Exclusive relationship-how long should you wait?

Firehead94

Ok so I met this girl through a mutual friend last week. We already went a huge date today. It was very romantic. We both like each other for sure. And we are going on like 2 more dates later this week. I cant wait till she becomes my girlfriend! When should I ask her? Since we only met last week I was thinking it might be too fast now... Some people say wait months but we both know we like each other and we are VERY comfortable with each other. So yea whens a good time?

This is a really good question I'm wondering about myself.

On one hand it really depends on the relationship you've forged with the girl, and where it is at and where it is going. On the other hand it has to take into account your own confidence that the girl feels the same way as you.

If she is just playing around with you you don't want to be exclusive because having another iron in the fire will soften the blow if she moves on. If you two are totally into eachother then you wont really have time for others so you are de-facto exclusive anyways.

Why ask anything at all???

I dont even know why this is necessary.

Is she seeing other people too, or do you just want to lock her down?

ExpatInItaly

Slow down, OP! I know you are excited and really like her, but think about it: you hardly know her. You've known each for a few days. Give this time and let it develop naturally, and make sure she really feels the same way about you. Heck, you might even discover after a few dates that you're not into it. If I had just met a guy I would be put off by a rush into exclusivity, even if I liked him too. Don't put that kind of pressure on her or yourself. Have a few dates, get to know each other. How old are both of you, if you don't mind me asking? How much relationship experience do you have?

Whoah, calm down sparky.....you barely know this girl.

I understand what you're feeling......its completely normal when you meet someone you like. Sparks, chemistry, attraction...... its infaturation. Take some time to get to know this girl. If you both truly like eacother theres no need to rush.

My ex wanted to wait months before labelling us.

He just wasn't into me in that way, I later found out.

My current boyfriend asked me to be exclusive/in a relationship with him a few days after our fist date; we had a 6 hour date and we had previously communicated online for a couple of weeks prior to meeting.

He is smitten with me and is truly in love, unlike my ex....

My friend met a guy who was head over heels for her; he wanted a relationship right off the bat because he couldn't imagine wanting to "try other girls out" since she was on his mind so much...

Whoah, calm down sparky.....you barely know this girl.

I understand what you're feeling......its completely normal when you meet someone you like. Sparks, chemistry, attraction...... its infaturation. Take some time to get to know this girl. If you both truly like eacother theres no need to rush.

There is also no need to see other people, either, if you are smitten with the one person.

There is also no need to see other people, either, if you are smitten with the one person.

Absolutely.... agree with you 100%. I'm all for exclusivity..... I just feel that OP is trying to go from 0 to 100 in 60 seconds being that they just met last week and havent had the benefit of talking for a couple weeks or so before the first date like many do with OLD.

Absolutely.... agree with you 100%. I'm all for exclusivity..... I just feel that OP is trying to go from 0 to 100 in 60 seconds being that they just met last week and havent had the benefit of talking for a couple weeks or so before the first date like many do with OLD.

I guess it was easy for me since my bf made it very clear how he felt about me. He took a risk I suppose, since he ran the risk of rejection; which is very much the nature of online dating, since many are looking for fun or want to date around a lot before settling on one person.

Enjoy your upcoming dates and don't worry about the nature of your relationship.

After date 3 evaluate the situation and decide if you want only her.

The younger you are the earlier you can ask.

If you are over 30 wait a few more dates or you will seem too anxious.

To the poster who wondered why ask at all, if you don't ask, it's best to assume you are NOT exclusive & that both parties are free to date others. Some people won't have sex outside of a monogamous relationship so it's best to know where you stand.

• Author
Enjoy your upcoming dates and don't worry about the nature of your relationship.

After date 3 evaluate the situation and decide if you want only her.

Thank you! This is probably what Im going to do. And btw, Im 19 guys