How do I Let this Girl Down Easily After Reconnecting During Manic Episode?

Cristo

Hey all.

Kind of a weird situation here. I've been struggling with depression recently (to the point that I was suicidal for a bit). I sought help and got placed on an antidepressant. I was originally placed on a low dose that is generally below the therapeutic dosage. It worked well for a couple of months until it started wearing off and I noticed my anger coming back. So my doctor increased the dose.

All was well until Saturday. Prior to that, my sex drive decreased significantly due to this drug. Well, this past Saturday, the exact opposite happened and I entered what I now realize to be a manic, hypersexual state. I'm generally a guy that worries a lot and sometimes lacks confidence, but Saturday was something completely different.

I messaged a ton of women looking for sex. One woman in particular is one that I've rejected recently due to incompatibility (she's very attractive though which is likely why I messaged her). She was a bit mad at me for how things ended, but she really likes me. She wasn't available that night (thank God) and my manic state did not last longer than that day (I crashed HARD the next day and now I'm back to being balanced). Basically, she wanted to come over my place tonight, but I was able to come up with an excuse. However, she keeps messaging me.

This woman is loosely connected to my job and I'd like to keep on good terms with her. Also, I feel like a douche because I know it seems like I'm giving her hot and cold signals (which I did, due to my drug-induced state). So I'd like to tell her that I'm not interested without hurting her feelings.

Does anybody have any advice for me?

For the girl : tell her to stop contacting you outside of word and cut off communication with her.

For your meds: talk to your doctor. If anti depressants throw you into a manic state it could hint bipolarity. Especially since you say you crashed the next day...

Could be a side effect, or that you're just on the wrong meds but better safe than sorry.

Good luck!

• Author
Why don't you just tell her that since she's connected to your job, you had second thoughts about hooking up with her?

Good idea.

Someone on another forum suggested that I just do a gradual fade out, which I will try first.

I feel really awful for the girl and she's going to have a very poor opinion of you now and feel stupid, it probably seems like you were just trying to get her to say yes but you don't actually want her.

I would prob appreciate you sending me a message and telling me the truth; that you took different antidepressants, and it made you manic, and that you are sorry you were not yourself at that time but think shes great etc etc.

Thegreatestthing

People change their mind about things it doesn't make them manic,you should read the myth of mental illness by Thomas szasz if you're going to mess with your brain chemistry.theres no biological test for depression,chemical imbalance is a myth,it's a western epidemic of meaningless existences.

• Like 1

Are you uncomfortable with telling her about your medication because you work in the same place?

• Author
People change their mind about things it doesn't make them manic,you should read the myth of mental illness by Thomas szasz if you're going to mess with your brain chemistry.theres no biological test for depression,chemical imbalance is a myth,it's a western epidemic of meaningless existences.

No, my depression is real and my existence isn't meaningless.

Currently, I'm stuck in a bad situation. Before I was in this situation, I was not experiencing depression. In a year from now, I will have my freedom back and will not need the medication. But I need it now for my insanity and to keep going. Otherwise, I will likely sabotage myself and cause myself a lifetime of problems.

My use of this medication is very practical and not simply because I'm "feeling sad".

Rejected Rosebud

Currently, I'm stuck in a bad situation. Before I was in this situation, I was not experiencing depression. In a year from now, I will have my freedom back and will not need the medication. But I need it now for my insanity and to keep going. Otherwise, I will likely sabotage myself and cause myself a lifetime of problems.

My use of this medication is very practical and not simply because I'm "feeling sad".

You don't need to defend it, antidepressants are a godsend for many people like you and me. I don't know if I would have got through a really bad time if I didn't have them. It's good that you care about how you let her down.

Well, since she works with you, you really don't want her to know you are on meds...cuz, before you know it, it will pass on to others at work.

My dad once said that if you don't want people to know something don't tell anyone. In other words, people think that they tell one person something and ask them to keep it a secret. Then, that person tells another person and asks them to also "keep it a secret" and before you know it, everyone told "someone" they know and also asked them to "keep it a secret".