New to dating. What should be my next step?

clueless22

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been lurking for a few weeks.

I'm 20 years old and have never dated before. This semester though, I met this girl at school and we've been talking a little bit. Long story short, I asked her out to dinner. It went really well. We went out again and had a great time. Fast forward to now, and I'm going out with her again this weekend (3rd time).

That's the background info. The issue I have is I have 0 dating experience. I've gotten some advice from family and friends to help me along but what I'm worried about is the physical part. Without it, we will remain just friends. Since this is our third outing, I'm guessing I need to finally step up and make a move. I've been told to try something simple, like a touch on the shoulder or back or something. I'm just worried it will be awkward or I won't know what to do. Maybe I should just go for a kiss if the moment is right?

It was also suggested to me that I just tell her I haven't dated a lot and explain that's why I haven't done anything. I wasn't sure though if this this would be a good idea or not?

And btw, this girl talks a lot and seems really comfortable around me so that's a good sign.

If someone could offer some tips or advice that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Edited by clueless22

Well the good thing is you're young, so i'm assuming the girl is pretty young as well. She might not be all that experienced as well. The advice I would give coming from a girls point of view is to not be afraid to touch us. If you're at the movies put your hand on her leg, or grab her hand. Seriously this is crucial if you guys are dating and especially in the beginning.

I have dated many guys who were just too scared to make a move even though I knew they wanted to, and it's a turn off. I loooove a guy who isn't afraid to take my hand and break that physical barrier. It really lightens the mood and will make her see you as a potential dating partner, not a friend. If she is going out on dates with you she is probably wondering when you will kiss her already. Just do it when you feel the time is right. Don't stress! Once you break that barrier it will be so much smoother! Good luck! :)

• Like 2

A good way to start touching a girl, is to play thumb war with her.

Another good way is arm wrstling.

Builds good rapport for physical touch

Always always always go for the hug and cheek kiss when you meet her.

It breaks the touch barrier right away. Then touching her more during the date is a lot more natural.

If it's a dinner date then it's pretty difficult because couples are often sat opposite each other, and touching is virtually impossible unless you both reach across the table. Try to sit at a corner table, where you are at 90 degrees to each other, instead.

Hold her hand when you walk along. If you'd like to hold hands during dinner, place your hand palm up on the table & look at her. She should take your hand. If her hands are already on the table, lay yours over hers.

At the end of the night, lean over & kiss her cheek.

4th date, lean over & kiss her lips.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm back from the date. It went really great. She said she had such a good time that she said wanted to do it again.

The only bad part is when we were walking I was just too scared to hold her hand. I wanted to soooo bad. I just wasn't sure how she would react which looking back is stupid because it was very clearly a date and I think she would have loved it. So fast forward to the end of the night and I gave her a hug goodnight. It was a little awkward, not too bad. But hey, I broke the ice. So, wish me luck on the next date I guess. :)

Well the good thing is you're young, so i'm assuming the girl is pretty young as well. She might not be all that experienced as well. The advice I would give coming from a girls point of view is to not be afraid to touch us. If you're at the movies put your hand on her leg, or grab her hand. Seriously this is crucial if you guys are dating and especially in the beginning.

I have dated many guys who were just too scared to make a move even though I knew they wanted to, and it's a turn off. I loooove a guy who isn't afraid to take my hand and break that physical barrier. It really lightens the mood and will make her see you as a potential dating partner, not a friend. If she is going out on dates with you she is probably wondering when you will kiss her already. Just do it when you feel the time is right. Don't stress! Once you break that barrier it will be so much smoother! Good luck! :)

I like this a lot, it kind of calmed me down.

Edited by clueless22