Online 'friendship'......

Purpletyiger

[color=green]Well a few weeks ago I met a woman online (through an official site) and we've been sending emails to each other for a couple of weeks now.

Last week I mentioned that I was planning on spending a day, maybe two in Amsterdam for some shopping and I invited her along. At first she accepted and the next day got in touch to tell me she couldn't get time off work.

In the same email she also suggested that she booked an hotel for me.... :o

Anyway I declined but I'm confused about her offer? We haven't met in real life yet and while she seems very nice I'm just wondering how to read that... *sigh* I'm finding this very confusing....

Also since I declined, I feel that her emails have been somewhat shorter and I haven't heard from her in a couple of days - she could be busy, and me overreacting iono. :confused: [/color]

Could be that the superficial "online" thing was all she wanted. A little bit of flirting and friendly correspondence to help with her self-esteem and get through an otherwise boring day.

Could be that she never really expected to meet that virtual stranger in person…and now she's getting cold feet.

Could be that she was not 100% honest with you about her "real life" persona. Perhaps she posted a photo that was less than accurate and now she's afraid what you may think when you meet her in person. Perhaps she already has a husband/boyfriend she has not yet told you about.

Could be so long as it was "online" and impersonal…it felt "safe." But now she's not so sure about taking this beyond the privacy and safety of her own keyboard.

People can invent…and reinvent…themselves however many times they want; in whichever way they want; in the virtual world. Which is why you should always exercise caution and some healthy skepticism when you form online friendships/relationships! Most of the times, that faceless person on the other side of your monitor is never how you imagined them to be in your mind.

I'd ask her (politely) why she's so hesitant about meeting you in person. Perhaps try to arrange another more convenient time to get together…or at least talk on the phone in person. If she keeps putting you off, then you can bet there's something else going on that you probably don't want to know about anyway. In that case, drop the pursuit and keep your rosy memories. Your fantasy is probably much better than the reality anyway. ;)

• Author

Thank you for you responce. I'm curious how you read the whole 'book you a hotel thing'? I mean who offers to book a hotel for someone you've never met? - unless I missed something and it's in fact quite a normal thing to do????

Perhaps she aspires to be a travel agent?...Or maybe it was an effort to perform a kind deed to soften the blow of turning you down. Maybe it's just a way of keeping your relationship "friendly" but impersonal? :confused:

Only she can answer that one for you. :(

• Author

:( *pout* she comes across like such a wonderful person! I really don't care what she is/looks like. Her attitude and spirit are great! *cries* Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

I think I'll give it a couple of days and email her directly to her email and say?! I'll think of something to day....

Originally posted by Purpletyiger

:( *pout* she comes across like such a wonderful person! I really don't care what she is/looks like. Her attitude and spirit are great! *cries* Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

I think I'll give it a couple of days and email her directly to her email and say?! I'll think of something to day....

Well then that's your mistake. Online is Online. Real Life is Real Life. Learn to seperate that.