the exclusivity talk

blackpajamas

blackpajamas

Looking for some opinions here.

When is the ideal time to have this talk?

I'm currently dating a girl, we have a history, had a summer fling.

Now we are dating, been dating since the week before Christmas.

We have been intimate.

Should I have it soon, or wait?

Just wondering, because I'm not interested in seeing other people and I think I'd be wasting my time if she was.

MixedUpChick

If you're not interested in seeing other people & are hoping she's not either, you should probably say something to her. It doesn't have to be a heavy conversation, as I see it you can do it one of two ways:

1) "Hey I was just wondering if you're seeing anyone else besides me?" Then you somehow segue into some variation of #2 below.

or

2) "Hey I just want you to know, I'm happy with how things are going for us right now & I'm not interested in dating anyone else." If you started off with this approach instead of #1, then how she responds will direct the conversation from there.

Otherwise you can always wait but if you think you'd be wasting your time if she's seeing other people, you might as well find out. Again, since you guys have really only been dating for a few weeks, I wouldn't make a huge issue of it, you're just trying to get a little info. & let her know you're not interested in dating others. Just make sure not to get upset if she is dating other people, because you guys have only been dating for a few weeks.

Edited by MixedUpChick
  • Like 1
Frank2thepoint

#2 of what MixedUpChick mentioned is a good choice. Also ask what she is thinking about the relationship to see if you guys are on the same page.

For me there is no intimacy before that talk. Some people assume that sex = exclusivity. They often get hurt.

Since you are already intimate, I'd make the talk playful. In the afterglow, snuggle her close & confirm this makes her your GF.

deathandtaxes

OP - the ideal time is up to you. It's when you want to have an exclusive relationship. There is not right time. Just the right time for you. If you think it's right, bring it up.