Is Lying always a deal-breaker?

Is lying always a deal-breaker in relationships? Even if it is a small white lie. I have a habit of telling white lies all the time. Like if a woman asks me what I ate for lunch I would tell her I ate at Burger King when I really ate at Mcdonalds. In some of my past relationships the woman would catch me in this kind of lie but stayed with me anyway for awhile.

I don't lie about big things but I do lie about insignificant stuff all the time about what I ate for lunch.

It's a deal breaker for me.

If I can't count on his word to be true - then I have nothing but lies as the basis or foundation. And a foundation built on lies isn't worth building upon.

Have you read the four agreements by Ruiz? It may help you.

Is lying always a deal-breaker in relationships? Even if it is a small white lie. I have a habit of telling white lies all the time. Like if a woman asks me what I ate for lunch I would tell her I ate at Burger King when I really ate at Mcdonalds. In some of my past relationships the woman would catch me in this kind of lie but stayed with me anyway for awhile.

I don't lie about big things but I do lie about insignificant stuff all the time about what I ate for lunch.

Are you the one with erection problems? Are you being take care about your previous issue?

Now you are a liar... oh well Darren, you are a jewel of a man. so, the woman stayed with you besides you lied to her and besides you could'nt have sex with her?

• Like 2
todreaminblue

sounds compulsive you lie about things even it has no effect if you tell the truth or not....deb

evanescentworld

Lying is False Speech. False Speech is a sign of a False person. if you cannot be trusted when you speak, you can never be trusted any other time either.

• Like 3

How most people look at it is: if s/he's going to lie about something THAT bloody stupid and unimportant and ridiculous...than what ELSE will s/he lie about???

Do you have any idea what is or might be motivating, driving you to lie about what you had for lunch...especially when the difference is along the lines of BK vs. McD's???

Edited by Ronni_W
spelling
  • Like 3

If he'd need to lie about something, he either doesn't trust me or hides something from me. Definitely nothing for a relationship.

First of all, that wasn't a white lie, it was a selfish lie, and not acceptable. Everyone lies, but most are white lies which are just social lubricants to prevent hurt feelings, things on the order of "No, you don't look fat in those jeans" or "I like your new haircut."

Yeah. ESPECIALLY stupid lies! I can understand the motivation behind some lies like shielding people you love or whatever but lies that destroy any trust for zero reason - unforgivable.

• Like 1

One of the red flags that you are dealing with a sociopath is that they routinely lie, and usually about stuff that does *not* matter one bit.

I am not saying that you are a sociopath, of course, but that is how you will eventually appear to people if you keep lying about silly stuff like where you ate lunch ! What the hell kind of difference does it make if you ate at Burger King or MacDonalds of Carl's JR ? Even if she does not think you are a ticking time bomb, at the very least she is going to think that she cannot trust you a bit. I mean, if you can lie about silly, insignificant stuff like lunch, what pretty significantly important stuff are you fibbing about ? Maybe you have a wife somewhere but claiming to be single ? Catch my point ?

Lying is definitely a deal breaker for me, no matter what the lie is about. Lying is THE worst kind of betrayal of trust that there is. I would never trust a liar again no matter what. People who lie are cowards.

Sometimes I will lie about shoplifting when I was a teenager when I never really did.

You need help. It is not normal to claim to have committed crimes that you did not do. Please seek help first for your problems -- dating and relationships and all that stuff can wait. Your mental health / well-being should be your top priority for now !