Guys at work encouraging me to be fresh to girls at work

NYC-BigKat

I just cant do it! I just started last week & I'm trying my best to learn this job so I can be as good as I can & now they paired me up with these 2 guys on a IT assignment or something & today they was acting so fresh to 3 of the girls working at the site & encouraging me to join them. I don't want to! Why are they acting like this all of a sudden? Um.. they also had me take a 2 hr lunch break with them & they all talk really fresh stuff about girls body parts & who they wanna have sex with & when I didn't say much they ask if I'm gay but they used the bad word I wont say here. One other guy pulled a girl on his lap & kept her there for a long time talking to her. I'm getting scared now. I don't know what to do. I thought this was a good company but now not so sure with these things going on & no mgr around:(.

Don't join in. Not only is it unethical, it's illegal, and can get you fired or involved in a sexual harassment lawsuit. Don't let them bait you into doing what you know is wrong, don't encourage them, and don't confront them. If you can avoid them, do so. If any of these women seem uncomfortable - or if YOU are uncomfortable - talk to human resources and file a formal complaint. You are protected, but be cautious about doing so (if you do so) as you may still have to work with these fools.

Does the company require ethics and sexual harassment training? If so, you may learn that you are required to report this behavior to HR, and failing to do so could have consequences. If they do not provide such training, they aren't that great a company, but you will simply have to be careful.

Edited by central
  • Like 3
I just cant do it! I just started last week & I'm trying my best to learn this job so I can be as good as I can & now they paired me up with these 2 guys on a IT assignment or something & today they was acting so fresh to 3 of the girls working at the site & encouraging me to join them. I don't want to! Why are they acting like this all of a sudden? Um.. they also had me take a 2 hr lunch break with them & they all talk really fresh stuff about girls body parts & who they wanna have sex with & when I didn't say much they ask if I'm gay but they used the bad word I wont say here. One other guy pulled a girl on his lap & kept her there for a long time talking to her. I'm getting scared now. I don't know what to do. I thought this was a good company but now not so sure with these things going on & no mgr around:(.

You can lose your job over a sexual harassment complaint, for one.

Second, you don't feel comfortable with it, report it. I believe anything that has to do with sexual harassment really isn't "snitching". If we were talking about them taking two cigarette breaks instead of one, fine.. but that's not it at all.

Take this stuff seriously.

• Author
Don't join in. Not only is it unethical, it's illegal, and can get you fired or involved in a sexual harassment lawsuit. Don't let them bait you into doing what you know is wrong, don't encourage them, and don't confront them. If you can avoid them, do so. If any of these women seem uncomfortable - or if YOU are uncomfortable - talk to human resources and file a formal complaint. You are protected, but be cautious about doing so (if you do so) as you may still have to work with these fools.

Does the company require ethics and sexual harassment training? If so, you may learn that you are required to report this behavior to HR, and failing to do so could have consequences. If they do not provide such training, they aren't that great a company, but you will simply have to be careful.

In orientation the man said we have sexual harassment laws but he never went into it & no one seemed to care :(. I was so so scared sitting there & these guys were acting like this. I was worried about mgmt coming in to catch us & we was on lunch break for 2 hrs when they said only 1 hr lunch break. The mgr in my division just told me to pair up with them 'cause the 2 guys have 15 yrs together on the job & how great they are teaching but I didn't learn a whole lot & had to teach myself & they kept worrying bout those girls so much its really really crazy u know. I wont say anything but I wont join either. I got in trouble in last jobs for bothering girls.

littleplanet
In orientation the man said we have sexual harassment laws but he never went into it & no one seemed to care :(. I was so so scared sitting there & these guys were acting like this. I was worried about mgmt coming in to catch us & we was on lunch break for 2 hrs when they said only 1 hr lunch break. The mgr in my division just told me to pair up with them 'cause the 2 guys have 15 yrs together on the job & how great they are teaching but I didn't learn a whole lot & had to teach myself & they kept worrying bout those girls so much its really really crazy u know. I wont say anything but I wont join either. I got in trouble in last jobs for bothering girls.

Relax.

Follow the moral code that fits you.

No-one is holding a gun to your head to change it.

You'll probably have to deal with fools and morons like this in the workplace for a long time.

If they are your trainers - then you're stuck with them (but not forever.)

Your last worry should have to be over-anxiety about breaking some correct code of conduct. You know you're not breaking anything.

Beyond all that - sure.....if it makes sense to voice your concerns to a competent HR person, then do so.

I work in a university library. Our code of conduct is as long as an elephant's trunk. I find it the most relaxed working atmosphere on earth.

And yet there are landmines galore all around.

The trick is to ignore them - because you know you're doing nothing wrong.

It is possible for anyone to misinterpret your words or actions.....but the code works both ways. It is also there to protect you.

So be yourself.

Remember - there is nothing in your job description that says you have to agree with mysogeny.

Your job description also doesn't require you to strap on knight's shining army to defend a lady's honor, either.

(Chances are, she can do that little job quite nicely for herself!) :D

So just disagree with the lowly swine and hormonal hell-hounds.

Leave them to their own misery as best you can.

Carry on..........

• Like 1

Don't do it, young man.

I learned that lesson at a young age on my first job. I was standing with a group of five guys at work. A female co-worker walked by and one of the guys made a crude comment to her. The comment was crude, but funny and the rest of us laughed. The next day when we went to work all of us were called to the manager's office one by one and sent home. We were told she had filed a sexual harassment complaint against all of us and we were suspended with pay until an investigation was complete. If the investigation showed we were guilty, then we would be fired. I was lucky to get my job back. The guy who made the comment, not so much.

Your co-workers are not smart. That's a sexual harassment complaint waiting to happen.

• Author
Don't do it, young man.

I learned that lesson at a young age on my first job. I was standing with a group of five guys at work. A female co-worker walked by and one of the guys made a crude comment to her. The comment was crude, but funny and the rest of us laughed. The next day when we went to work all of us were called to the manager's office one by one and sent home. We were told she had filed a sexual harassment complaint against all of us and we were suspended with pay until an investigation was complete. If the investigation showed we were guilty, then we would be fired. I was lucky to get my job back. The guy who made the comment, not so much.

Your co-workers are not smart. That's a sexual harassment complaint waiting to happen.

Uh...I guess but the girls are laughing & stuff & one was on the guy's lap so I doubt anything will go wrong. They been there 15 yrs together so um I think they'r gonna be okay u know. How did u get suspended with pay? I thought u get no pay? Weird :o.

• Author
They want to laugh at you making a fool of yourself. Just do your job well and go home everyday.

Yea I kinda figured they wanna use me for kicks or something u know :(.

Yea I kinda figured they wanna use me for kicks or something u know :(.

Be careful. Remember your last job. They're trying to taunt you into doing something you shouldn't. How juvenile.

• Author
Be careful. Remember your last job. They're trying to taunt you into doing something you shouldn't. How juvenile.

Do u think they wanna mess me up? Do u think they don't really like me 'cause I'm nice & they wanna test me to see if I fire myself? Why does this keep happening to me?!

Do u think they wanna mess me up? Do u think they don't really like me 'cause I'm nice & they wanna test me to see if I fire myself? Why does this keep happening to me?!

I don't know if they're doing it deliberately, Kat. I really don't. Just try to keep your head down and do your work.

I know you're nice. Obviously, people are picking up on something with you. Just lay low, you finally got this job. :)

Well, it doesn't matter what work policy is, they can't call you the f word legally.