Asked this girl out, but I don't know whether she is single

ramboparrot

ramboparrot

Met a girl at work and I've been getting the signs such as asking me questions about my interests, always approaching me to talk and taking unnecessary detours down aisles where I am working. I've caught her looking at me, smiling at me, when I tease her, she'll repeat my words then add a reply as a comeback to my teasing. Sometimes she will give me the squinting "i'm on to you" eyes. In general, she reacts well to my teasing/complimenting/flirting.

When I got her by herself at work, I told her "Are you free this weekend? Wondering if you would like to see a film with me or something?". She replied "Yeah, sure" with a smile, but she looked quite shy as she said it. She told me she would be working until 4pm on Saturday and that I should message her the details over Facebook which went:

Me: You can pick the film, I'll pick the time. Unfortunately, watching 300 is out of the question.. Unless you can hassle them into re-releasing it in cinemas by Saturday? (she's been teasing me all week because I haven't watched it)

Her: Hahaha somehow I don't think they'll do that!

Me: Which film would you like to see?

Her: I'm not bothered, is there anything you fancy?

Then I sent her the film name, time and location.

Her: Yeah that sounds great!

Reasons I'm unsure...

My work mate (who has been following/flirting with this girl's twin sister at work) showed me a long conversation they had on 1st July as he was telling her about problems with his ex. She responded with stuff like "If my boyfriend did that I wouldn't know what to do" and "Looks like we're probably breaking up due to moving to different universities" or on the lines of that..

The problem I have is seeing this reply to him, despite it being over three weeks ago.

Her Facebook relationship status says "single" and she has not mentioned a boyfriend at all to me, or hinted it since we started speaking. Now I could have tested to see if she has one and see if she denies, but there was a limited time I had to speak to her at work.

Would going out with me to watch a film suggest she is single? Could she have possibly given the "boyfriend" story to my work mate because she knows he's interested in her sister/not interested in him?

Edited by ramboparrot

Unless you have compelling proof she is in a relationship, you can take the fact that she accepted your date as an indication she is free to go out with you.

Digging into her relationship status behind her back is not a productive move.

• Like 4

Agree with TXGuy. Go out to the movie with her and have a good time. Just don't fall head over heels for her right off the bat. Get to know her. Not because she might have a boyfriend, but because that's always the smart thing to do.

Time will tell whether she is juggling two guys or is a liar/user.

Right now, it seems like she is into you and just wants to go out with you.

• Like 2

Social networking surely leads to unnecessary paranoia these days and many ruined relationships. (Stop being a FaceBook creeper!)

Anywho, her response was generalized for the sake of advice. She is basically saying in that situation, if she had a boyfriend, she wouldn't know what to do!

Edited by Javelin

Dont talk yourself out of spending time with a chick youre attracted to man.

In this case, dont "question" yourself out of it.

Go along with it, you dont ned to find out jack. Just enoy your time

• Like 1

How about this, don't worry about it. It's not your responsibility if she fails to tell you. But I agree with the others if she accepts going out with you, she's most likely single.

If she does have a BF, throw a hump into her and dump her ass.

• Like 1
  • Author
ramboparrot

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to go ahead with it "assuming" she's single, because she may well be.

I was talking to a work mate about it, but I was keeping my voice fairly quiet and whilst having my back to the entrance whilst stood halfway down the aisle, she ended up walking past in her casual wear with her little brother. Luckily, I stopped talking about it when my work mate signaled she was approaching but he told me I was speaking that quiet, he was finding it hard to hear me anyway.

I think that was a sign for me to quit talking about it as at the time I was worried she might have heard me, but at that point of conversation I could have been talking about anything. Still, it shows that I'm starting to become a little invested in her and I need to pull back from that, start to relax and just see it as a fun time. If it doesn't work out then whatever!

Wasn't able to acknowledge her due to my back facing her, but my work mate noticed she seemed to be nervously smiling s she walked past. From my view, she seemed to have a bit of speed to her walk..

Anyway, I'm going to tell her to meet at 6 instead of 8 if she's in work tomorrow as I don't want her going home in the dark.

Edited by ramboparrot

To make things easier on yourself, always assume a girl is single until she tells you otherwise.

• Author
ramboparrot
To make things easier on yourself, always assume a girl is single until she tells you otherwise.

Good advice, thanks. When I step up the flirting, I usually get the whole "My boyfriend likes that/does that" etc if they are taken. Had none of this with this current girl. Is it possible she could have thrown the boyfriend excuse towards one of my work mates because she wasn't interested/knew he likes her twin sister anyway?

what if she said yes to a film as a friend?!!!

how wud we as a guy know this??

he makes a move on her and she freaks out and she gets weird and looks at him like wtf

• Author
ramboparrot

he makes a move on her and she freaks out and she gets weird and looks at him like wtf

This is what I am wondering. What if she perceived my invite to be a friendly outing instead of a date?

EDIT: Actually, I'm going to base it on the advice above and assume it is a date. I'll certainly know from her body language by the end of it if she is interested.

Edited by ramboparrot
  • Like 1

Umm...

"Are you free this weekend? Wondering if you would like to see a film with me or something?". She replied "Yeah, sure" with a smile, but she looked quite shy as she said it.

She digs you, dude. Or as the UK guys say, she fancies you, mate.

You aren't going to make a move as soon as you pick her up. You'll sit by her in the movie. You'll talk after. You'll get a feel for whether she is vibing with you or not.

When you are deciding whether to make a move, always get in her space first. People have a "bubble" of personal space around them. If you get close to her and she reciprocates or stays, you are good to go. If you get close, and she backs away to maintain her bubble, then she isn't feeling it or isn't ready.

She said yes to your invite. Always assume attraction unless otherwise stated.

I never care if she thinks that I am her friend. I move to the point where she overtly states the fact and then deal with it.

It's not up to you to decipher what the hell her intentions are. You act accordingly in a "romantic" manner until she either allows it to progress or shuts you down.

Stop analyzing this in-depth. Just go to the movies and act like a guy who likes a girl.