Men that work in the family business?

yaoming11

Philosoraptor

I can't see this being looked at in a negative light. Not only do you have a good family relationship to work there, but it may become your business one day if it gets passed down to you.

acrosstheuniverse

It can work both ways.

Pros: could be passed down to you, you're likely to be well looked after, more opportunity for promotion and advancement. Far greater a degree of job security.

Cons: maybe it was just handed to you on a plate, maybe it wasn't worked hard for, maybe you slack off all day long and can get away with it cos it's your parents' company... maybe it isn't a passion or the place you really want to be, maybe you felt forced into it.

• Like 1

Business can be a loosely applied term. Often it's a fact for newly minted physicians, lawyers, dentists, ..other professional practices.

bubbaganoosh

I was part of my Fathers business. I took over after he suffered a heart attack and at that time met a girl who would be my wife. She had a good job and at the time I had my ideas about how I wanted to take the business and my dad wasn't real happy about it because he still had some input. My wife never let me forget that at the time she made more than me and at the same time I was getting a earful from my dad.

Gotta tell you that it wasn't fun to get it from both sides. Finally I told my dad in a polite way that if he wanted his business back, he could take it and I would go work someplace else and I told my wife that either shut up or leave because I can't take it any longer.

Both got the message finally and I did it my way. My business took off and was making much more than my wife and my dad finally accepted the fact that he had to sit in the co pilots chair. None the less it wasn't fun. My dad was worried that I would ruin what he had built and in a way I can understand his concerns. My wife quit work and we had our child and she never had to worry about money but was unsatisfied because I had long hours. The marriage failed after 10 years but I kept going for 35 years. So to sum it up. There are good points and bad like anything else. I have nor regrets and would do it over again. The business wasn't handed to me, I bought it and I am grateful to my dad for his advice which was really needed. I don't think that a woman would look at it in a negative way.