Physical affection affects my mood - anyone else?

CanyonWall

I have a particular problem in my life - my mood is directly affected by how much affection I've got recently. I'm not sure when this started happening (I'm 50), but when I get physical affection from a woman (kissing and cuddling), for about 2 weeks my mood is fine, then within another two weeks, my mood has dropped noticeably. I'm curious about whether anyone else has this issue (I've never read about it anywhere) and also if you happen to know the medical term if it exists. Thanks.

Probably the movement of oxytocin in your system. I think it roughly takes for it a couple of weeks to subside.

Hi Canyonwall,

My friend is a massage therapist & she says that in todays society w/so many interactions being on the 'net, people are "starved for touch". I guess she means that we really need physical contact with someone as part of a healthy life?

They've done studies that find that very elderly people living alone but have a pet do better than those w/no pet, so I guess any interaction w/a warm living presence can help?

I'm the stereotypical single woman w/2 cats so I guess until I find a SO, I'll just have to make do w/petting them everyday to raise my oxytocin levels?

• Like 1
I have a particular problem in my life - my mood is directly affected by how much affection I've got recently. I'm not sure when this started happening (I'm 50), but when I get physical affection from a woman (kissing and cuddling), for about 2 weeks my mood is fine, then within another two weeks, my mood has dropped noticeably. I'm curious about whether anyone else has this issue (I've never read about it anywhere) and also if you happen to know the medical term if it exists. Thanks.

OP to be fair, I'm pretty sure its not just physical affection.

If I gave you $1000 dollars, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy for the day, or if you get in some kind of unfortunate accident, I'm pretty sure youd be angry, even if you just had some physical affection.

If all of this that I just said is absolutely incorrect, you may want to see a therapist about this, because it sounds totally uncommon