He's being rude and I don't know why?

Ashley S

I don't know why my friend is acting like this. It's all of a sudden. He seems disinterested and moody with me like he wants nothing to do with me then when I ask him he denies it. I haven't spoke to him, cause he's been in a weird mood with me lately, so I texted him and I was saying goofy things and joking around, and he said he was "annoyed" when I asked if he was angry. Then I said "Are you angry with me? I think you hate me!" He said "I think not" he denies it but he hasn't been treating me well lately. I was considering dating him and giving him a chance, but how the way he's been acting is making me reconsider.

I thought it was what's going on in his life, but then I was telling him how depressed I was and he didn't respond to my messages then I said "Sorry if I hurt you in anyway! I am going to stop texting you cause obviously I am being bothersome" He didn't respond to that either. I don't know if he feels like I play games with him? Cause he tried and tried with me. Dating, kissing me, whatever! He tried and I denied cause I love him as a friend. But it's really hurting me that he seems to hate me. Do guys do this if they feel like they are friendzoned? Or if they feel like the girl is playing head games? I don't know if he's "fed up" with me? I just don't understand and I am hurt by this.

Edited by Ashley S

Do guys feeling like this when they are friend zoned? Absolutely!! When you hang out with him, probably was real nice to him, texted him all the time, flirted with him, sucked up all the attention he gave you, you mislead him into thinking you had a romantic interest in him. He falls for you hard, musters up his courage to ask you out, and you turn him down. He is devastated, upset, confused and is feeling like a fool. Now he is stuck with all these emotions for you and is having a hard time getting rid of them.

He is pissed, so get off his back about it. He needs to be left alone.

Here's a tip....the majority of guys cannot be friends with you, they want to date you. That is why they want to hang out with you, text you, etc. If you have no interest in them, don't be friends with them. I learned the hard way and was accused of leading them on, them being obsessed with me, begging me to be with them, uhhhhhh is was so bad.Just keep company with girls.

• Like 6
Do guys feeling like this when they are friend zoned? Absolutely!! When you hang out with him, probably was real nice to him, texted him all the time, flirted with him, sucked up all the attention he gave you, you mislead him into thinking you had a romantic interest in him. He falls for you hard, musters up his courage to ask you out, and you turn him down. He is devastated, upset, confused and is feeling like a fool. Now he is stuck with all these emotions for you and is having a hard time getting rid of them.

Here's a tip....the majority of guys cannot be friends with you, they want to date you. That is why they want to hang out with you, text you, etc. If you have no interest in them, don't be friends with them. I learned the hard way and was accused of leading them on, them being obsessed with me, begging me to be with them, uhhhhhh is was so bad.Just keep company with girls.

Eventually we do grow out of this behavior but in our 20s and even 30s a lot of time, forget about it.

• Like 1
  • Author

I see. I didn't take him seriously cause he loves women! And he was in a relationship with this one chick for 3 years, but even though they broke up 2 years ago he seems to be the type that likes to have fun and is lookin for fun. That's the impression I got. So I didn't take him seriously when he tried to go out with me cause I thought he was just giving it a shot but he wasn't serious about it. He use to tell me all the time how he's feeling and now he seems closed off and unavailable. I feel like the friendship's ending, but I am really hurt cause I do love him! I can't just move on from this, I considered him my best friend! But like I said I didn't take it seriously cause I thought he was just giving me a shot and oh well if I don't comply or go out with him. Thank you for the tips and I do agree with you on what you said, so true! :)

Tell him you're sorry you don't like him in that way, but you'll introduce him to lots of good looking girls if he's nice to you again. And start doing it once he brightens up. Maybe even pre-arrange one as a peace offering, but she has to be better looking than you.

He'll get over you soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Author
Tell him you're sorry you don't like him in that way, but you'll introduce him to lots of good looking girls if he's nice to you again. And start doing it once he brightens up. Maybe even pre-arrange one as a peace offering, but she has to be better looking than you.

He'll get over you soon enough.

I told him that I was sorry if I hurt him in anyway. I asked him if he was angry with me and if he hates me and he denies it and says he doesn't, yet he's treating me like I don't matter and he's not treating me well, so it makes no sense. I think he's just not coming out and telling me that he just is annoyed with me and doesn't like me. It hurt me a lot though. I can try to introduce him with some girls lol, and trust me there are better looking girls, and I know a lot that are better looking than me, I'm nothing special. But it makes my heart break to know that he doesn't like me and I don't know the reason. He is ignoring my texts and not responding, and he just seems totally disinterested and vague, rude, and doesn't care. That is what i'm getting from him and it hurts me a lot, cause I didn't take him seriously, when he asked me out cause he loves women, and loves to date women a lot, he doesn't seem like the relationship type, so I never took him seriously, but maybe he was. I'm not sure. Unless he just generally hates me. Maybe it's not even about the rejection. He probably just hates me, and that hurts a lot. Thank you! You have some good points :)

You're perfectly entitled to decide based on whatever you think is right for you. But stop asking him all that ****. He doesn't want to admit it to you. He doesn't hate you, he's just sulking and right now, he doesn't have any reason to talk to you. Right now, talking to you, seeing you, being near you just makes him feel bad, because he can't have what he wants, whatever that is.

Don't worry about it. Just tell him what I said you should tell him. You'll see. It may not be right away, but he'll come around.

Oh, and if you're really in Maryland, you need to go to bed!

• Like 1
He's being rude and I don't know why?

IMO, it's mostly his responsibility but he could be invested romantically in a relationship which will never be romantic simply due to lack of romantic interest on your part. In reality, none of us can ever know what's in his mind. Only he knows.

The best way I can explain this to a woman is how you feel when a guy you've been having sex with isn't interested in an emotionally bonded relationship with you and you have your heart and soul set on one. You feel used. With guys, baring their emotions is like a woman baring their sexuality. Both are vulnerable. Men are socialized to ignore emotional pain and suppress their emotions and being intimate with a woman in that way is very vulnerable for them. At an elemental level, you rejected him emotionally. However, at that point, his socialization should kick in, to ignore such incursions and recover from them, and his rudeness could be part of that process.

OTOH, it's entirely possible this guy is a faker and this whole thing is a ruse for effect. That happens too! Being cynical in such matters is one potential effect of a lot of life experience.

My advice would be to leave him to process this stuff and move on to other things, which is what friends do. We support our friends but are not invested in them like a lover or spouse is. He'll figure his stuff out. You've got plenty of other friends to enjoy life with in the interim.

• Like 3

Stop keeping him as a friend for the ego stroke and give him space to allow him time to get over you. Eventually he might come back to being friends but that is not always the case. It's selfish for you to expect him to just instantly squash his feelings and pretend to only like you as a friend.

The anger is centered around his unreciprocated feelings. I agree with the advice from by Carhill above ^.

• Like 1
  • Author
Stop keeping him as a friend for the ego stroke and give him space to allow him time to get over you. Eventually he might come back to being friends but that is not always the case. It's selfish for you to expect him to just instantly squash his feelings and pretend to only like you as a friend.

The anger is centered around his unreciprocated feelings. I agree with the advice from by Carhill above ^.

I do like him, and I love him. I don't keep him around for a ego stroke, I consider him my best friend! I care about him so much! I was considering dating him but because of these antics he's pulling and him being rude to me, is making me reconsider. I am confused now, cause it's out of nowhere, he instantly hates me and I have no reason why. The only logical reason I can come up with is the fact that I rejected him a lot and maybe it's building up and it's getting him fed up with me. That's the only thing I could think of but who knows he might just hate me and that is even worse to think about. Like I said I don't know how deep his feelings are for me. He loves women and he loves to mess around and have fun he doesn't seem like the relationship type, and so that is another reason WHY I didn't give him a chance. I thought when he tried asking me out and stuff that he was just giving it shot but it was no hard feelings, I thought he was just trying with me but he wasn't serious but who knows maybe he was. Or maybe he wasn't but I guess I didn't look at how much he likes me, I didn't see the severity in his liking towards me or his feelings and that is obviously my fault cause if he does have deep true feelings for me then yes! I do wish him the best in life! And I will respect his wishes if he didn't want to see me, but see...he's not telling me any of this. He's not telling me why he's mad and what not. So it just leaves me with confusion and I have no idea what to do cause he's my best friend and I love him to death, it would feel like losing a brother if I lost him so it's hard for me to imagine life without him in a way but I have a feeling it's heading towards that direction and it's really painful and sad to think about cause he's my best friend and I don't want to lose him. Thanks.

• Author
IMO, it's mostly his responsibility but he could be invested romantically in a relationship which will never be romantic simply due to lack of romantic interest on your part. In reality, none of us can ever know what's in his mind. Only he knows.

The best way I can explain this to a woman is how you feel when a guy you've been having sex with isn't interested in an emotionally bonded relationship with you and you have your heart and soul set on one. You feel used. With guys, baring their emotions is like a woman baring their sexuality. Both are vulnerable. Men are socialized to ignore emotional pain and suppress their emotions and being intimate with a woman in that way is very vulnerable for them. At an elemental level, you rejected him emotionally. However, at that point, his socialization should kick in, to ignore such incursions and recover from them, and his rudeness could be part of that process.

OTOH, it's entirely possible this guy is a faker and this whole thing is a ruse for effect. That happens too! Being cynical in such matters is one potential effect of a lot of life experience.

My advice would be to leave him to process this stuff and move on to other things, which is what friends do. We support our friends but are not invested in them like a lover or spouse is. He'll figure his stuff out. You've got plenty of other friends to enjoy life with in the interim.

I completely understand! I just like to get opinions, I know nobody truly knows cause none of us are inside his mind, but it's just always good to get different perspectives on what you are confused about. I understand, and you seem to be onto something. It's just he's my best friend and I love him so much. I would hate to lose him. It would feel like losing a brother that is how much I love him, but thank you for the info and advice! :)

Rule #1 of man law: no matter how bad she hurt you, never acknowledge that she meant anything to you. Act like she doesn't matter. That's why he's not explaining why he's ignoring you. Honestly I don't understand why you're not getting that. He won't admit that your rejecting him hurt him in the least bit. You just need to let him be even if you have had a change of heart you just need to let the dust settle before bringing it up. If you want to date him you will need to make it your idea.

Contrary to popular myth, it can be really hard to continue a friendship after rejection.

Best of luck

• Like 1
I completely understand! I just like to get opinions, I know nobody truly knows cause none of us are inside his mind, but it's just always good to get different perspectives on what you are confused about. I understand, and you seem to be onto something. It's just he's my best friend and I love him so much. I would hate to lose him. It would feel like losing a brother that is how much I love him, but thank you for the info and advice! :)

Sorry but even I don't feel that kind of emotional attachment to my own brother. You are kidding yourself. Your emotional attachment is so intense it's the same as if he was your BF, but without the sex. He can't be in that kind of emotionally intense relationship with you for friendship sake....most guys can't unless they are gay.

• Like 1
  • Author
Sorry but even I don't feel that kind of emotional attachment to my own brother. You are kidding yourself. Your emotional attachment is so intense it's the same as if he was your BF, but without the sex. He can't be in that kind of emotionally intense relationship with you for friendship sake....most guys can't unless they are gay.

I do have feelings for him, and I guess you could say I always had but I just never went further with my feelings cause of how he jumps from woman to woman, and I didn't want to be his next "victim" or woman he uses. So I did force myself to be friends with him, cause I knew it wouldn't work as boyfriend and girlfriend, cause he probably would cheat or use me temporarily and I didn't want to get myself in that predicament. You know that expression "It;s better to have him in my life than to not have him at all" Yeah exactly me. Do I want it go further? Yes. Do I want him as a boyfriend? Yes. But I can't listen to my heart, I need to listen to my head and I think it's best if we are friends even though that's not what he wants or what I want, but like I said I would rather have him in my life as a friend than to not have him at all. It sickens me to think about the departure and I have a feeling that's where it's going to lead to. I don't want that to happen but I know if he has deep feelings for me that I just have to let him go cause it would be selfish on my part, I do understand that. I am all about communication though, if he could just tell me what's wrong and what I am doing to him, then I can have a better understanding and I will know what to do, but it's also hard to let him go cause I really don't know what's flowing through his head. Like I said, it's an assumption, the whole rejection thing, cause that is the only thing I could think of why he would be upset with me cause I can't think of anything else. He might just hate me cause he hates me for all I know, but there has to be a reason and that is the only thing I can come up with, cause I have been through thick and thin with him, I thought our bond it pretty tight. But I think I messed up and I hurt him somehow. I just wish he would tell me so I could understand better and know what's going on. Thanks.

• Author
Rule #1 of man law: no matter how bad she hurt you, never acknowledge that she meant anything to you. Act like she doesn't matter. That's why he's not explaining why he's ignoring you. Honestly I don't understand why you're not getting that. He won't admit that your rejecting him hurt him in the least bit. You just need to let him be even if you have had a change of heart you just need to let the dust settle before bringing it up. If you want to date him you will need to make it your idea.

Contrary to popular myth, it can be really hard to continue a friendship after rejection.

Best of luck

I didn't mean to hurt him though. I wasn't taking him seriously. I thought he was just giving it a shot when he tried to go out with me and such, and he wanted to go to bars. He didn't ask me to go with him to decent places. So I thought he just wanted to hook up with me and that's not what I want, but I love him so I kept him as a friend. I honestly didn't think he had deep feelings for me but it seems like he does cause out of nowhere he seems to hate me, and I don't know why. The only logical thing I could think of is the rejection, cause there's nothing else that happened. I never intended to hurt him nor was I an attention whore who loved his attention. I love him for him but I can't be stupid and follow my heart, I also have to listen to my head and that is why I didn't go further with him cause he would jump from woman to woman and he never seemed to settle down with anyone and I refuse to let myself be one of those woman. So I had to force myself to be his friend, it's not what I want but I feel like I have to cause I need to protect myself. I am already hurt though, cause I don't want to lose him, he's my best friend, and he was the only one I felt a tight connection with and that I love.

Hey Ashley, I remember your previous threads (about your friends Kevin, Adam, etc.) because they never seem to be about actual dating or anything romantic, but always about guys in your friendzone who start acting "weird".

My advice for you would be to stop trying to figure out why guys act this way for a while, and start trying to figure out yourself first. You know, they always keep saying that when a guy gets friendzoned, it's 100% his fault, but when you see a woman who constantly suffers from so many guys in her friendzone and keeps complaining about it, obviously there is a problem with her and the way she handles her "friends, and I don't think it would be fair to put all the blame solely on the guys.

Stop giving guys you don't see yourself with false hopes. And cut the "I genuinely care for him" BS. If you genuinely care about them in a friendly way, leave them alone. It's a hard decision maybe, but really, ask yourself: Why on Earth would you want to be friends with someone who is constantly thinking about you in a sexual way and wants to see you naked eventually?

• Like 1

I think it's fairly tragic that young men don't seem to want women in their lives if it's just as friends. Young women definitely value men as friends. But since that seems to be the concensus, perhaps you should cut him free. However painful it is.

As someone else said, they do grow out of it.

• Like 3
Hey Ashley, I remember your previous threads (about your friends Kevin, Adam, etc.) because they never seem to be about actual dating or anything romantic, but always about guys in your friendzone who start acting "weird".

My advice for you would be to stop trying to figure out why guys act this way for a while, and start trying to figure out yourself first. You know, they always keep saying that when a guy gets friendzoned, it's 100% his fault, but when you see a woman who constantly suffers from so many guys in her friendzone and keeps complaining about it, obviously there is a problem with her and the way she handles her "friends, and I don't think it would be fair to put all the blame solely on the guys.

Stop giving guys you don't see yourself with false hopes. And cut the "I genuinely care for him" BS. If you genuinely care about them in a friendly way, leave them alone. It's a hard decision maybe, but really, ask yourself: Why on Earth would you want to be friends with someone who is constantly thinking about you in a sexual way and wants to see you naked eventually?

I was about to post the same thing. OP, is this guy the same one from your other threads? Or does this keep happening with different guys?

Either way, you need to leave him alone. He clearly doesn't want to speak to you right now.

• Like 1
I think it's fairly tragic that young men don't seem to want women in their lives if it's just as friends. Young women definitely value men as friends. But since that seems to be the concensus, perhaps you should cut him free. However painful it is.

As someone else said, they do grow out of it.

This is a rather dull statement and a wrong assumption. Young men do want women who are just friends in their lives, just not the ones they have feelings for. Simple as that. There is nothing wrong with a friendship between a man and a woman when they're both on the right page about it. But if feelings are involved from one party, and one has different intentions, that's not really a friendship and I cannot understand how some women seem to be okay with that.

I had a friend who started hitting on a girl, she seemed very interested in him, and after a few dates when he tried to kiss her, she said she doesn't see him this way and wants him just as a friend. He said he doesn't want her as a friend, and she was almost surprised and offended that he doesn't want to be friends with her, and asked him "Why?". He said, "Why? Because that's not really what I want, and because I have feelings for you that go beyond than just a friend", to which she said "Well I am okay with that, they will fade away in time, I can wait for that"...

Like, really? It's like saying "I want to keep you around as a friend, but I will not give you what you want, but I will get everything I want from you, while you suffer in my friend zone because of your feelings for me, until you're absolutely crushed and can learn to be my friend without asking for more". Does that really sound like a friendship to anyone?

Just as a woman has the right to say NO to dating a man, a man has the right to say NO to a friendship request from a woman. It's really far from being tragic that a guy can make the right decision that will cost less emotional damage to both parties in an uneven "relationship" with a woman.

• Like 1

If women are willing to be friends and men choose to remain friends, you can hardly blame women for thinking that he's ok with that. When I offer to be friends with a man, it's genuine. But this quote from a presumably young woman is what made me think it's tragic -

"the majority of guys cannot be friends with you, they want to date you. That is why they want to hang out with you, text you, etc. If you have no interest in them, don't be friends with them"

If men hang around hoping that it's going to turn into something more, that's his look out. Your friend had absolutely the right idea, and I agree that women shouldn't get upset about a man choosing not to remain friends. Equally though, if a woman offers friendship and he accepts he shouldn't get upset that that's ALL she wants.

• Like 2
  • Author

Well yeah, this one is about Adam. Adam has been through my life though and is the only one I connected to. It's not "BS" when I say "I genuinely care" for him cause I do! I have romantic feelings for Adam, and I was considering going out with him, but since he's ignoring me and such it's pushing me away, but do still love him. He's my best friend, we've bee through thick and thin! I do genuinely care for him and love him and it would feel like a total loss if he were out of my life, but if he would communicate and tell me what I did wrong, or why he's upset with me then I would respect his decision and understand the situation better. What frustrates me more is that he won't tell me why. He denies that he's angry with me, and he is ignoring some of my texts so I am just going to stop texting him cause obviously he doesn't want me in his life, but I just wish I knew the exact reason. I thought he was ok with being friends, cause he stuck around with me. I thought that we had a close bond that is untouchable. I thought we would always be there for one another, but I had to force myself to not go further with him cause he bounces from woman to woman and I don't want to be part of those women he bounced around with, so I figured I would be friends with him but we developed a deep connection, and so it does hurt and feel like a loss. Thank you.

• Author

I think everybody here thinks that I am an attention whore that needs my ego stroked, that is not the case what so ever. I love him and care about him. He's seriously my best friend, I helped him out, he helped me out. We've been through thick and thin and I developed a tight bond with him. He chose to be in my life, so I thought he was ok with being friends cause we had a tight bond. I have feelings for him but because he jumps from woman to woman made me hold off. I would rather have him in my life than to not have him at all, I don't think he's boyfriend material, but I accepted that and I figured the friendship would be good enough, cause I love having him in my life. Also I am a very dense person obviously, I didn't take him seriously when he was asking me out and such, I thought he was just giving it a shot but it didn't matter though. Cause he's such a womanizer that he figured "Ok, she didn't bite, onto the next one" That's what I literally thought, I didn't think he was in love with me or had deep feelings for me that are real. But I thought our friendship was real. I can see it coming to an end, and I will respect him if it's because I don't reciprocate, but he should have done this a long time ago, when my emotions and bond wasn't invested and I didn't feel like we were that close, cause then it wouldn't be a loss. It's a loss to me now cause of all the memories and how close we are, and the emotions that are invested etc. I am all about communication, and I just wish he would be honest with me and say anything. Tell me what's going on, tell me what I did etc. I said I was sorry if I hurt him in anyway, and he didn't respond, so I guess I did, I just wish he would tell me specific details on how I hurt him.

Edited by Ashley S
I think everybody here thinks that I am an attention whore that needs my ego stroked, that is not the case what so ever. I love him and care about him. He's seriously my best friend, I helped him out, he helped me out. We've been through thick and thin and I developed a tight bond with him. He chose to be in my life, so I thought he was ok with being friends cause we had a tight bond. I have feelings for him but because he jumps from woman to woman made me hold off. I would rather have him in my life than to not have him at all, I don't think he's boyfriend material, but I accepted that and I figured the friendship would be good enough, cause I love having him in my life. Also I am a very dense person obviously, I didn't take him seriously when he was asking me out and such, I thought he was just giving it a shot but it didn't matter though. Cause he's such a womanizer that he figured "Ok, she didn't bite, onto the next one" That's what I literally thought, I didn't think he was in love with me or had deep feelings for me that are real. But I thought our friendship was real. I can see it coming to an end, and I will respect him if it's because I don't reciprocate, but he should have done this a long time ago, when my emotions and bond wasn't invested and I didn't feel like we were that close, cause then it wouldn't be a loss. It's a loss to me now cause of all the memories and how close we are, and the emotions that are invested etc. I am all about communication, and I just wish he would be honest with me and say anything. Tell me what's going on, tell me what I did etc. I said I was sorry if I hurt him in anyway, and he didn't respond, so I guess I did, I just wish he would tell me specific details on how I hurt him.

He doesn't wish to speak to you at this time. Leave him be. Sometimes we never get the answers we want, and the way we view friendships/relationships can in fact be quite different from how the other party views them. You cannot force someone to speak to you. If you respect him as a friend, you will give him space now. He isn't responding to you and continuing to text or call isn't going to help. Yes, it sucks, but there's really not much else you can do.

• Like 1
  • Author
He doesn't wish to speak to you at this time. Leave him be. Sometimes we never get the answers we want, and the way we view friendships/relationships can in fact be quite different from how the other party views them. You cannot force someone to speak to you. If you respect him as a friend, you will give him space now. He isn't responding to you and continuing to text or call isn't going to help. Yes, it sucks, but there's really not much else you can do.

Yeah I'm not going to call him or text anymore. I am just going to sulk and be depressed. I think our friendship has ended and it sucks cause I am a concrete person, that needs clear answers and reasons but not everyone is like me, so I will probably never get a concrete reason why he is hating me right now. I can only guess, but it hurts me a lot. I know to just quit contact but it still hurts and now I feel abandoned and depressed cause he's literally my best friend and that was the one person I didn't want to lose in my life :(

Equally though, if a woman offers friendship and he accepts he shouldn't get upset that that's ALL she wants.

^ This. And that is exactly what happens the majority of the time. They are deceptive to keep their foot in the door and it just gets creepy.

• Like 1