Have I been ghosted?

Hesjustnotthatin2u

Hesjustnotthatin2u

About a month or so ago I started talking to this guy on facebook - we share the same profession - videography and photography, and met on a wedding page. I recently posted about him, which you can read here.

The more we talk, the more personal and flirty things get. This past week was the first time he's actually came out and said that he's interested in me more than friends. He tells me I'm beautiful and has jokingly asked me if I'm 'real' after listing all my positive traits. We have such a strong connection and have been texting all day every day for the past couple of weeks. I really like where this is going, event though we haven't met yet. He actually brought it up for the first time the other day. And that's where the problem started.

I am a very sarcastic person with a dry sense of humor. I thought he picked up on that but maybe not. 2 days ago, he mentioned about meeting up one day. I joked back and said, 'yes we definitely have a lot of business to discuss. Networking is a good idea.' That was obviously sarcasm, and I figured he picked up on it. He joked back and said, 'that would be a horrible date if we just talked about business the whole time.' And I joked back again, maybe taking it a bit far, and said, 'Date? Who said anything about a date? Awkward. I thought this was just business.' He then wrote, 'It was a typo.'

I thought we were just joking around... but I haven't heard from him since. I'm kicking myself.

I messaged him on facebook today as if nothing happened and told him to check out a new band I heard of, and he never answered. That was like 10 hours ago.

The only thing I'm thinking is that he took me serious and feels stupid? I don't know what else could of happened. Do I message him AGAIN and say I was kidding the other day?? I don't want to mess this up...

Edited by Hesjustnotthatin2u

I don't think he understood you were being sarcastic. Sarcasm is not something that can be easily interpreted in words alone (texting or Facebook). If you want to save this, try apologizing for being sarcastic and ask him on a date.

• Like 1

Yeah... he didn't pick up on the sarcasm. I agree with the last poster, you can probably salvage things if you apologize. Tell him how interested you are, and ask him out. You may need to lay it on a little thick, since he's probably embarrassed.

Well to be honest if I was asking someone out and they said it was "business" and "networking" and then said "who said anything about a date". I'd take that as a knock back.

I don't see it as any form of a joke as I wouldn't find it funny. No wonder he's disappeared. Not everyone will understand your firm of wit. In fact it wasn't funny . when I read your pos I cringed.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hesjustnotthatin2u

Ugh I feel like such a jerk. I took all your advice and texted him.

I texted him and said, "I hope you know I was totally kidding about the whole networking thing. I absolutely don't talk to you just to network. I feel really stupid."

He responded, "I assumed you were joking since people who network don't talk until 2am lol.. I think..."

I told him that my sarcasm can get me into trouble and that I'm sorry if he took it the wrong way and that it's just me being awkward."

He said, "well for the record, I think you're pretty cool."

I think I saved it...

And I joked back again, maybe taking it a bit far, and said, 'Date? Who said anything about a date? Awkward. I thought this was just business.' He then wrote, 'It was a typo..

Sarcasm should have stopped when he responded that it would be a bad date if you both talked about business the whole time. Then you pounded on him and reiterated with yet another comeback of it being a non-date. It wasn't funny or sarcastic. I actually found your second response rude and cold. If anything, I would have taken it as you being serious and turning me down.

You can reach out and apologize and see where it goes. Maybe he will respond, maybe he won't. Sarcasm, whether the intent is to sound smart, funny, witty or attractive -- is easily misconstrued over text/email, although it really didn't sound like sarcasm.

• Author
Hesjustnotthatin2u
It would be a good time for you to extend an invite to meet up.

I hinted around at meeting up a few days ago and he mentioned how far the drive was but that we'd 'have to set something up'. So I did initiate it..

I hinted around at meeting up a few days ago and he mentioned how far the drive was but that we'd 'have to set something up'. So I did initiate it..

I thought this was your one attempt at contact, with him actually responding since that last bad exchange?

• Author
Hesjustnotthatin2u
I thought this was your one attempt at contact, with him actually responding since that last bad exchange?

I'm not quite sure I understand. But we've been talking for the past month but never met up. A few days ago I mentioned meeting up and it got blew over after we discussed the long drive. It got brought up again and that's when the whole networking thing went down.

TheBladeRunner

"Messaged him on Facebook"......"Texted him"......for God's sake, pick up the phone and call! Nobody picks up on ANYTHING from "messaging and texting".....sorry, sore spot. Use the phone!

• Like 1
I'm not quite sure I understand. But we've been talking for the past month but never met up. A few days ago I mentioned meeting up and it got blew over after we discussed the long drive. It got brought up again and that's when the whole networking thing went down.

Well, that was before he mentioned it being a date and the whole sarcasm issue. The thing is you shot him down when he attempted to break the ice with you. It wouldn't hurt for you to just tell him that you're open and available to a meet up and would certainly like to take him up on that date. Wink wink! Then let him take the next step.

And yes, pick up the phone.