Should all single girls look their best to attract a guy and get dates?

Lipitor11

In the dating world, don't you all agree that "looks" or attraction will always be the first thing that will be a deciding factor on whether they want to strike up a conversation with them and possibly land a few dates? I'm starting to think that whenever I go out in public, whether it be to the store, market, park, that I should always look my best and never leave the house without make-up because I will never know if there is going to be a guy on the look-out. Isn't it true that the only reason why a guy is interested in talking to a girl is because they thought she was "cute?" I was reading this guys facebook post on how he saw a cute girl at the farmers market and he decided to strike up a conversation...and it made me think that I must be ugly, because all those times that I went out in public places where there were guys, no guys would ever strike up a conversation with me for anything. And I'm talking about dating sites, I'm talking about real life. Do I need more sex appeal? Because looking like plain jane, isn't getting me anywhere.

Versacehottie

yes, yes, yes! For the reasons you listed as well as for your own self esteem. The momentum starts with you. Looking good shows others you care about yourself which translates into high self-worth, which translates into high worth (perceived) and draws others to you.

You should want to give yourself every opportunity. I don't believe you are plain but if that's how you are feeling, it's one of the easiest to fix. You can do it!

• Like 2
  • Author

I meant to say that I'm NOT talking about dating sites...those don't count..but just talking about meeting someone in the real world.

I'm actually going to say just be yourself. When you feel like putting in the effort to look extra good - go ahead and do that. When you feel like just wearing jeans and a hoodie - go ahead and do that. Different guys are attracted to different "looks" so being yourself will never be the wrong thing to do.

Remember you're not just looking for guys to be attracted - you're looking for the right types of guys (i.e. the ones that like a woman like you) to be attracted.

For what it's worth, I avoid women that look like they put a lot of effort into their appearance. It just makes them look like they're high maintenance, which is not the type of woman I'd want to date. I tend to like women that are down to earth, but again, that's just my particular preference...

• Like 6

I like to look my best but there are days when I step out of my house for an errand and don't feel that I'm looking all that great and I'll still get chatted up to my surprise...

One evening in fact I stepped outside of the apartment I was living in at the time, it was on a fairly busy main road, and I was just popping around to the side of the building to throw out the garbage. I was in house clothes, no makeup, hair wasn't combed, nothing...as I'm walking back from the garbage alley back to the front of the building a man approaches me, tells me good evening, tells me he had to say I'm beautiful and if I had a boyfriend. I was SHOCKED! I mean...this seemed like the most unflattering time ever. Looking frumpy and emerging from a garbage alley yet I still got hit on...:laugh: so in my mind, while looking cute is definitely important, one can be approached at anytime and you never know what someone else will see or like about you.

Cute is subjective and some guys like "plain janes." So if makeup isn't your thing I don't think you should go out wearing it all the time to land a man. Be the best version of you you can be but I wouldn't go out in false eyelashes, full makeup and the works if that isn't my style. Look your best especially if it makes you feel good as that may help but it's certainly not all.

Your best? No, that's ridiculous. Dressed to the nines when you go to Home Depot to get mulch or to McD's for a SnackWrap? No, I don't think so. You probably hurt your chances in some environments.

Appropriately presentable is just fine.

• Like 3

You don't have to spend an hour getting ready every time you leave the house, but it's good to make an effort to be attractive. Make-up would be last on my list for a woman, unless the occasion calls for it like going dancing.

Still, you can:

have a nice hair cut

wear fashionable clothes

take showers

exercise regularly

make healthy food choices

get plenty of sleep

Those things make you look attractive without ever needing to spend 5 minutes on make-up.

• Like 2

I know that this subject is different for men and women.

If you feel a little out of it as a woman, and want to feel better, definately dress up a little bit and change your style up.

-It'll give you a confidence boost, and thats whats most important.

Its a round-about way of getting that confidence, but you still get there. I'm all for it

Supernatural
Your best? No, that's ridiculous. Dressed to the nines when you go to Home Depot to get mulch or to McD's for a SnackWrap? No, I don't think so. You probably hurt your chances in some environments.

Appropriately presentable is just fine.

Lmao! That made me laugh pretty hard. Hahah!

---------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, you just need to care about yourself (eat well, exercise, shower, smell nice), smile, and enjoy the present moment. All the stuff on dressing well is so external and boring. It's how a person is that makes someone want to approach.

If you're so concerned about ALWAYS being approached, and that's your only objective to inflate your ego, then sure, go dress to the nine's 24/7 like you're Kim Kardashian. Although, have fun becoming SUPER self conscious and SUPER high maintenance and SUPER conceited.

Do what you want, dress how you want, act how you want. Don't dress for what you think others want or live your life because of that.

I have always found that casual me gets approached far more than dressed up me.

I don't wear much make up, just a little foundation and mascara and maybe a touch of eyeliner. I don't even 'do' my hair. It's curly so hates the blow dryer so most times when I go out it's still drying. I have even been approached when it's still sopping wet! Lol!

Clothes wise though a pair of combats and a t-shirt gets more approaches than a dress ever does.

I get compliments from women (straight women and I am straight too) more when I wear dresses than I do from men.

What men wear has actually been acknowledged (by psychologists) as more important than what women wear in terms of attraction.

• Like 1
Supernatural

Just be who you are. Eventually that guy, if it gets serious... Will see that you don't always dress up 24/7 and it was only a hook to impress men initially. And he will be like... "wth? you used to dress so nice.."

So unless it's not already your preferred style...

It's like girls who go to party central street where I live. They all wear short dresses, high heels, and caked make-up, with perfect hair. Hours spent to get ready, probably 3.

I'm floored by the girl who wore jeans, is naturally beautiful, thoughtful, goofy, with very little make-up, flats/comfy shoes/edgy boots, with her hair in a tight pony tale or bed head. Who played xbox/drinking games with the guys rather than curled her hair with her girl friends before partying.

Because on days she dresses up in a dress with 3 hours spent on prep, she would look like an angel. Dressing up, unless it's your job is just a scam to get guys, and that to me isn't real.

Focusing so much on look is EXHAUSTING! Believe me 100%. I used to male model (lame profession and so shallow, I know) and you get trapped in a world of ALWAYS knowing what you look like which feels like Sh*t.

Dress your personaliy, with layers and color. Focus more on having fun.

Life is suppose to be an adventure and fun. Not just looking good.

• Like 1
Supernatural
I have always found that casual me gets approached far more than dressed up me.

I don't wear much make up, just a little foundation and mascara and maybe a touch of eyeliner. I don't even 'do' my hair. It's curly so hates the blow dryer so most times when I go out it's still drying. I have even been approached when it's still sopping wet! Lol!

Clothes wise though a pair of combats and a t-shirt gets more approaches than a dress ever does.

I get compliments from women (straight women and I am straight too) more when I wear dresses than I do from men.

What men wear has actually been acknowledged (by psychologists) as more important than what women wear in terms of attraction.

I think I just posted about what you are.

Combat boots, jeans and a vintage tee, with messy hair... Sweet baby Jesus.

• Like 1
Ruby Slippers

Anytime I'm single and ready to mingle, I make the effort to dress a notch or two up from what I could to get by. I met a new friend for dinner at a casual restaurant tonight, and wore a cute top, skirt, sandals, a bit of jewelry, and a touch of makeup. Didn't take long to get ready, but my appearance was put-together and feminine. Even if I'm not planning to meet anyone, the looks and flirts are nice - and you just never know when you might meet someone amazing :cool:

• Like 1

Yes and yes. Yes you should put some effort in your appearance as it does pay dividends in terms of attracting men. But also out effort into your appearance so that you have confidence. A woman who owns her appearance and radiates confidence is a very attractive thing. I know personally I've approached women in their post workout attire (and sweat) because they radiated some sort of confident beauty while ignoring women dressed to the nines but obviously uncomfortable with their appearance.

Overall - I guess the most important advice I could give any woman or guy for that matter is to get in shape and become physically active. That doesn't mean become a gym rat. Rather, just running or Pilates or even yoga a few times a week boosts confidence and that intangible attraction about them.

• Like 2

Sexiness is not in your clothes, it's in your attitude. If you feel sexy wearing a burlap bag, you will act sexy and that will attract looks.

I only wear a peach lipstick and mascara. I never paint my face. I look my best at my natural. When I buy clothes I make sure they advantage my shape even if it's just a t-shirt. When I get out of the house whether I am in a dress with heels or in jeans and t-shirt I will feel sexy. Last time a man hit on me in a public place it was on a Friday, it was casual day at office, I was dressed in a jeans and t-shirt, no make-up.

I must admit I got a thing about my hair though. Every day is a good hair day for me. It's a must.

Just be yourself. Some women get approached when they first wake up in the morning and walk to the corner store for some coffee. Men are not as shallow as some women think.

• Like 1
isisisweeping

I don't know. I get approached in public and I never wear makeup or dress up.

I always look my worst when I'm single and best in relationship because when I'm in a relationship there's someone I want to make as happy as possible, and I'm happy, and it all shows :)

I don't think you have to look your best all the time. As someone pointed out heels & skirt look pretty out of place in Home Depot. When I grocery shop after work I get looks -- not good ones -- when I am in heels. The looks are more from women & they seem to say "are you nuts?"

You should look put together: neat, clean, appropriate for what you are doing. If your goal is to attract more attention through your physical appearance a little eye liner, mascara & a light lip gloss can do wonders. But you don't have to have the same smokey eyes & heavy make up you would wear at night or for a special occasion.

I think I just posted about what you are.

Combat boots, jeans and a vintage tee, with messy hair... Sweet baby Jesus.

I had a typical one today.

I have some neck/back problems just now and have to move and do stretches.

Today I am in chunky trainers (sneakers for the US folks) combats and a zip up grey hoodie (size age 13 from H&M) so fitted (me being 45).

I stretched while walking home...elbow up..tricep stretch....my hoodie is waist length and it rose up...I'm 45 and in pain so I don't give a wibble! Nothing showed except for 3-6in of my tum. Nothing rude/provocative.

Some guy in an estate agents office saw me....I got a guy running after me and giving me his colleagues number tonight..! :laugh:

• Like 1
Lernaean_Hydra

I get approached when I’m wearing yoga pants and a dingy tee, however I think yes, if a woman is looking to be approached of course she should always be well groomed and nicely put together. If single and looking you should always put your best foot forward but even if you finally find someone, it’s never a bad idea to continue taking care with your appearance.

Personally, I’m very particular about my looks. If I’m going out for more than a drugstore or grocery run my hair, nails and makeup are always done and my clothes are flattering and stylish because that is how I feel the most confident. I don’t mumble when I speak, I smile more and am much more conversational. My whole attitude is different.

I’m not high maintenance in the least and it’s really sad to hear that women like me are perceived as such these days by some. Thankfully, the men who’ve known me in my life have often expressed admiration for how I present myself; even just the little things, like changing my nail color a few times a week or switching up perfumes.

If a woman is actively looking to date she should definitely be making sure all her bases are covered.

deathandtaxes

As a guy, I would say for the ladies - at least look like you care about yourself. That means different things to different people. So it's whatever works for you, ideally. You want a guy to appreciate you, not all the enhancements you can make that really don't represent you. If make-up is your deal, run with it - if not, don't. My ex-wife was a non makeup wearing lady, and she was beautiful. I've dated women that loved the stuff, and women that didn't. And I thought they were all gorgeous - to me at least!

One interesting fashion note - and I'm not going to complain - is the rise of the sporty casual look for most everyday things that women do. I'm talking the yoga pants and/or other workout style clothing. I see it a LOT where I live. Out shopping. In the grocery store. Wherever! Who doesn't love spandex and yoga pants!? But as a guy, the only time I wear that stuff grocery shopping, is when I hit the grocer store on the way home from the gym or dance class.

Edited by deathandtaxes
grammar

I may be in the minority, but I feel that both men and women need to be true to themselves, first and foremost. The right gal/guy will love you for you. Being healthy, mind and body will help you and your potential mate find each other. Good luck.

As a guy, I would say for the ladies - at least look like you care about yourself.
o

This ^^

I would say this for anyone, male or female.

I did get a lot of grief on a forum years ago for saying I went out with wet hair though.

I was informed that it means I cannot look after myself...:laugh:

• Like 1

Keeping in mind that viewed through most men's eyes, looking your best doesn't necessarily mean dressing formally or anything. You have one girl who is a 6 dressed to the nines and made up and a 9 who has on running clothes, the 9 will still be more noticed. Where I live, blonds are at a premium, and I've always noticed while out to lunch or at the mall that the pretty blonds are mostly without makeup and wearing sweats and didn't bother with their hair, it's up in a ponytail. And they're still considered the top tier around here and on a Saturday night at a good restaurant, date night, it will be mostly blonds. It's really so shallow.

That said, it's best not to get caught looking like hell if your natural appearance is greatly enhanced by makeup as mine is. And really, for clothes, all you have to do if you're of an average or better size is just not wear baggy clothes and maybe show a tiny bit of flesh somewhere.