Dating/Relationships and No TV

How big of a role does the television play in dating, steady relationships, and marriages? Do any of you not watch any TV (together)?

Thanks

In all of my relationships TV shows and movies were very common for me in a relationship.

I am a big movie watcher and id like my partner to be as well.

I say in the past there were many same liked genre of shows and movies and it makes living together easy and can be a good thing to bond on.

Don't think I could be with someone who didn't watch tv.

I could see outdoorsy types that like to do things like hike never really have tv in their relationship.

I don't have a telly and don't have internet connection at home. I don't enjoy passive entertainment, it bores me. My last ex wanted to watch stuff with me and that was possible at his house but I prefer to go to the cinema rather than sit at home. Generally speaking, if he wants to chill in front of a film, I'll read a book next to him or something.

aussietigerwolf
I don't have a telly and don't have internet connection at home. I don't enjoy passive entertainment, it bores me. My last ex wanted to watch stuff with me and that was possible at his house but I prefer to go to the cinema rather than sit at home. Generally speaking, if he wants to chill in front of a film, I'll read a book next to him or something.

Sooo.... You're on this site at work then?

Sooo.... You're on this site at work then?

Yes. I'd never spend my evenings here. Or rarely, anyway.

How big of a role does the television play in dating, steady relationships, and marriages? Do any of you not watch any TV (together)?

Thanks

Funny this was brought up. I recall a dating profile from a woman who said, "If you're into pop culture references, we probably wouldn't be a good match. Not sure quite what she meant, but she said she was more into museums, art galleries, traveling, etc. Kind of the artsy fartsy type. Not the type to be "at the ready" for the next "Game of Thrones" or "Breaking Bad" episode on TV.

Never did realize if something like this would be a buzzkill, but it can be, esp. if you make any kind of well known pop culture reference

"What? You never saw Star Wars?!" lol

scorpiogirl

I watch a lot of tv when I'm alone. It's how I relax after a long day at work. However, with a partner at home or on a date, I think the worst way to spend time is sitting next to each other looking at a screen.

I find it odd too when invited to dinner at friends' homes and they'll put on a movie instead of talking.

Many times, due to where I live, the people I date live far away and our time together is limited so the last thing I want to do is watch something.

When boyfriend and I are together the tv is on in the background but we rarely sit there to watch a show. In 6 weeks dating we watched a movie once. None of us follow any series either. Sometimes we put something on and we talk and talk and we miss all of it.

WrinkledForehead

It doesn't. I don't own a tv, and he doesn't watch his (even by himself). I'd say we've watched a movie or a Netflix together maybe two dozen times in the year we've been together. We are both super busy people so the time we spend together is usually spent engaging with one another.

We don't have a TV. We do watch shows online together though, maybe once a week or so. It's kinda like going to the movies, except it's free, you can sit around wearing barely anything, pause if someone needs the bathroom, and make out as much as you like. :p

• Like 1
Ninjainpajamas

Nothing wrong with watching TV or a movie once in a while, but personally don't watch a lot of TV at all. And I don't understand people who don't have a TV at all, sometimes I watch to catch a Football game or something and I don't want to sit on the computer to see it.

I'm not into TV series at all, with the exception of "Game of Thrones" which was pretty good but not addicting, it just had better acting than is typical, TV series just seem over the top and unbelievable for me, I can't get into them at all.

Reality TV is at times a guilty pleasure, probably why I find LS entertaining. Otherwise watching a movie or documentary is more realistic for myself, but I won't sit there for hours on end watching.

Luckily in Los Angeles there's a lot of amusements parks, city fairs, concerts, festivals, the beach, a billion different places to eat/drink, mountains to go skiing on not terribly far away or you can just drive out to a different city, take a boat out to Catalina island, go wine tasting if that's your thing. Sometimes I'll just go on the motorcycle to clear my head, I like being in my own little world sometimes.

My biggest gripe out here is that the traffic sucks and the insane amount of people everywhere you go all of the time, and I don't like to go out to eat or drink just for fun all the time, that gets old and often makes you fat, so sometimes or even often times staying in and relaxing is the best option, and there's always sex...just throwing it out there.

My ex was pretty much addicted to TV. Every single night she would get home, have a drink with me and a smoke. We would chat briefly about the day and then we would go inside and the TV would come on. She insisted on eating dinner in front of the TV every single night. She was happy to share the TV, she would encourage me to watch 'my shows' and would watch with me.

Not once in the year we lived together did we ever eat at the dinner table together and actually make conversation over the meal.

My opinion: TV kills relationships unless it is done in moderation.

I don't have a TV. Ditched it years ago while a student in college.

If I had one, I know end up watching lots of stupid garbage... Yes, I'm a recovered TV addict and I really don't want one around. I admit it.

Not only that, I really don't need the images and marketing that tend to make people insecure about who they are or what they have (or don't have)... passive TV watching has been shown to be bad for the brain and lead to obesity. Studies have shown that your brain is more active when you are sleeping than when you are watching TV.

Last but not least... when I am with someone (friend, partner, relative)... I want to be actively engaging with them.... most of the time.

Under The Radar

I have to admit the only threesome I've ever had involved a girl and a television set. Now, if I can only find a way to add a barbell ...... a foursome may be in the future - LOL.

Before my FI and I moved in together, I didn't have a TV. We now have one, but we don't have cable; we have Netflix though and have started watching some shows in the evening. I never thought I'd get into watching TV shows, but I enjoy it.

I like our TV cuddle time on the couch at night. The shows we watch give us a mutual interest and something to discuss.

We watch one show every other night or so, so I don't feel like we're addicted. It's how we wind down at night. Often we just go to the bedroom and read or do other things instead. ;) Moderation is key.

• Like 1

I'm rubbish at watching TV. When dating we had movie nights but never sat in front of TV. I watch a bit more now than I used to, but they're specific, sky-plussed things we watch, at our convenience, together and perhaps with my son also.

Hubby has a range of things he watches when I'm not around. Or when I'm there but working.

I like to watch a lot of sport on the telly everything from football to NASCAR to the world ten pin bowling championships. My fiancée tends to just read next to me while i'm doing that!

But that said we probably watch more telly together now, the babies tend to both not settle for anything but being held between abut 9 - 11pm, and we tend to give them both a bottle then and.. to get to my point (finally!) tend to both be too zonked by then but to do anything but watch some series we've recorded or (normally) stick on the friends boxset.

Would I be bothered if I was with someone who didn't have a TV/refused to watch telly..........err, yeah probably would bother me a little in the end - couldn't even really put my finger on why, guess its just part of my lifestyle, it keeps you up to date with what your family/friends/colleagues are chatting about, guess its just culture

Sometimes I feel like tv plays a huge role in my relationship. The tv is always on. My boyfriend and I use to do a lot together and not we are home most of the time, watching tv. Sometimes priorities change, my boyfriend is trying to buy a house so he wants to save up more. Because of this, we tend to stay in more.

Thanks

It doesn't play any role really in my relationship.

We don't live together but when we are together tv is never really a huge factor. We have our shows that we watch, The Walking Dead and Scandal that we'll watch mostly online (if we don't end up just talking through it or having sex instead lol), esp at my place where I don't have tv.

So we do watch things together sometimes but it's on the computer usually where we have to consciously choose to watch it and tv itself isn't a big part of our relationship. I think tv was bigger in my last relationship or just movie watching, but in this one, not so much.

Edited by MissBee
Under The Radar

Relationships where the other person needs the TV on, as background noise to fall asleep, are not my "cup of tea" ...... these people exist ...... I assure you.