Tinder dating app

henderson14

Its the "dating" app for smart phones. Do you like it? Is it better than OK Cupid and other sites? Its an interesting app for sure.

• Author

I had a friend tell me his friend has slept with 3 girls off there. You just use it late at night around all the bars (chicago) and they will meet you out at the bars and it eventually ends in sex.

• Like 1
I had a friend tell me his friend has slept with 3 girls off there. You just use it late at night around all the bars (chicago) and they will meet you out at the bars and it eventually ends in sex.

He must be extremely good looking or extremely good at text-chat.

I've tried it, and yeah, it's definitely a good app if you're reasonably attractive and looking for a hookup. Not saying that you can't find anything substantial there, but as a female seeking males, most guys there are looking for something very casual.

Others still are just use the app for an ego boost. They want to see how many "likes" they get, but don't actually intend to meet/chat with anyone. Nothing wrong with that, but it's something to be aware of.

Regardless, there are WAY more hot guys there than on OKC!

Depends on where you are. Where I live it's kind of dead, but up in NYC it was basically free pickings lol.

There's a lot of spammers on Tinder. You can tell when it says their 1 mile away, and 10 seconds later it's 2000 miles. I would say keep an eye on that when messaging.

• 4 weeks later...

Signed up yesterday....

I am VERY surprised at how many attractive women are using this app, compared to the trash that is on the actual dating sites in my area.

Maybe online dating is already starting to die off and people are progressing to the apps? The apps are a condensed version of online dating profiles. So I guess it feeds the "instant gratification" that society wants nowadays.

I have had more women "like" my pics and show interest in me on this app in a 24hr period, than I have in the past month or so on a dating site.

More proof that dating sites are mostly overloaded with losers, trash, and catfish.

• 2 months later...

I've been using the Tinder app recently. If I expand the search criteria to 100 miles, I get an avg of 5-8 new women a day to view. But if I limit the search area to within 25mi, I get nothing.

This ties into my previous experiences with dating sites. I live in NE Ohio, an hour between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I don't understand why locally there are almost no women using any dating sites or dating apps, yet when I expand my search to metro areas, there are women all over???

I live in a suburb of 40,000....with easily another 75,000 within 25 mi of me. What is so different with the mindset of women in suburbia, that they don't use dating sites or apps, compared to women in metro areas that do use them?

Are they women in my area just embarrassed about someone seeing them on there...whereas the metro women embrace it as just another option to find a guy?

I get the feeling many of the women in my area are close minded, resisting change, living in the past, vs women outside this area seem to be much more open minded.

• Like 1
letsplaygofish2

I tried the Tinder app for a few days, but did not have any success. I'm a relatively attractive 36 year old woman and a few men "liked" my profile, but nothing happened. I've done online dating and can say that there aren't that many people that I would actually want to date.

I changed my friendship strategy (I'm not interested in dating now) to be one that is more in-person. Basically that means that I am going to local events, going to yoga, church and am making friends the old fashioned way.

What you give into your life is what you get. So if you keep hiding behind an app, that's probably what you'll get :)

What you give into your life is what you get. So if you keep hiding behind an app, that's probably what you'll get :)

That's not 100% true. There's plenty of people that use dating tools and go on lots of dates.

There's also plenty of people that put little effort into dating and other things in life, and get rewarded 10-fold.

I understand what you are saying, but those cute sayings that people like to use are easily dismissed with knowledge and reality. They just sound good at the time, and people rarely give it any thought.

Location location location is the number one ingredient to dating sites and apps.

letsplaygofish2

Believe what you want to believe. You asked a question and I gave you am answer. Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for. I live in Los Angeles and there are plenty of unqualified people on dating sites. Far too many if you ask me. Location isn't everything.

Good luck!

It worked for me haha. Tip for tinder, nobody uses it for dating...only hooking up or "meeting new people".

You have to give it time to refresh. After you change the distance, let it be for a while then check it again. Also, its not going to give you everybody the first time you do it. There will be no way the app is still going if everyone meets everyone (or browses their profile) on the first try.

Believe what you want to believe. You asked a question and I gave you am answer. Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for. I live in Los Angeles and there are plenty of unqualified people on dating sites. Far too many if you ask me. Location isn't everything.

Good luck!

Yes....you are correct. There are many, many unqualified potentials on dating sites. But when you have that many unqualified people, it also raises the odds of finding one that IS qualified.

Living in a suburb of NE Ohio as I said....when I do a search for women between 35-45, within a 20 mile radius....I usually get less than 30 results. And almost 20 of those women have been on the site for 2 years or more(habitual online daters that will never find someone) so realistically, 10 or so women are at the ready.

Compare my results to a large metro area.....when I search Cleveland or Pittsburgh. The same search nets on avg about 100 women. And I'm sure out in LA the results got to be way higher.

I am not saying that there arent idiots online.....we all know there are. But location in my opinion is the #1 ingredient to finding success. It gives you more diversity and chances.

Its late and I'm distracting myself studying for finals, woot lol; and I'm just curious whats everyone's opinion on that social media. I personally don't use it, just because i find it a little too creepy, but what are your stories if you have used it?

• 3 weeks later...

Tinder seems to have become a social activity now. I was in a bar, and there was a bunch of guys at a table - rowdy, football fans, drinking lots of beer, you know the type - and the topic was their Tinder swiping. Like a card game, everyone was really boisterous and vocal about it. A couple of the guys would get matches on the spot and yell LOUDLY about their success.

Meanwhile, I'm at a nearby table eating dinner, embarrassed about sneaking a peek at my device for my results. Which I think says it all...

• Like 1

Yep, joined last weekend. 35 matches in the first 3 days. First date was Wednesday, was fun but not a good fit. Second date (diff guy) was supposed to be Friday but he flaked. Third one is Tuesday. I haven't swiped for more matches in a few days.

Being a girl in a big city is key to this thing working. We had a lot of fun on New Year's Eve playing with it.

• Like 1

Pyramid, I seem to do much better the closer to the city I search. I've had a few fun chats, but so far no followup. :(

Bigcitydreamer

Yes and I still have no idea what it is! What is is?? Is it an OLD app or a hookup app? I had a match for every person I liked and I found the guys ways cuter than OLD and they were pretty aggressive in messaging too. I assumed it was for hookups or something.

Pyramid, I seem to do much better the closer to the city I search. I've had a few fun chats, but so far no followup. :(

It's ideal to try and get the chats to be real time rather than delayed responses. These guys all asked me out at the end of the first chat session.

Yes and I still have no idea what it is! What is is?? Is it an OLD app or a hookup app? I had a match for every person I liked and I found the guys ways cuter than OLD and they were pretty aggressive in messaging too. I assumed it was for hookups or something.

From what I hear, it used to be more for hookups, but now is more legit. None of these 3 guys were looking for hookups. You can put in your little profile blurb that you're looking for LTR.