Dating Sites, Hit or Miss?

frozengirl

I've always turned to online dating to date and have had relationships happen on and off over the years of dating. But are there any dating sites that are better than others or are they all the same?

I don't like being single and I don't know where to turn too as far as dating goes. I've tried dating site, Craigslist, all my friends are in their own relationships, and going out to clubs isn't my thing.

So what have you tried?

I'm thinking of getting back on OKCupid. Was on there years ago while in college but didn't pan out for me so I jumped ship. I've heard it's gotten a lot better now though so it's worth a shot.

I've been trying Tinder as well but that thing is a crapshoot. Only really met 2 girls on there and a TON of bots/scammers/etc. You'd have better luck than me as a girl though, but it's really not a great way to go if you're looking for anything serious.

It is strange. I have had plenty of dates and chatted with so many girls on PoF and it has led to nothing at all.

I went on OKCupid once and spoke to the first and only girl and we have been meeting up casually still 3 months on and things are great.

It really comes down to personal preference and the luck of the draw. You have be on there to get anywhere and if you in with a negative attitude you are destined to fail. Put up some great pics, a catchy profile which is not the norm and give all guys/girls that you consider reasonable and up a chance.

Tinder is shocking. It is like a mirror with someone telling you that you look ugly or fit and then ignoring you. Pointless App.

• Author

Yeah I am still giving POF and OkCupid shots but no luck. Either the guys I do find interesting aren't looking for something serious or they live far away or they aren't interested in me. So I do not know what to do. But I do know, I do hate being alone hahaha. And since I did date someone for a whole month its hard being alone again I was so use to that set up it felt so nice.

No site is particularly better than any other from a neutral perspective.

It's all about personal preference. Which one do you like, which you find easy to use, etc.

I found POF best because I liked the big blank box. It allowed me to be creative with how I expressed myself, rather than answering some boring stock questions such as your 6 favourite things or what you do on a friday night.

Best way to improve your date quantity or quality is to get a profile review. Find the forums for your chosen site (google POF forums there isn't a link from the site itself) and find the profile review forum. Nice people will help you out there.

• Like 1

I was on Match and OKC. I met more women (some were 5+ dates) on OKC but had more real relationships with Match. Luck of the draw probably.

I've always turned to online dating to date and have had relationships happen on and off over the years of dating. But are there any dating sites that are better than others or are they all the same?

I don't like being single and I don't know where to turn too as far as dating goes. I've tried dating site, Craigslist, all my friends are in their own relationships, and going out to clubs isn't my thing.

So what have you tried?

I have only tried OKcupid and POF. OKC was far superior. The girls were of better caliber, in terms of looks, at least. POF reminds me of a site for old, used-up guys and girls. It seems a lot trashier. Again, this is only my take on the Internet Dating scene.

I have only tried OKcupid and POF. OKC was far superior. The girls were of better caliber, in terms of looks, at least. POF reminds me of a site for old, used-up guys and girls. It seems a lot trashier. Again, this is only my take on the Internet Dating scene.

OKC, POF Tinder, Craiglist are all trashy....the fact that it's free, means you are bound to get less desirable types : jaded / scarred / entitled / drama / head game / nutjob / unemployed / druggies / etc on there ready to be swept off their feet.

I had a few from there earlier on, but dumped them so fast. All the ones from there either gave me a BJ on first meeting or banged me by 2nd date. Now any woman willing to do this isn't relationship material to me.

• Like 1
OKC, POF Tinder, Craiglist are all trashy....the fact that it's free, means you are bound to get less desirable types : jaded / scarred / entitled / drama / head game / nutjob / unemployed / druggies / etc on there ready to be swept off their feet.

I had a few from there earlier on, but dumped them so fast. All the ones from there either gave me a BJ on first meeting or banged me by 2nd date. Now any woman willing to do this isn't relationship material to me.

I disagree. The free aspect brings across a wide array of less desirable people, and even bots/scammers/stuff like that, but it also brings a lot more people to the table in general. Dating is a numbers game, especially if you're a guy.

Paid dating sites on the other hand tend to be exclusive to the people who are really serious about finding a relationship. You would think that's a good thing, but I think it just means you're going to get more people who are at the end of the line and tired of putting an honest effort out there. Women especially. If they are good looking they will have no problems getting plenty of matches on free dating sites. It's not that hard for them. The fact that they need to pay for a dating site suggests there may be something off there.

That sounds to me that you were looking for a quick fling/sex with them and once you got it - you immediately decided they werent relationship material.

That sounds to me that you were looking for a quick fling/sex with them and once you got it - you immediately decided they werent relationship material.

You will learn young man...just think of it this way, if a woman you just met is willing to give you a BJ on a first date and go to 3rd base on 2nd date...is this the kind of person you want to be with?

You will learn young man...just think of it this way, if a woman you just met is willing to give you a BJ on a first date and go to 3rd base on 2nd date...is this the kind of person you want to be with?

No, but chances are, I'd still have sex with them.

Awkward Grace
Yeah I am still giving POF and OkCupid shots but no luck. Either the guys I do find interesting aren't looking for something serious or they live far away or they aren't interested in me. So I do not know what to do. But I do know, I do hate being alone hahaha. And since I did date someone for a whole month its hard being alone again I was so use to that set up it felt so nice.

Have you tried letting your friends set you up with people they actually know? That is how I happened upon more than a few offers. I've never done an on line dating thing before so I don't know what they are like. What I do like is being able to trust that when I go out with my friends, I am greeted by people I can get the 'scoop' on right then and there.

If you come out and ask your friends to help you out, I'll bet they'd jump at the chance to play matchmaker for you because they love you!

nice bit of patronisation there old man ;P.

I think a lot has to be said to who you chose and how these 'occasions' came about.

As a woman, I found match to be the best site.

I agree that the free sites are more trashy. I only stayed on OKC for three days because I was getting a lot of sexual messages. Never on match. Same pictures. Found my boyfriend on match.

I looked for 18 months total, but wasn't active for long stretches. Just at first I was active for 5 months in 2013, then again for one month (October 2013), and again for another maybe three months total in 2014 (a couple of weeks earlier in the year, and May-July).

• Like 1

i found match to be the best of the options. most of the guys are on all the same sites anyway, so you will see the same photos between match/OKC. i had the most dates through match, OKC guys were more... i dunno, they wanted to message and phone-chat more than actually meet, and OKC seemed to attract younger guys. i don't do any anymore - i put more effort into meeting people IRL and that is so much better.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'd like to try Match but it costs money and how do you know the other person is also a paid or non paid member?