The cashier girl in the grocery store

Don't

There is a store that I go every week and sometimes I encounter this cute checkout girl. First time i met her was a couple months ago and She was at the express check out. There was a guy in front of me with maybe 30 items or so and she looked kinda frustrated and when my turn came I started the conversation " long day eh? " She was like yea and we started to talk, but I don't remember the rest of the convo. it was pretty much casual and fun too. Actually in the end I literally told her I wish I could stay longer and talk to her but i said anyway take care and left. I have been going to her her line every week for the past three weeks. First she commented that I picked the right time because it wasn't busy. Once I told her that I was an electrical engineer and the week after she remembered that. I asked her about her school. I told her currently I am done with school and looking for jobs. Then again a week after she remembers that too she is like how is life without school? I asked her where she is from. She answered and she mentioned about how crappy it is. She smiles too. Last encounter which was this week I was almost going to make a move but I chickened out, because I thought maybe it is too soon and I don't want to put her in awkward situation. I have seen her talking to a guy in front of me too. At some point I heard her asking him a question, but don't know what it was about? It was just casual conversation though. I think next week I will ask her out for a coffee. How do I know that she is interested in me? I feel like since I am a regular she is just trying to have a nice conversation with me that's all. I know I would never know unless I ask her. I have never asked a cashier girl out before though. Has anyone had any similar experience? Should I wait more and having small chat with her once in every week or ask her next week before I go crazy? I want to gain her trust, but I want to make a move too. I can't talk to her a lot because there are other people on the line too. Let's say she said no, should I go to her line next time as if nothing happened? I am pretty sure that she is aware the fact that I go to her line every week around same time. She should get the sign, but what kind of sign should I expect from her? It is her job to be nice and talkative, but remembering past conversations from the previous week?

Edited by Don't

Here's my point of view as a long-serving checkout chick: It's entirely possible that she's interested in you, but equally likely that she's just being friendly and professional. The main thing to remember is that she's in her professional environment and most likely she isn't expecting to be chatted up, so she may not be receptive (not because she doesn't like you, but because her mind is on her job). Don't be too disheartened, though - just because she has to be friendly as part of her job doesn't mean she isn't genuine. So by all means go ahead and take that risk but don't be too hurt if she says no.

• Like 2
haribogumsnickers

Go in the store and pick up a greeting card. Get a happy bday card and write inside simply, hi you're awesome, your number? Then do the boxed yes, no, and the last one hell no.

Tell her after you pay it to read it.

Hi, i have a lot of experience getting check out girls lol!

Yeah, next time your in there, drop her a note with your number on it and ask her to text you if she wants to get a coffee together!

Its much easier that way. Saves you the awkward part of asking her for her number when you got people queuing behind you.

If you dont get a text you have your answer. She should text you though!

• Like 2

You can ask. How you do that is up to you. I'm not too keen on the check a box thing; very grade school. But there is a country song about it so it must work for somebody.

If she says no, the next week go to a different line. Work your way back to her line but after that vary the lines you use so she has physical evidence that you are now treating her just like every other checkout person with no hard feelings.

If you play it cool but polite afterwards, the awkward will disappear after a few weeks.

Fingers crossed that she says yes.

Just go there and buy condiments. I go through katsup like crazy. I put that stuff on everything and when I say I put that stuff on, I mean I drown it@!

"Hey, would you like some X( whatever food) with your katsup?" I hear that all the time. It is so new everytime I hear it. And when I say new, I mean, not new.

So I go to the store and get just a bottle of katsup a lot. It's not just because I don't have the foresight to buy it in mass quantities, it's because if I did, then I would have to put it somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having a lot of things stored and just waiting for me, I just don't like giving up space to store it.

So anyway, girls at the checkout counter a lot of times think I am there for them when I go in to get just a bottle of katsup. I have even hooked up with 4 of them because they go, "Just here for some condiments huh?" Wink wink......(they don't actually wink, it's just the way they say it and the big smile). I think buying just condiments is code for 'I want a blowjob'. Something like that.

The only time I remember what I said back to the girl was when I was completely and totally blind sided and there was a bunch of people behind me in line waiting. I couldn't believe she called me out like that with all these people around lol. I was like.....wtf man! I told her I was going to bar-b-que later and drink some beers, it'd be nice if she joined me. Unfortunaely that was after I blurbbed out some stupid **** about...'katsup is good and I really like it'. I was immediately embarrassed after I said that. 'Katsup is good and I really like it'????? OMG, really??? Dumbass!! Sometimes I am about as smooth as a cheese grater

But she wrote her number on the receipt and we went out that day and bar-b-qued at the lake and had a pretty good time talking.

• Like 1

Just ask her if she would like to meet up for coffee. If she say yes, then your in luck. If you get a face full of pepper spray, then I guess the answer is no. (Just kidding) Seriously she's either going to say yes or no. Honestly I hope she says yes, so good luck.

• Like 1

All you can do is ask...there is no harm in that. I was the "grocery guy" for years. Routinely had girls want to go out. I happened to have a family at the time...so never took any up on their offer. I am now an electrician, haven't worked in the grocery store for years...and still have people recognize me as Safeway Frank...lol.

Just realize that she may be already taken...it, however, doesn't hurt to ask.

• Author

So I went there unfortunately she wasn't there. I usually go there once a week same day. I don't know If I should try my luck tomorrow and the after tomorrow until I see her. I don't know if I can wait till next Tuesday but going everyday feels like I am stalking her. Challenges of being a guy sometimes.

lifeunderground
Careful going there too much. Better get the gull next time you see her or else you are stalking her.

Idk I work at Starbucks and regulars come in at the same time practically everyday.

She probably doesn't notice to be honest.

I wouldn't go back the next day. I also like donnivain's tip and leaving your number with a note and making it seem you have to rush to get out because people are waiting anxiously to buy their marshmallows or cereal. One last thing, show some restraint and don't become infatuated with her. Good luck!

• Like 1
georgecostanza

I've never approached one directly, because I'm always very conscious that they're working and have to be nice, and of how awkward it could make things next time I'm in the shop. Three times, though, I've been approached. Once by a checkout girl and the other two by barmaids (one just this weeked :p ) So I guess my advice is that if she likes you, she will let you know.

• Author

Ok, I will go there today or tomorrow. If she is not there I will try my luck next week then. I should have asked her last time I saw her, because I would have known her answer by now not regretting for not taking action but anyways there is always next time.

I also like donnivain's tip and leaving your number with a note and making it seem you have to rush to get out because people are waiting anxiously to buy their marshmallows or cereal. !

I said NOT to do that . . . it's childish & wierd. Adults talk to each other. Grade school children do the check a box thing.

Handing her a paper with your phone # would OK if she was very busy & there was a line.

• Author

I went there today and again she wasn't working, but I found her Facebook. Apparently we have a mutual friend, but I don't even talk to this mutual friend on Facebook. I managed to find her based on the stuff she told me like where she is originally from and the school she goes. I know it sounds stalkerish, but i wanted to know if this person has a boyfriend. I wish I could see her one more time, so I could introduce myself and everything would be resolved. What should I do? Maybe it is time to throw the towel eh!

Edited by Don't
I said NOT to do that . . . it's childish & wierd. Adults talk to each other. Grade school children do the check a box thing.

Handing her a paper with your phone # would OK if she was very busy & there was a line.

I am very sarcastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Author
Hey I read all your posts. I was wondering if you still go on here and curious about your situation?

I haven't checked back for a long time haha. As for the cashier girl, I haven't seen her no more, she must be somewhere in the city.

• Author

Recent update: Today I went to the store and she was there, but not at cash registrar. I saw her there after 4 months. She was with the cart walking around doing some inventory check or soemthing I don't know. First, I ignored her, because i felt awkward; last month I found her on fb and decided to add her so I could speak to her even thoug I shouldn't. She didn't accept my request, maybe she didn't recognized me, so I cancelled the request after a while. I saw her again after the check out and I similed and aksed hey how are you? She said fine, I am called by costumer service. I was going to ask more but since she was busy I said ok have a nice weekend, I walked away. Maybe she hasn't recognized me after months since I looked like a dork with my hair and the scruff who knows. But yea I wasn't expecting to see her there after so long.

I'm invested in this story.

Next time just go for it. Then you won't have to wonder and I (and anyone else who followed this thread) won't have to wonder either. :)

Just bite the bullet. "Hey.. Um, would you like to go get coffee sometime?" would be perfect. Yes? You're in. No? Then it just goes back to checkout/customer relationship. No big deal. Nothing to lose.

I really hope you ask her out. I really hope she says yes. Please keep us updated. I've replaced reality TV with this forum and your thread is one of the few cute optimistic ones I've found.

This economy is really putting a damper on guy's abilities to hit on store employees. The one I'm after is down to 6 hours a week but last time I saw her she told me where else I could find her. :p Probably a good sign.

Anyway, best to move onto the next when you get a sign like that. Plenty of cashiers in the sea.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Author

Yesterday I went to the grocery store she was there and it was my turn, we had small talk while she was scanning my items. I asked her about how her summer was and btw she remembered me which was good. I realized she looked tired and asked about her day she told me she was getting off work in 15 min, then I asked her for a coffee after work which was like around 10pm. She said she had some school work to do but see you around though. Even tough it was a clear rejection I was glad that I had the guts to ask her out. I don't think I should see her again since It would be awkward next time she sees me; I still find her pretty. ;)