Is he really interested in me and should I wish him a happy birthday?

penellope

I've gone out with this guy 5x now since beginning September which sounds little but I was taking it slow trying not to say yes every time he asked me to hang out. We get along great and always hold good conversation. We've kept it casual so far, but we have hooked up. He's made it clear that he's gotten around and has been with a lot of girls in the past. I'm not sure why I assumed he must be juggling me and other girls around but that's because I like to assume the worst and see if I'm okay with that. Sometimes I kid around, I said how the hair he finds in his shirts are from other girls, and not mine or something implying he's seeing others but not in a jealous way just more of a "factual" way. (I once mentioned how I went on an innocent date with someone around the time I saw him, so yeah we are super open about this). So when I joke like that he'll look at me as if what I said isn't true at all about him and girls and why would I think that kind of thing. He said he's open to relationships but he claims it gets too much for him because girls get jealous and dramatic ect. (we haven't talked about our own relationship dynamic yet or anything). As much as I want to cross out the idea of being in a relationship with him a part of me is open to it too.

The thing is we don't talk consistently between dates. I don't really initiate texts, he's the one who does but it's always days after we hang out but every week he'll ask to go out at least once. So a week ago I thought i'd switch it up and text him first and we hung out Saturday for half the day at his place which was a first because usually we go out. So I really didn't want to contact him after this time for at least a while, not only because I want him to do it first but because I felt like we really acted intimate saturday, with all the cuddling and bed talk, and I felt like i was growing closer to him and I guess it kind of scared me and I wanted to take a little bit a space... nothing crazy just a week so I can clear my head. The thing is his birthday is tomorrow, and we've talked about it on several occasions, it always comes up some how and he told me how he was going out with his friends tonight. We aren't at that point where I'd do anything or get him anything, but i feel like it would be rude if I didn't at least text him and it'd look like I didn't care which isn't true, I do. I thought i would text something like "happy birthday, you can unwrap me later;)" just something settle/flirty. Would it be terrible if I didn't say anything? Is that a good message to send him? We haven't spoken in a couple days (normal with us).

Also what really put me off is that we didn't kiss bye the last time which might not be a big deal (I'm really awkward at good byes, but I kiss him anyways to be nice) but we didnt this time despite having a good day, but he was smoking which he knows I don't like cigarettes so i thought maybe he was just being considerate... I don't know. I am over thinking hard about this I know but I need to clear my thoughts somewhere and I hope I can get some honest feedback from someone I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Edited by penellope

Saying Happy Birthday would be a nice thing to do.

The bit about unwrapping you later is only OK if you are already sexually active or if you want to be.

• Author
Saying Happy Birthday would be a nice thing to do.

The bit about unwrapping you later is only OK if you are already sexually active or if you want to be.

On second thought I probably won't say that. I'm not big on sexting and stuff, I'm pretty reserved until it gets inside the bedroom. We have been having sex yes. But i don't think feel like putting myself out there as an object or whatever for him. I'll probably stick to a simply happy birthday!