Do people date with break ups in mind?

irc333

I had spoken with a woman in her mid 50s that told me she's been in 3 long term relationships that turned into break ups anyhow. She said if she'd had married any of these men, they would have wound up divorcing anyway.

I'm not sure of the legitimacy of the statement, but is this a statement made in hindsight.

Does this suggest she was just in relationships that may have been alright, but not enough to justify getting married?

It's like people date or get into relationships with break ups in mind and not marriage

Maybe she has certain weaknesses that no man can tolerate indefinitely. Also possible she keeps looking for same kind of men, and same kind of problem keeps happening.

People with past broken relationships will be less optimistic about their future relationships.

You never know what it will turn into when you begin a relationship, right? So of course she was in relationships that were alright but not enough to get married. I'm sure you've been in those, because that's how most of them go.

That said, I'm sure people do what you are asking about. Maybe for money or companionship or steady sex.

• Like 1

Ever hear of the expression that you have to kiss a few frogs until you get a prince?

It's sometimes like that.

deathandtaxes
Not everyone wants their next relationship to be "until death do us part".

That's why marriages should have a contractual time limit.

It is similar going into anything . . . if you go into it with a sense of negativity and foreseeing the future in that light . . . it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 1

My first 'real' boyfriend when I was 17, while I enjoyed learning about dating from him, I knew 100% that I didn't want to be with him long term. I just enjoyed it for what it was at the time.

I think I have strung others along probably a few dates longer than I should have when I knew we wouldn't be good long term potential.

This can be deceiving but I also would likely be up front about it, especially if asked. I think most people kind of have an idea the first few dates if they see serious long term potential. Perhaps if you're on the fence you give it a try and someone can grow on you for the better or worse..

Ever hear of the expression that you have to kiss a few frogs until you get a prince?

It's sometimes like that.

Sometimes you kiss a Prince who turns back into the frog they really are :)