Does anyone subscribe to Match?

FitChick

I just signed up the other day. I've been using a different site on and off for years so thought I'd try Match. I can't believe anyone would pay.

On my other site, where I would be notified someone had made me a favorite or sent me a message, without subscribing I could at least read their profile. With Match I get messages from the site "Someone from (town) is interested in you" and "You caught his attention on 9/27 at 1:50am" but I can't see who it is without subscribing. I've already done a search of the area and there are very few men I find appealing so the odds are not good. I don't mind subscribing if I think there will be at least a few men I might like.

Any other websites that cater to the educated over 40 crowd? A few I found a while back seemed to be full of old people looking for sex!

It has the same people from POF and Okstupid. Seriously, I made an account to check it out and before I paid or even put up a pic, I did a search and I saw 5 of the same girls I talked to on OKcupid on the first freaking page. lol I doubt they paid to use it, I think they just put their profiles up to see what might happen.

• Like 2
  • Author

More messages:

"He liked your photo"

"Your photo has received a comment"

Maybe if I get a few real messages, I will subscribe.

We have to think of a code to use to indicate we aren't subscribed but that will fly under the radar of the censors.

I was on it for a while. Whenever you try to actually set up a date, they just stop talking to you. It's just a toy for attention wh0res.

• Like 1

I've tried almost every web site. I have found this too be true. You'll have more success with the web sites you have too pay for. Both the man and woman are working with a limited window of time. So the people tend to be more serious about making their subscription purchase effective.

The down side to internet dating is if you live in a small town the internet dating pond is going to be small. I'm from a town of 120,000 people and about 30-35 miles from Fresno, CA (400+ thousand people). The pond does seem small.

So if you're in a small town you're likely going to have too expand the miles you're willing too go too meet someone. If you decide to purchase a subscription buy at least 3 months and do not give up. Just stick with it I've sent out over 50 messages and received no response. I've then sent out 1 message and gone on a few dates.

I tried eharmony when I was 21 and found that most of the people on the web site are over 25. The majority of my matches were not interested in dating a younger man. The 2 that were.. One posted pictures that were from 50lbs ago. She was HEAVILY over weight. The other was workaholic and admitted it was why she was using eharmony. After a month of trying to meet up with her I finally quit returning her calls.

Match.com I've used twice first go around I had almost no luck with. Second time around (right now) I'm having so/so luck. I have been about 3 weeks and managed to get about 12 phone numbers. But for some reason or another all the women go MIA shortly after talking.

Okcuppid and Plentyoffish (the two free ones). Tend to have more people but getting responses from the women on there is impossible. The free web sites are full of people who are not serious about dating or are sex addicts and using it to meet/sleep with as many people as possible. So I deleted my profile on both.

I'm currently using positvesingles, this web site is specifically for those who have herpes, hiv, hep.c and other incurable STD's. 99% of the members have HSV-1 (oral herpes) or HSV-2 (genital). How ever most are 100+ miles away from me. I've found we are all in the same boat and sick of getting rejected for having HSV-2. But I've also found I have no chemistry with most of the women. But we continue to talk to each other with the hopes something will change.

Stay clear of the "adult" web sites unless you want to get used and potentially get an STD.

Stay clear of Zoosk, the web site is a complete scam. I purchased a subscription. Even though you have purchased a subscription you can not communicate with people who you have mutual interest with. Unless you buy coins (which are not cheap) and unlock the person of mutual interest.

I also started dating my ex about a week after I bought the subscription. She was not happy I was on zoosk so I asked if I could suspend/hide my profile. NOPE but they happily canceled the subscription and refused too refund the subscription.

Best of luck if you buy a subscription.

• Author

Stay clear of Zoosk, the web site is a complete scam. I purchased a subscription. Even though you have purchased a subscription you can not communicate with people who you have mutual interest with. Unless you buy coins (which are not cheap) and unlock the person of mutual interest.

Wow, that is a scam.

Avoid LoveandFriends. They will tell you that someone is interested but you can't find out who until you rate dozens of people yes/no/maybe and the person in that group who is interested will be revealed. Then you still have to pay to message. No wonder people go to the free sites out of frustration.

Maybe I'll look for niche sites.

Edited by FitChick

Few things to add with online dating sites......

Many use multiple sites. It's quite common people rotate their membership between sites so they may do 3 months on eharmony, then 3 on match, the 3 on OKCupid, then 3 on plenty of fish, etc.

For my personality eharmony is better. Match is more like an online bar where you have yo hit on someone.

Free sites you will run into scammers or flakes.

5 years ago online dating sites were much better. You tended to have the serious ones that were active. No eharmony and match and other sites have thrown a wider net and have brought in more people who aren't seriously looking or they are looking fir specific type of person. For example they may be just wanting to find a dream catch they can't get in their normal search channels.

Another problem now is in how women are.....they don't want to settle for something less than their fantasy thus they pass ver good prospects to try and ging mr 110% that doesn't exist.

There is a psychological/behavior issue where someone passes over something decent because they might find someone better with all the people they see on a dating site. You may have a couple with great potential that if they met the traditional ways they likely would have stuck it out longer beyond 1-2 dates and actually developed into something. With it being online people are looking for faults in a person and then reject people over trivial shortcomings because of the online supply of others out there.

With dating sites...it's generally not for people in their early 20s. Usually people in this age tend to have more social networking through college or with many friends who haven't yet paired off.

Michelle ma Belle

Online dating is a necessary evil for those of us who don't have the time or inclination to hang out at bars every weekend especially once we've reached a certain age.

Every legit OLD spend millions of marketing dollars making and make all kinds of promises to us as to why we should choose their site over another.

Anyone who's ever checked out an OLD knows that most won't even allow you to peruse their database for very long (or at all) without registering (for FREE) as a member. What's the harm if it's free? So we kill a few minutes to setup a profile and start the processing of virtual window shopping. It doesn't take very long before we realize just how limited the "free" experience. We resist, at least initially.

Pretty soon our inboxes are flooded with messages and pokes and likes from dozens of potential mates all clamoring to communicate with us and all we need to do is...buy...the...membership. And still we resist until the anticipation forces us to grab our credit card and give in to the tease.

Suddenly those "prospects" turn out to be nothing like what we hoped for or even reachable for that matter and our inbox, although still receives mail, no longer resembles Christmas stockings overflowing with sweet delicious candy on Christmas morning :(

But whatever. We paid and we're now committed and so we make the best out of it until the cycle begins again on another site.

It might help to know that many dating sites are owned or managed by one parent company that share member information across multiple channels. Match.com is owned by a company called InterActivCorp who also owns TIL, Tinder, OKCupid, CollegeHumor, Vimeo, Match and 50 other internet website. They are a conglomerate and have been known to cross lines where customer privacy is concerned.

It might help to watch this link Fools for love: how an internet dating firm duped clients - Channel 4 News. It's a British expose on the whole OLD theme and how they deliberately scam and lure unpaid members into paying memberships by creating fake profiles showing great interest. It's a very interesting watch. I saw the full documentary on YouTube which also called out OKCupid specifically as one of the worst offenders.

Having said all of that, I'm not opposed to OLD and have enjoyed myself immensely when I was single and dating but after a while one learns to take everything with a grain of salt. It's hard not to become jaded or cynical with the amount of bullsh*t online especially since it seems to come from all ends but understanding what you're up against and going in with your eyes wide open might help put things into better perspective.

It's all very entertaining at the end of the day :)

• Like 4
I just signed up the other day. I've been using a different site on and off for years so thought I'd try Match. I can't believe anyone would pay.

On my other site, where I would be notified someone had made me a favorite or sent me a message, without subscribing I could at least read their profile. With Match I get messages from the site "Someone from (town) is interested in you" and "You caught his attention on 9/27 at 1:50am" but I can't see who it is without subscribing. I've already done a search of the area and there are very few men I find appealing so the odds are not good. I don't mind subscribing if I think there will be at least a few men I might like.

Any other websites that cater to the educated over 40 crowd? A few I found a while back seemed to be full of old people looking for sex!

I tried a subscription to match at the suggestion of a friend, and I will not be renewing it. During the three months I was there, I got few looks, and just one message from a woman who flaked almost immediately. For my part, the profiles I saw were so bland and generic, I didn't find any women who were my type (hippie gals). The people tended to be more straitlaced professionals. Okcupid had more women who were my type and is much better at matching people by similar interests. But after seeing the same women online each time I logged in for months, I'm taking a break from it. Really, I feel myself moving further and further from OLD. I want to go out and meet women in real life.

Edited by oberkeat

I think I've tried them all. What I have learned is people on dating sites put out the best "front" they can while the negatives are hidden. It takes a few dates but I'm always saying the same thing:

"Ah, no wonder why you are single/divorced"....

I'm the kind of person that now stays clearly away from dating sites. What I have been doing is try to talk to people I meet in person. From there I can find a stronger connection and get a better sense of personality.

So, my response to you is "RUN AWAY" from dating sites. They're a sham. Besides, if you cancel a subscription on one site, odds are you will find some of the same people on other dating sites. To me, I think the dating sites put up fake profiles simply to get users to pay for them.

Dating sites are in the business of making money, not creating relationships. Don't listen to eHarmony or any of the other dating site ads. They are FOR PROFIT operations.....and some of them have already been heavily fined for stacking their sites with fake profiles.

• Like 2

I subscribed to Match. Met my current GF there. We've been going out 7 months now. Never had much luck anywhere else.

I'm not saying that's because of Match per sey..but people that are willing to pay for something, usually are more invested.

• Author

On Match, what is the difference between "Someone is interested in you" and "You've caught his attention"? I also have three emails waiting. One is probably from the site, welcoming me. I'll wait to see if I get more.

I am an old hand at online dating, by the way. I am on Match because I am looking for somewhere to move out of state and am hoping to click with someone which would give me an excuse to visit his area. I have vacation days I need to use. I plan to keep switching my profile location until someone I like contacts me.

Edited by FitChick

The messages that someone liked your photo or you caught their interest doesn't mean much - just what they say. Unless someone sends a "like" or preferably a message, it just shows that your are getting some views. I do agree that the pay sites produce more serious contacts - few people have money to waste on dating, after all. I had my best results on match (my best dates and my wife found me there), with OKCupid a distant second.

Don't bother paying for this kind of thing. OkCupid and POF are the way to go if you even care to try. Chicks, even fat ones are spammed on there by horny dudes of all races. LOL I do better at Walmart and HomeDepot than I do on these sites, so just tells you how crappy the sites are. A lot of girls on there are to rate themselves, which is a misleading rating- way too many dudes are just looking for sex and nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Author
The messages that someone liked your photo or you caught their interest doesn't mean much - just what they say. Unless someone sends a "like" or preferably a message, it just shows that your are getting some views.

Are those things that nonsubscribers can do? If so there would be no point in subscribing to view them or contact them since they wouldn't be able to respond.

On Match, what is the difference between "Someone is interested in you" and "You've caught his attention"? I also have three emails waiting. One is probably from the site, welcoming me. I'll wait to see if I get more.

I am an old hand at online dating, by the way. I am on Match because I am looking for somewhere to move out of state and am hoping to click with someone which would give me an excuse to visit his area. I have vacation days I need to use. I plan to keep switching my profile location until someone I like contacts me.

I think the caught his attention is when they click 'yes' on the daily matches. Can't remember the other.

I think you'll have waaaaay more luck if you are proactive in your searching in other cities. You don't need to change YOUR location. Just find the ZIP code of where you want to go, start e-mailing guys, and see what happens!! :)

• Author

I think you'll have waaaaay more luck if you are proactive in your searching in other cities. You don't need to change YOUR location. Just find the ZIP code of where you want to go, start e-mailing guys, and see what happens!! :)

If I put down my current location I will hear from men who live here and I have no interest in staying here. No point in getting involved.

I could do a search out of state and wink or whatever I need to do (have to see how that works) so if they are interested they will send me an email. Then it might be worth subscribing. Some guy from Syracuse is interested but who the hell wants to live in Syracuse? Also someone from Lakeway TX which is outside Austin and upper middle class but it doesn't look that appealing to me from google pics. I could always convince him to move later. Wiki says most people are married there so maybe this guy is desperate!

Except, now that I think of it, they will be in the same boat I am in that if they aren't subscribed they won't be able to see who winked. I'm beginning to think this is an exercise in futility.

Edited by FitChick
  • Like 1

If you plan too move then you're going to have to be the person that reaches out. You can't change your location weekly and hope too have success. People come and go frequently. They might start dating someone it then fizzle and they come back. They also get burnt out take a breka and come back a few weeks later. So your method is very flawed and will not work.

If you plan too move then I suggest you browse the matches in the areas you are curious about moving too. If you see some you like message them. Just have thick skin with the messaging. Some might not respond for numerous reasons. They might not have a subscription, not be interested in long distance, or god knows what. The key is to keep at it.

What are you afraid of? Buy the subscription and not getting anything? Big deal it's what $50-75 for 3 months? What's $75?

Match has been the best web site for me so far.

Edited by Dork Vader
If I put down my current location I will hear from men who live here and I have no interest in staying here. No point in getting involved.

I could do a search out of state and wink or whatever I need to do (have to see how that works) so if they are interested they will send me an email. Then it might be worth subscribing. Some guy from Syracuse is interested but who the hell wants to live in Syracuse? Also someone from Lakeway TX which is outside Austin and upper middle class but it doesn't look that appealing to me from google pics. I could always convince him to move later. Wiki says most people are married there so maybe this guy is desperate!

Except, now that I think of it, they will be in the same boat I am in that if they aren't subscribed they won't be able to see who winked. I'm beginning to think this is an exercise in futility.

Just tossing this out here.

Since you are a "Fit Chick" and there are tons of "Fit People" here in San Diego, why not look for a guy (not me!!!) in San Diego that shares your interest in fitness. I have several friends that do the beach Yoga thing, cardio, etc workouts. All on the beach in San Diego.

Trust me, you can live anywhere in the world -- but why not live in the next closest thing to Paradise? It AINT Hawaii....the natives don't want us there :)

• Like 1

the main problem I find with OLD is. You get chatting to somebody and that gives you the false impression that you are getting to know them. Writing on a page means nothing until you meet. Messaging is a means to a date, that is all.

Its easy to get carried away when you chat to someone beautiful/handsome but you have to be careful not to get too attached to early. Chances are it wont work out. Hope for the best, expect the worst

Kid_Charlemange

I used to. Not a big fan because you have to pay to play at all.

I'm over 40 and had some success with OKCupid. Which, oddly enough, is owned by Match. There is still a subscription model but it just gives you more tools. You can still message and search and all that without spending a dime.

I tried Match out for three months and just ended my subscription earlier this month. Would I do it again? In short: yes.

I will say that it seemed very hit or miss. Women would like my pictures or be interested in my profile, but not respond to emails. Some women would email for weeks and never actually want to get together, etc. In my three months, I went on dates with less than a handful of women. I only went on second dates with two of them and one of them is now the one I have been seeing regularly (close to 10 dates now).

I'm 27 and felt like trying something different. I hadn't been finding/dating girls who were really a fit for me and, now that I have found someone who is intellectual, can carry conversations and is great to be around, I can see that.

If I get burned, I may bash Match (:laugh:), but I think it's worth an honest try, even if you have to sift through a lot of the garbage. For me, if what I have going right now works out, it's worth so much more than the $50 or whatever it was I paid to subscribe.