Dating a girl with IBS

nightbird101

nightbird101

Background

So there's this girl I met the other day and we're going on a bit of a date. When I was trying to organize places for us to go out I noticed she was saying she couldn't eat much.

It wasn't until I asked is when she said she has IBS. I have no problem with that at all and I'm more than happy to support her through it.

Why this is tricky

Because of her IBS, I have the challenge of picking activities and stuff for us to do outside the simple 'eating lunch/dinner'.

My question is

What are some good places to go to and have a date that doesn't involve eating.

What We've planned

Coffee and dance class after...followed by me asking her to date me officially.

About us

We're both rather creative people, though she's more into drama and I'm into visual arts. We do share creativeness in music...that's kind of all I know at this point hens the catch up/ light date.

acrosstheuniverse

It's a pretty internationally known acronym for irritable bowel syndrome, a well known condition.

Failing that, if you tap it into google the top link states what IBS is.

• Like 7

Why this is tricky

Because of her IBS, I have the challenge of picking activities and stuff for us to do outside the simple 'eating lunch/dinner'.

Why?

My question is

What We've planned

Coffee and dance class after...followed by me asking her to date me officially.

About us

We're both rather creative people, though she's more into drama and I'm into visual arts. We do share creativeness in music...that's kind of all I know at this point hens the catch up/ light date.

Why not to some kind of an art exhibition? Anything outside food shouldn't be a problem. I have IBS and I know exactly what food groups I can't have (mainly dairy) so I avoid Italian restaurants but all Asian cousine is fine for example. She should be able to give you guidance on that.

I can go to museums, exhibitions, to the zoo, to the pub, to the coffee shop, for a walk, skating, to the cinema, to the theatre, to gigs/concerts. Absolutely anything in the whole wide world that doesn't involve dairy products.

• Like 1
Why?

Why not to some kind of an art exhibition? Anything outside food shouldn't be a problem. I have IBS and I know exactly what food groups I can't have (mainly dairy) so I avoid Italian restaurants but all Asian cousine is fine for example. She should be able to give you guidance on that.

I can go to museums, exhibitions, to the zoo, to the pub, to the coffee shop, for a walk, skating, to the cinema, to the theatre, to gigs/concerts. Absolutely anything in the whole wide world that doesn't involve dairy products.

Can you go to farms?

• Like 3

Well, what causes the IBS?

I mean, if I read your thread correctly I gather she "can" eat but is just limited as to how much/what she eats?

Why don't you ask her what would work for her?

Also, why does every date have to be centered around food? Even "if" she didn't have IBS, I'm sure the only activities you two do wouldn't be limited to eating?

Also, I'm curious as to why she has IBS because of course IBS is about diet and if you're looking for someone for the long-term, their ability to take care of their own body and cook for you and any kids you two may have is important, IMO.

IMO, many Americans eat out, too much processed garbage, fats, carbonated crap, and simply don't cook anymore. Also, it doesn't help that most of our foods are genetically altered and/or fed hormones, sprayed with pesticides, etc.

While I'm not into the whole holistic/organic thing, years ago I was following my crazy girl-friends and eating crap and I guess you could say I landed what could be called IBS. Well, I went back to my roots and made significant changes in how I prepare food, stopped eating out so much, minimized carbonated crap and not only lost a lot of weight, but am waaaay better. So again, I'd seriously be looking into what's causing the IBS.

A friend years ago cured her IBS by changing her diet and seeing an herbalist. Wish I could tell you what all that involved but don't remember. Perhaps google natural remedies. Very painful condition.

Walk in the park

Miniature golf

Roller blading

Sitting somewhere quiet and talking.

Etc.

OP, she has a medical condition that is both controllable and treatable. She has options. She's also a grownup and we grownups deal with all kinds of personal issues and still have no issues dating.

In my case, I use natural treatments for gall bladder disease and, yep, diet is a part of that so I adapt my requirements to whatever social activity I participate in. It's really no big deal. If I can't eat that big juicy steak, I have a bite and eat the salad. etc, etc. Gallbladder issues can upset the digestive tract markedly similar to IBS and, yep, I've had to deal with that too. Roll with it, try different things and see what works.

The way I see it is, with friends fighting cancer and having parts of their bodies removed, well, I have it pretty easy. Good on you for being sensitive to your dating partner's condition. My advice would be to simply communicate and ask her what works for her. She knows herself best. Don't even get into details simply ask 'what would work good for you today, hon?' or something like that. Roll with it.

I've had IBS over 20 years.

It is tricky. With mine I will go months perfecttly fine, then bam! You just have to be careful what yyou eat and I always find out where the bathrooms are when I get to a new place. If there's no bathroom I get nervous. And nerves makes it worse.

At least its not chrons. My friend has it. She finallly found a knowledgeable dr who could help her with it. IBS is nothing compared to chrons.

On the date front....art shows and theater would be perfect, as long as there's a pottyy nearby :)

• Author
nightbird101
Why?

hah...never had those things cross my mind (for some unknown reason). Though I do plan on taking her to see 'The lion king musical' since we're both into theater. I'll see how the 2 of us go after our first date slash meet up.

I've just recently (8 months ago) came out of a 7 year relationship so I'm a bit rusty at this :p

deathandtaxes

OP, if the onus is all on YOU to pick all the activities for the both of you, there is something wrong with this relationship.

I think it is great that you are giving this woman a chance. I feel we all have medical issues of some sort. If not sooner or later we will.

That said planning dates is going to require you communicating with her. Meal dates are typically my favorite. It's a great setting to talk and actually get to know the person.

That said you might try a picnic lunch in which you each bring your own. This will allow her to bring food that doesn't up set her stomach and give the two of you a chance to talk.

You're going to have to think out side the box. But keep in mind as you get to know her the IBS will become less of an issue then it is now. You'll learn her limitations and what her needs are and so on. That will make it a lot easier.

I also suggest you google IBS and get some understanding of it.

OP, if the onus is all on YOU to pick all the activities for the both of you, there is something wrong with this relationship.

He just met her, and they're going on a date. I don't think it's a relationship. Yet.

I do admire people who think and plan ahead tho!

• Author
nightbird101
I think it is great that you are giving this woman a chance. I feel we all have medical issues of some sort. If not sooner or later we will.

I'm glad she told me she had IBS because last thing I want to do is organised something that will only make her feel embarrassed. Spoke to her a bit and found out we have more in common that I had expected.

already we've planned multiple dates. I do hope we'll get to know each other more and hopefully lead to something fun and special. but only time will tell ;)

*side note*

6ish months ago I found this site after a 7 year relationship came to a close. this forum has done me wonders in regards to my relationship life so thank you :)

• Like 1