Next Move?

Csmith224422

Csmith224422

I met this girl recently. Her and I are both recently single. We exchanged numbers. While I was talking to her, I mentioned how I was looking to make a career change and actually go to school on the weekends to potentially make that move. (I work as a lawyer but want to become a doctor and take medical school pre-reqs on the weekends).

She asked me why I want to make the change and I jokingly said that she would have to read my personal statement (the statement I used to apply to the pre-req program) to understand why. And she asked me to send it to her. Which comes across as weird to me for some reason. Anyway, we've texted back and forth and she asked me for my personal statement again.

Any idea why she would do that? I want to ask her out to dinner but am kind of shy. How do I approach this?

Maybe she wants to learn more about you. I would take it as a good sign she is interested. If you're uncomfortable sharing it because it's too personal or something, just say so. Say you didn't think it through when you joked about her reading it.

Maybe you could say that your personal statement is not something you felt comfortable sharing with others yet, but you could tell her more about your ambitions over dinner if she'd like to join you.

PS Law school AND med school? I hope you have lots of money to pay back that student loan debt. :)

• Author
Csmith224422

I paid off my student debt for law school a year ago. I'm doing this program while working as a lawyer and saving up. I'll only do it if I get a decent scholarship!

• Like 1

She asked because you suggested it rather than answering her question directly. Agree with suggesting you discuss your motivation over dinner. At this point, I would bring your personal statement. You volunteered it. It's really not that big a deal. A bunch of strangers on various Admissions Committees have already read it. She can be one more reader.

...She asked me why I want to make the change and I jokingly said that she would have to read my personal statement...And she asked me to send it to her...

Any idea why she would do that? I want to ask her out to dinner but am kind of shy. How do I approach this?

• Like 2
  • Author
Csmith224422

Ugh - asked her out. When we were talking for an hour when I met her she told me that she never had Thai food and I suggested that she try it.

So I text her and say "hey been thinking about that Thai place I told you about, want to check it out"

She says "I don't like Thai food"

What the? Wants to read my personal statement but then tells me she doesn't like a cuisine she never tried? Weird no?

It is kinda weird. Did you offer another suggestion? Maybe saying "That's cool, but I'd still like to meet up sometime. Interested in trying ___ instead?"

She could be giving you the blow off, which yeah I think is weird, but hard to know for sure.

I wouldn't read into her saying she doesn't like thai food TOO much

Ask her what type of food she likes and go eat that with her.

That way you can see whats up by her reaction.

• Author
Csmith224422

Yeah - I just responded with "Well - what do you like to eat"

No response - so I deleted her from my phone book. No point in wasting my time. She can text me if she wants.

• Like 1