Which Would You Prefer?

I'm trying to see what you guys prefer..

This is all theoretical!

You're a horse person and your passion and life/career is based off of horses..

Would you rather..

Date a person who's also into the same thing?

--OR--

Date a person who's into being athletic and has a life/career based out of law enforcement?

In other words, would you rather date a person who's got the same life style as you or a different one, if you couldn't clarify that.. lol.

Answer below, and explain your reasoning if you feel like!

InsaneTrombone

This is all theoretical!

Would you rather..

--OR--

Date a person who's into being athletic and has a life/career based out of law enforcement?

In other words, would you rather date a person who's got the same life style as you or a different one, if you couldn't clarify that.. lol.

I'd probably gravitate to the person who shared the same hobby I also loved.

todreaminblue

i date guys not their hobbies....its great when there are common interests....i love to learn new things as much as i love to explore sameness......it wouldnt matter in the slightest...i would adapt.......deb

Hmm same as the person said above me. I dont really care what hobbies a person have. I would prefer though opposites as that would give me a chance to try new things.

It's not about how you're the in to the same or different hobbies, it is about how you're comfortable with that person, having the same or different hobbies than you are. Why not try and give both of them a chance and see where it goes.

This is all theoretical!

Would you rather..

--OR--

The contrasts you used were quite interesting? I mean, how does wanting someone who likes horses opposite to someone who is athletic and was in law enforcement?

Ok, but I'll take a bite here...

Yes, it's good to have more in common with the person you are dating and/or gonna spend your life with....but, at the same time, if the "common interests" you share with that person aren't good for you (i.e. sitting around and playing video games 24/7 instead of getting off the couch and taking a walk) then maybe someone different is what you need to improve on yourself.

Sometimes when people get with "different" people than what they're used to, it provides an opportunity for learning new things and/or growth. I mean, don't you want your SO to elevate you instead of have you wallowing in stew or worse?

One of my sibling's ex-wife wasn't into fitness and believed cooking was frying or buying greasy take out food. When he started getting bigger and was trying to work out, she ridiculed him and even insulted him (complaining about how he comes from the gym sweaty). Well, he got so big that he had to be put on heart pills and was pre-diabetes.

In other words, while he was "comfortable" with her, she was brining him down. Now that they're divorced, he has lost a lot of weight and the medical issues are literally gone, and he feels better about himself.

I have horses and have dated both. While the ones that shared the same hobby were great the ones that didn't were great for other reasons.

Pick the one that makes you feel good about yourself and encourages you. This may not be the one that you have the most in common with on paper.

For me my nags are a life style not a hobby so everything is worked around them and various other beasts!

• Like 1

OP seems to be touching on several different issues here: career, hobbies, and lifestyle.

I absolutely would NOT want to date someone who had the same career that I do. It wouldn't preclude me from considering them, but I wouldn't consider it a positive.

However, I absolutely would prefer someone with similar hobbies and lifestyle to myself.

While it is important for each partner to bring something "new" to the table, and for each partner to have their own individual interests, I think shared hobbies/interests are very important. If I can't get in my fix because my partner hates 'X', then resentment may build as a result.

• Like 2