OLD: "Body Type"

Kid_Charlemange

Kid_Charlemange

I guess this can mean different things to different people.

On OKC, your choices are:

Thin

Overweight

Skinny

Average

Fit

Athletic

Jacked

A little extra

Curvy

Full Figured

Used Up

I don't know what the difference between "athletic" and "fit" is; and "Full figured" vs "Curvy" seems pretty arbitrary as well. Very few women use "overweight" and instead go for "curvy" or "full figured."

Myself, I switched from "a little extra" to average after I lost 30 lbs.

I once met a woman on OKC and we had some very nice chat and text sessions. Situations prevented us from actually meeting in person for several weeks, mostly due to my travel. She had herself listed as "average," and her photos were all from the sternum up. Pretty girl, great smile, nice hair, etc.

When we met, I was surprised to see that she is enormous. As in, so morbidly obese that she can barely walk. At 5-2, she is easily 250 lbs, and maybe more.

We didn't click on a number of levels, but part of it was that I felt she was deliberately misleading in her profile: Under no definition is her build "average."

I'm bald, still 20 lbs overweight, and not what you might call handsome. Yet in only one of my photos am I wearing a hat, two are full profile, and most are from the waist up. Hell, most of them are from 30 lbs ago. You know what you're getting with me...

Thin and skinny are the same to me. That's a funny list.

"Used up." :confused:

They should have slim hourglass, full hourglass, apple, pear, ruler. More descriptive than their list.

Ruby Slippers

When I first tried OLD, I specified "average", as I was in good shape and at a reasonable weight, but not especially fit/toned at that time.

The next time I tried it, I specified "fit" because I had just finished a 6-month stint of very focused fitness training (competitive tennis and a strength regimen with weights), and definitely qualified as fit and toned.

Personally, I only felt honest using "fit" when I was undeniably fit.

Now I'm back to "average", but am gradually working on getting "fit" again :)

They should have a body type online that says "Full Screen". When I tried OLD, I assumed that average meant anywhere from 10-30lbs overweight.

Without a photo, it's irrelevant. I can't tell you how many men I've seen who say they are athletic or fit and look fat. If there is no body shot, you can count the chins.

They need to demand a full figure photo that is current and without baggy clothes, and a photo of oneself on the scale with numbers in view, or reject the profile. If the OLD sites demanded this, do it or be gone, nothing awkward would come of it. Might as well get a notary public to stamp the event! Strange as it sounds, it would be yet another filter to improve the quality of the sites. Heck the TSA checks more than that to fly anywhere...

They should have slim hourglass, full hourglass, apple, pear, ruler. More descriptive than their list.

And pudgy, and a bag of cats too.

• Author
Kid_Charlemange

For grins, I searched on that type. There are two women who used that within a 100 mile radius of me. One basically describes herself as an alcoholic, the other is "pansexual," which is a term I was unfamiliar with until today.

Ruby Slippers
...the other is "pansexual," which is a term I was unfamiliar with until today.

I was reading about the personal training personality Jillian Michaels the other day for research for work, and her Wikipedia page states that she is also "pansexual".

Personally, I only felt honest using "fit" when I was undeniably fit.

Now I'm back to "average", but am gradually working on getting "fit" again :)

To me athletic means the person plays some sort of sport (not golf or bowls) or goes to the gym. Walking the dog around the block a few nights a week or walking 10 mins to the train station for work each morning, or lifting boxes as part of your job will have lots of people classifying themselves as 'fit' even though they are over weight. Fit is very much a weasel word for lots of overweight people from what I and my friends saw when we used OLD that allowed them to avoid 'a little extra'' and other nice euphemisms that mean 'overweight/fat.

From what I saw for people in mid 30s up 'average.' most often meant stocky/little chubby, and yeah that is the average these days in a fat country. (not saying this is you, just prompted to post from your comments). I also find it weird to have thin + skinny. I'm guessing thin gets chosen way more than skinny, though a woman using skinny would probably show up for plenty of guys in a filtered search whereas I could never see a woman search filtering for skinny guys.

I like skinny guys if they aren't weak. Mick Jagger is skinny but very strong physically due to a lifelong health and fitness habit.

Worth noting it's okcupid though... They deliberately have vague and overlapping categories so they can do psychoanalysis of their user base with respect to self perception and so forth.

• Like 1
isisisweeping

I used overweight - because I am - until I had a bunch of people insist it was inaccurate and described me as larger than I am. Categories are weird.

Fit would probably be accurate if they were doing cardiovascular/muscle strength/etc testing on me, and I work out more than most people, but I wouldn't use that because it's not my body type.

If it lists "Average" and there are no full body pictures, she's not "Average".

Learn, grasshopper.

• Like 3
If it lists "Average" and there are no full body pictures, she's not "Average".

Learn, grasshopper.

Same applies to men who are "athletic." Usually it means they look like a sumo wrestler.

• Like 2
  • Author
Kid_Charlemange
Same applies to men who are "athletic." Usually it means they look like a sumo wrestler.

I just uploaded a full length shot to my profile. Me wearing a suit (which is pretty frigging rare!). I look good. It's also obvious from it that I'm not in perfect shape, either... not fat, not thin. Average.

I'm never going to be accused of false advertising!

Honestly, there could be any variety of body types to choose to describe myself and I'd always just choose average. Trying to describe myself as anything else seems likely to turn problematic.

• Like 1
  • Author
Kid_Charlemange
Honestly, there could be any variety of body types to choose to describe myself and I'd always just choose average. Trying to describe myself as anything else seems likely to turn problematic.

Sure, but you're not 150 lbs overweight.

I submit that "morbidly obese" is not "average." Not even in the US.

• Like 1

But I also never posted a full body shot. Did not want anyone who was going to pass judgment about that. Just a nice headshot and listed as average body

isisisweeping
But I also never posted a full body shot. Did not want anyone who was going to pass judgment about that. Just a nice headshot and listed as average body

Can people really not tell these days from a headshot (and the angle and facial expressions) who has extra weight? Even those who have slimmer faces vs round faces at the point of obesity have to use certain techniques to conceal.

A headshot might not show slightly overweight but it shows obesity.

I posted a lot of full body shots and headshots in every angle I could muster because I thought showing up somewhere and the guy being instantly unattracted would be just an atrocious feeling. I'd rather not meet them if they could be weeded so easily.

I posted a lot of full body shots and headshots in every angle I could muster because I thought showing up somewhere and the guy being instantly unattracted would be just an atrocious feeling. I'd rather not meet them if they could be weeded so easily.

I never quite thought of it like that, but I figure the guys who could easily be unattracted if my body wasn't ideal, wouldn't even bother messaging me since I left out the body photos.

I always said I was average or curvy on OLD but nearly every man I met had to comment that I was much smaller than they expected.

Petite curvy?

• Like 1

There are plenty of athletic sumo wrestlers!