Falling too fast for the guy I'm dating

I met a guy about 5 weeks ago. Due to work and other things, we can only meet up once per week, occasionally twice. So all together, we've met up about 7 or 8 times. We usually go out, have fun, then stay one of us will stay at the other's place. We started having sex pretty much straight away, however, we've both told each other that we're not just in it for the sex (we has this conversation a few weeks ago).

The problem now is that I feel like I'm falling for him already. I say it's a problem because to me, it seems far too fast. Actually, I'm sure to most people it seems far too fast.

I've never had this before. It's not that I'm unhappy being single, I've actually been enjoying single life. I've been going out lots with friends, as well as dating guys and just generally having fun. But with him, it's different. I hate the thought of him dating other girls. I miss him when I'm not with him. When we haven't arranged the next date yet, I'm worried that he won't be in touch. Basically, I'm usually a strong and confident woman, and this guy has turned me into weak and nervous wreck! :p (Although I am very careful not to let him know this!).

What's going on?! How do I stop feeling like this? It's only been just over a month and we haven't seen each other enough for these feelings to be justified. A part of me wants to stop seeing him now as it's almost too much. I feel like if I carry on, my feelings are going to get stronger and I'm just going to get hurt. What do I do?!

Thanks

Edited by JZH
  • Like 1
I met a guy about 5 weeks ago. Due to work and other things, we can only meet up once per week, occasionally twice. So all together, we've met up about 7 or 8 times. We usually go out, have fun, then stay one of us will stay at the other's place. We started having sex pretty much straight away, however, we've both told each other that we're not just in it for the sex (we has this conversation a few weeks ago).

The problem now is that I feel like I'm falling for him already. I say it's a problem because to me, it seems far too fast. Actually, I'm sure to most people it seems far too fast.

I've never had this before. It's not that I'm unhappy being single, I've actually been enjoying single life. I've been going out lots with friends, as well as dating guys and just generally having fun. But with him, it's different. I hate the thought of him dating other girls. I miss him when I'm not with him. When we haven't arranged the next date yet, I'm worried that he won't be in touch. Basically, I'm usually a strong and confident woman, and this guy has turned me into weak and nervous wreck! :p (Although I am very careful not to let him know this!).

So, you're having sex but you're not exclusive? Maybe it's time for the exclusivity talk. That will either tell you that he's nowhere close to being on the same page as you, or that it is ok to have feelings.

• Like 5

When you start feeling that way it's time to have <the talk>. It's not unusual to feel the way you do after 6-7 weeks. You are aware you're investing time and feelings here so you want to make sure you are both on the same page. I personally have 'the talk' after 5-6 dates. I feel after 5-6 dates it's enough to know if we want to pursue with just seeing each other.

• Like 3

You don't stop the feelings but you remain committed to listening to your head rather than your heart.

You do speak with him about exclusivity & you watch to make sure you don't see any read flags.

Other than that . . . enjoy falling in love. It's one of the best feelings in the world.

• Like 5
hasaquestion

What's going on?! How do I stop feeling like this? It's only been just over a month and we haven't seen each other enough for these feelings to be justified. A part of me wants to stop seeing him now as it's almost too much. I feel like if I carry on, my feelings are going to get stronger and I'm just going to get hurt. What do I do?!

Thanks

How many partners have you had? Is having sex with this guy a big deal to you, or is it just another person on the list?

The way people associate feelings with sex is different for everyone.

• Author

Thanks for the replies. Guess I do need to talk to him about exclusivity then! Was just worried because I thought it was too soon and didn't want to push for something too fast and it scare him off, as I'd be thinking 'if only I'd have waited a bit longer'. But I think I'll talk to him about it. Thanks :)

• Like 1
  • Author
How many partners have you had? Is having sex with this guy a big deal to you, or is it just another person on the list?

The way people associate feelings with sex is different for everyone.

I've had 4 (I'm 25). I knew I wanted more than just sex a week or two into it, so I talked to him about it. He said he felt the same, and liked me and really enjoyed being with me.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I do need to talk to him about exclusivity then! Was just worried because I thought it was too soon and didn't want to push for something too fast and it scare him off, as I'd be thinking 'if only I'd have waited a bit longer'. But I think I'll talk to him about it. Thanks :)

There is no set time to talk about exclusivity, it's all about what YOU are comfortable with. Some people don't mind waiting 3 months and even 6 months, some people like me think 1 month or 5-6 dates is plenty.

If a guy is into you there is very little you can do to turn him off. If the talk about just seeing each other chases him away it would have chased him away in 2-3 months too. Being exclusive is not a marriage, if it doesn't work out you split and go your merry way.

• Like 4
hasaquestion
I've had 4 (I'm 25). I knew I wanted more than just sex a week or two into it, so I talked to him about it. He said he felt the same, and liked me and really enjoyed being with me.

Okay. Then sex is important to you, if you're 25 and haven't had much of it. That's all well and good. Do you think he really likes you for more than the sex though? That's where having sex soon can backfire. What kinds of things has he done to impress you?

• Author
Okay. Then sex is important to you, if you're 25 and haven't had much of it. That's all well and good. Do you think he really likes you for more than the sex though? That's where having sex soon can backfire. What kinds of things has he done to impress you?

Guess it is. Have been in 2 long term relationships, one lasting 5 years, the other lasting a year, so I'm very inexperienced when it comes to dating. I do believe him (possibly naively) when he says he likes me more than just for sex. In terms of what he's done to impress me, what kind of thing do you mean?

There's nothing you can do to stop it, but from my personal experience, do NOT tell him you love him (first). For some reason this scares men off, even if it's a compliment.

If you suspect he is dating/sleeping with other women, you need to have that exclusivity talk. For me, that talk is unnecessary because actions speak louder than words, and sleeping together implies exclusivity in my book. Unfortunately there are a lot of immature selfish guys out there who play dumb, thinking that they can legitimately cheat as long as there is no exclusivity talk.

OP: You are moving way too fast. At 5 weeks you hardly know each other. You have only seen each other 7-8 times. That is not enough time to decide where your relationship is headed. Right now it's all about physical sex, and you probably don't fully understand each other. This takes time.

I think you should have that exclusive talk tonight, and set some boundaries. This is long overdue. If you don't have a clear understanding on whether you two are on the same page, then it's damn important to communicate before sleeping together again. Sex is important to you, so don't give it to someone who may just be playing you. I hope he is sincere and doesn't play dumb.

• Like 1
There's nothing you can do to stop it, but from my personal experience, do NOT tell him you love him (first). For some reason this scares men off, even if it's a compliment.

The "LOVE" word only scares off immature, selfish, commitment-phobes who can't decide what they want. Until recently, men have always embraced the expression of love from a woman. Somehow modern society has turned this beautiful word into something that some men would fear. Makes no sense. A real decent man who wants you would definitely appreciate your words of LOVE. If you genuinely feel it, then say it. If he can't accept it, he's not ready for you. There are so many man-childs these days who are not ready for love. They just want to **** a woman, and move on to the next. For some reason they get worse the older they get. Such a shame.

• Like 4
  • Author

Yep, you're right guys. I'm gonna do it. I'm seeing him at the weekend, soI'll ask him then. If it scares him away, then this thing's not worth my time anyway! ... (Still nervous though! :p )

• Like 3
travelbug1996

If I were you I wouldnt have "the talk". It scares the SugerHoneyIceTea out of men. I would slow things down.Waaay down. He will feel the vibe and slow down or bring up exclusivity on his own. Which is the way it should be. Exclusivity should be the mans idea. They like to be in control of who they end up in a r with

• Like 1
  • Author
If I were you I wouldnt have "the talk". It scares the SugerHoneyIceTea out of men. I would slow things down.Waaay down. He will feel the vibe and slow down or bring up exclusivity on his own. Which is the way it should be. Exclusivity should be the mans idea. They like to be in control of who they end up in a r with

Aw man, this was my original thought! But loads have told me otherwise. Thanks for the input :) but now I'm confused, haha!

Aw man, this was my original thought! But loads have told me otherwise. Thanks for the input :) but now I'm confused, haha!

Think about it, would you want a man who is scared of love, and runs for the hills when you express your loving emotions? NO!!! Any man who is afraid of commitment and love is NOT worth your time! If you feel you should be exclusive and be in a loving relationship, you should have every right to make sure he is on the same page. If he is turned off by this after sleeping with you, then he is scum, and you should be glad to move on.

• Like 6
travelbug1996

He knows she wants an exclusive relationship. STOP having sex with him. Women talk too much. Let your actions speak for you.

Men don't understand words. They understand silence.

He knows she wants an exclusive relationship. STOP having sex with him. Women talk too much. Let your actions speak for you.

Men don't understand words. They understand silence.

Those are cave men, not real men. Real men understand words just fine. Some of us can even speak them fairly well.

• Like 6
travelbug1996
Those are cave men, not real men. Real men understand words just fine. Some of us can even speak them fairly well.

lol point taken

There is no set time to talk about exclusivity, it's all about what YOU are comfortable with. Some people don't mind waiting 3 months and even 6 months, some people like me think 1 month or 5-6 dates is plenty.

If a guy is into you there is very little you can do to turn him off. If the talk about just seeing each other chases him away it would have chased him away in 2-3 months too. Being exclusive is not a marriage, if it doesn't work out you split and go your merry way.

^^This.^^ A thousand times this!

• Like 2
Think about it, would you want a man who is scared of love, and runs for the hills when you express your loving emotions? NO!!! Any man who is afraid of commitment and love is NOT worth your time! If you feel you should be exclusive and be in a loving relationship, you should have every right to make sure he is on the same page. If he is turned off by this after sleeping with you, then he is scum, and you should be glad to move on.

^^This!^^ A thousand times this!

• Like 2
The "LOVE" word only scares off immature, selfish, commitment-phobes who can't decide what they want.

I disagree. I would be frightened or feel uncomfortable if someone I barely knew told me they loved me, or if I didn't love them back. I am a mature human being and I want to commit but it takes time to get to know someone.

• Author
I disagree. I would be frightened or feel uncomfortable if someone I barely knew told me they loved me, or if I didn't love them back. I am a mature human being and I want to commit but it takes time to get to know someone.

I'm not going to tell him I love him, haha. Just maybe talk to him about whether he's dating/ sleeping with other people, and let him know that I'm not comfortable with carrying on with him if he is.

• Like 5