ruby Slippers

If you meet someone you really click with, you'll probably naturally want to focus just on her. Until then, you are free to date whomever. Just be honest and don't conceal what you're doing to win favor.

• Like 5
  • Author
If you meet someone you really click with, you'll probably naturally want to focus just on her. Until then, you are free to date whomever. Just be honest and don't conceal what you're doing to win favor.

so if a girl asks if I'm dating anyone else, I should say yes? I wouldn't want to be rejected as a player, when I'm honestly not. Or just be a complete turn off?

Ruby Slippers

At this point, you're just messaging with several women at once. Perfectly above board. You know almost nothing until you meet. If you meet and don't click, continue with other dates. If you meet and are kinda interested but iffy, do what feels right. If you are very interested, you will probably want to focus on her - but again, you can do what feels right. You have no obligation to be transparent about dating more than one person at a time, but I personally feel it's only fair. I think sex changes things and you should make sure it's clear where you stand there.

• Like 2

There's should be nothing wrong w/ something along the lines of

"I'm not seeing anyone seriously, I'm just trying to get out & meet new people so I can find the right girl for me"

• Like 5

As you said, OLD is flaky and all these prospects might not turn into dates. You might not be interested in them after first date or vice versa. This is not to be pessimistic, but at this point these girls are just contacts. This abundance of dates can work itself out naturally :)

If you get beyond few dates with someone and want to get to know them better, you just stop going out with the others.

My advice is not to mention dating others when you are on the first date. If the girl downright asks, you can give some general answer but don't bring it up or go into details. Also I wouldn't ask if they are dating others. Maybe it's just me but when someone talks about other dates with me, I feel like I'm talking to a buddy.

• Like 1
acrosstheuniverse

The best way to find the right person is to meet as many as possible! And until you've met them in person you can't know how you feel about them anyway. My rules were a) total honesty (if someone asks whether I'm dating anyone else I'll say 'yeah I'm talking to a few people, turns out it's a pretty good way to meet people!' and presume they are too) and b) no sexual intimacy unless I had decided to focus on that person and end it with the rest. I would only go on maybe two dates max before I knew that either

1) I wanted to focus on them and them alone, or

2)I wasn't interested in them enough to see them again.

I was always honest with people. It's totally ethical. I would sometimes go on three dates with three different guys in a week. It got exhausting. I think I ended on going on dates with about ten or twenty different guys in a month or two last time I was single until I met the guy I started a relationship with back in January. I am still mates with a few of them, the ones it mutually didn't work out with, which is nice.

• Like 1
  • Author

the only thing I'm afraid of is being out with one date and seeing another date. I hope it never happens, but could be quite awkward as you haven't yet decided who you want etc.

acrosstheuniverse
the only thing I'm afraid of is being out with one date and seeing another date. I hope it never happens, but could be quite awkward as you haven't yet decided who you want etc.

Yeah I guess it might be slightly awkward, but at the end of the day you're not doing anything wrong, and the majority of these girls will be dating others too if they're smart. Plus if you're only seeing each once or twice before you can see if you're into them, I doubt you're gonna run into others that easily. Just play it cool 'Hey! Amy, this is Laura. Laura, Amy.' bit of small talk. You don't owe anyone an explanation but if they ask you can say 'it's funny actually, I met her on the same site' and leave it at that. A socially skilled date will understand, a more inquisitive one may push it but if they do, be blunt. Never dishonest.

• Like 1
  • Author

Got chatting to my Thursday date on sunday and we realy got on via facebook so we decided to meet early. We met yesterday at 4pm and I got home about 2am this morning. Went very well :)

Lol...

When I think of the term "serial dater" then I just think of someone who's a playa, just jumping from chick to chick to chick cuz they just like tasting different flavors of the week.

I don't think it's wrong to let the person know before sex happens and/or if they ask that you are seeing several people. I mean, until the exclusivity talk happens, you have a right to keep your options open.

Haha. That exact thing happened to me but I played it to my advantage. We've now been dating for a year and a half. Here's my post about getting busted multi-dating...

https://www.loveshack.org/forums/romantic/dating/384389-too-much-old#post4766891

C sounds really hot bro. Go for C lol.

On a more serious note, you're single and "dating." You have every right to check out all your options. Like you said you won't know about someone or what connection you make until you meet them in person. For all we know A could be the one and the rest are just busy work for you. You should still give them all a chance though. What if 4/5 of them flake out on you? Keep your options open and go for it. You have nothing to lose.

so if a girl asks if I'm dating anyone else, I should say yes? I wouldn't want to be rejected as a player, when I'm honestly not. Or just be a complete turn off?

Say "NO" and don't even think twice because you are NOT dating anyone else yet. You're meeting a bunch of women for first the first time. Although we call it a "date" to clarify romantic interest, the first meeting between people who meet online is NOTHING like a traditional date. It's more like the interaction after a man asks a woman if he can buy her a drink at the bar and she accepts. It's perfectly fine to multi-date several women at once if you met online. If you continue to do so after two dates, that's when I think you are crossing the line...

• Like 1
Say "NO" and don't even think twice because you are NOT dating anyone else yet. You're meeting a bunch of women for first the first time. Although we call it a "date" to clarify romantic interest, the first meeting between people who meet online is NOTHING like a traditional date. It's more like the interaction after a man asks a woman if he can buy her a drink at the bar and she accepts. It's perfectly fine to multi-date several women at once if you met online. If you continue to do so after two dates, that's when I think you are crossing the line...

Serial dating is about a guy or a woman who probably doesn't want strings/commitment. They just like the "thrill" of dating new people and maybe sex. Multi-dating is about looking for someone who is right for you for a possible long-term relationship.

And, yes, if you're just going out with a few people here and there on first dates, say no. If you've been dating someone or a couple beyond the first date, so what. You are just dating them. Say, yes, just dating not committed. If they think that just because you want to go out with them once and not see anyone else, they are delusional.

If, however, you've been dating someone that you've slept with and continuing to see without exclusivity and/or are nearing that arrangement, you shouldn't be dating anyone until that arrangement goes away.

I think when they ask that question, it's more likely that they don't want to date someone who is already "taken" and possibly cheating.

However I am going on a date on Thursday with 'A'. 'B' has also expressed interest to go out the following week.

'C' might be a possible the next week also. I'm also chatting to 'D' and 'E'.

That is only 5 - slacking a bit?? :D

You don't know what someone is like until you date them. So should I at least go on a date with these girls. I'm no player and I'm a one girl at a time kind of guy. But as its OLD and you don't know anyone until you meet them in person.

So meet them and get to know them a bit then you can make an informed decision as to whom you think you should be in a relationship with...

What are the ramifications of dating this amount of people in a number of weeks? I don't feel its unethical, I just wonder if it will fry your brain? Because so far they all seem very nice, grounded, easy going women.

Great - but just because you like them all now doesn't mean you will in a couple of weeks time after you discover that they have some really weird habits or are just not the one for you... If you concentrate on just one at the moment and it turns out she is on best behaviour and is not what you thought then you are still getting to know the others... They may be pretty annoyed if they are really into you but then that would be moving WAY too fast anyway... And you are getting it all over in one go so you can deal with it all and if one of these is the one you want to be with you can sort out the rest before its a problem...

Or should I just concentrate on one at a time? As I say you don't know them until you meet them?

Add a few times to that sentence! People are always on best behaviour on first dates so let it settle and see how you go. Don't sleep with any of them just yet, just get to know them and see how you go...

Answers in bold and you have renewed my faith! Thank you!

Trust me, out of a pool of 5 dates the odds are slim that even one of those dates you will both feel strongly enough to have a second.

I used to date serially but given how much effort is rewuired vs the chance of hitting it off dating in parallel is the best way- if you have the options in your area that is.

You make your own rules and be prepared to explain them if you are asked.

I make 3 contacts then I hide my profile. I know by experience I cannot handle more.

I will go up to 3 dates with them at the same time. More than 3 dates I feel it's misleading a man if I am not that into him.

Out of 3 contacts there is always 1 that will eliminate himself right from the get go over coffee.

Out of the 3 maybe, and I insist maybe ONE will make it to a 3rd date with me. If we make it to a 3rd date and are both looking forward to a 4th one I then not go back online, I keep my profile hidden and I put all my attention on that man and getting to know him.

Also, if I meet someone for the first time and for both of us the sky opens up and we hear harps playing then I am not going to jeopardize this by fishing new prospects. I am not going to want to fish new prospects anyway.

You have nothing to worry, it's so hard to find someone compatible, you're not going to end up having to chose between 2 wonderful ladies. It's more like which flake do I dump first.

• Author

I met this girl (the Thursday date girl - who I ended up meeting yesterday) and we really hit it off. And we are going on our second date on Thursday as originally planned. I really like her. I'm edging toward just sticking with this one. But perhaps my inexperience has clouded my judgement.

All I know is I really like her. Our 9 hour date felt like a few hours, very comfortable like we'd known each other for a long time

• Like 3
  • Author
You make your own rules and be prepared to explain them if you are asked.

I make 3 contacts then I hide my profile. I know by experience I cannot handle more.

I will go up to 3 dates with them at the same time. More than 3 dates I feel it's misleading a man if I am not that into him.

Out of 3 contacts there is always 1 that will eliminate himself right from the get go over coffee.

Out of the 3 maybe, and I insist maybe ONE will make it to a 3rd date with me. If we make it to a 3rd date and are both looking forward to a 4th one I then not go back online, I keep my profile hidden and I put all my attention on that man and getting to know him.

Also, if I meet someone for the first time and for both of us the sky opens up and we hear harps playing then I am not going to jeopardize this by fishing new prospects. I am not going to want to fish new prospects anyway.

You have nothing to worry, it's so hard to find someone compatible, you're not going to end up having to chose between 2 wonderful ladies. It's more like which flake do I dump first.

I haven't asked her but she gives the impression that I am the only one she has eyes for and I would feel weird about going to see other girls when I like her equally as much!

• Like 2
I met this girl (the Thursday date girl - who I ended up meeting yesterday) and we really hit it off. And we are going on our second date on Thursday as originally planned. I really like her. I'm edging toward just sticking with this one. But perhaps my inexperience has clouded my judgement.

All I know is I really like her. Our 9 hour date felt like a few hours, very comfortable like we'd known each other for a long time

That is great. Go out and enjoy the date without pressure on yourself or the moment. Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst always. And, remember, the worst is not the worst really. If there are no other dates, it just means it wasn't right.

And, early on, try to keep the dates a little shorter. Leave them wanting more. It's ok that the first lasted 9 hours, just make the second a little shorter. In the very beginning, spending too much time talking and covering so much, the conversations get a little "thinner" because you've already talked about so much. If you guys want a third date, great. Go from there about the length but don't let them all be long.

• Author

I'm soo tired today after 2 jobs and 3 hours sleep that I'm a little stressed. I want to just see this first girl but am afraid of letting the other two go without a meeting. At the same time I feel that I would be a little half arsed with the next two as I really dig the first one?

• Author

the length of the date wasn't intentional it just happened. We just enjoyed each others company and at the end we didn't have to talk we just felt comfortable. Also the chatter is about all sorts of things, endless topics, quirky comments and observations, experiences etc. The well of convo seems quite deep

• Like 1
  • Author
That is great. Go out and enjoy the date without pressure on yourself or the moment. Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst always. And, remember, the worst is not the worst really. If there are no other dates, it just means it wasn't right.

And, early on, try to keep the dates a little shorter. Leave them wanting more. It's ok that the first lasted 9 hours, just make the second a little shorter. In the very beginning, spending too much time talking and covering so much, the conversations get a little "thinner" because you've already talked about so much. If you guys want a third date, great. Go from there about the length but don't let them all be long.

I never considered the length of a date to be an issue if your both comfortable and enjoying it

• Like 2