How important is a counteroffer?

Woop1337

A little background info:

This girl sits right next to me, but we've been in the same class from the previous semester. We have spoken sporadically before but not as much as compared to now, as we sit next to each other.

So class started 2 Mondays ago. We got reacquainted, I asked for her number the next day. Didn't text her till the next week, Tuesday. Because we talk in class anyway and I try not to text girls that I like.

So I asked her if I could take her out on a date that coming Friday. I said I'll pick her up by 7:00. She said she can't as she had made plans already with a friend and the next Friday (this coming Friday), she has to do laundry.

Now she works Monday to Friday 9-5. I have two jobs, so I work everyday. We go to school Monday thru Thursday 6pm-10pm. So Fridays are the only available days for me. Maybe for her as well.

Anyway she didn't counteroffer a different day and she even said she can't this coming Friday. Is that a sign of low interest? She laughs at my jokes, she initiates small talk and asks me personal questions.

For the guys, how important is a counteroffer to all ya'll? If none was given, do you consider it as a way for the woman to curve your advances?

For the ladies, if you like the guy, and he asks you on a date. But you can't that day, don't you offer a day you're available, right on the spot? And if you don't counteroffer and you make yourself unavailable for the forseeable future. Is that way to let the guy down easy and maybe he'll take the hint?

Some women do the counter offer and some don't..

I think she has low interest in you, or at least is keeping you at bay in the wings while she is working it out with another guy, that is why she threw out the laundry deal.. to keep you wondering but not shoot you down..

At least she didn't say she had to stay home and wash her hair :laugh:

I'd give her one more time, then wax her.

• Like 3

So I asked her if I could take her out on a date that coming Friday. I said I'll pick her up by 7:00. She said she can't as she had made plans already with a friend and the next Friday (this coming Friday), she has to do laundry.

She already knows she is going to be doing laundry over a week in advance. She can't find any other time to do it to go out with you. Yeah, sorry. She's not interested in going out with you.

To answer your question, I always counteroffer to make sure the guy knows I'm interested.

• Like 2

I agree with art critic.

She is showing very low interest. However, she didn't give you a complete "ewww go away creep" rejection, so I would ask her again. This time tell her you are only free on Friday nights and you were wondering if she wanted to hangout some friday night within the next few weeks. This puts the ball in her court. If she comes up with a lame excuse or says she will get back to you, then that means she is not interested and it is time to move on.

If I liked the guy but couldn't make it on the date he picked, I would work with him to find a mutually convenient time / activity.

The fact that she said she had to do laundry rather than go out with you tells me she'd rather not date you. Stop asking.

• Like 1
So class started 2 Mondays ago. We got reacquainted, I asked for her number the next day. Didn't text her till the next week, Tuesday.Because we talk in class anyway and I try not to text girls that I like.
Probably shouldn't have waited this long between getting her digits and asking her out. Strike while the iron's hot.

Laundry. Wow. Sounds like she can't wait to see you. :rolleyes:

Anyway she didn't counteroffer a different day and she even said she can't this coming Friday. Is that a sign of low interest? She laughs at my jokes, she initiates small talk and asks me personal questions.

For the guys, how important is a counteroffer to all ya'll? If none was given, do you consider it as a way for the woman to curve your advances?

To me, a counteroffer is very important. The idea is, if a woman is interested, she will find some way to make time for you. This girl, on the other hand, has demonstrated very subtly that she has no interest in you. Delete her number and move on.
  • Author

Thanks for all the insight. Everyone is absolutely correct. I also thought to myself "she'd rather do her laundry than hang out with me". But my mind was rationalizing her behavior.

I would bust a disappearing act but that would be impossible because we sit next to each other in class. Bah, whatever, I'll just deal with it.