LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

GOD, CHURCH, RELIGION- Does it Matter In Dating, Mate Choosing & Sustaining Relation

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2013, 2:39 PM   #1

GOD, CHURCH, RELIGION- Does it Matter In Dating, Mate Choosing & Sustaining Relation

ok, god, religion, and church. many people say you have to have come relationship, but this has been proven wrong with the LGBT and many mates doing well without such.

I going to be brief and wonder, does god, religion, and church matter in dating or would you go with one that was educated, high income, sexy and attractive, great personality and nice, and everything else but not into this
richwhitegirlsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 2:49 PM   #2
Established Member

Morality over-rules religion in my book.

Personally, I would take the two evenly, I'm not very judgmental when it comes to most things. If the two were identical in every respect except for personal beliefs, it would make no difference.

If the former was lacking all of the qualities the latter had, on paper, the latter would likely be a smarter choice. However, if the former displayed those same qualities, it would be an even match, and would come down to strictly matters of the heart.

Overall, I don't personally take much into account with love, if I love someone, that's that, as long as they're not utterly mad, it really doesn't matter what they believe in, or how much money they do or don't have.
Old 28th March 2013, 2:57 PM   #3

well, going to church, bible or holy book study, prayer,and all that are part of some folks households. I mentioned LGBT because the church does not accept their practices and while they are religious, its called sin. A relationship without god, religion, and church must still have some moral and ethics base and this hasd not been indentified. where do such morals come from. we just live each day presuming we know whats right and wrong. but if you live by religion, the codes are too strict and take away all the fun and free time. Its oppressive, BUT CAN YOU HAVE A SUCCESSFUL RELATIONSHIP without god
Old 28th March 2013, 2:57 PM   #4
Established Member

Of course the LGBT community also have religious folks. They "interpret" scriptures like the non-LGBT community- according to their view of the world.

I consider myself, Non-Religious, but Spiritual, but have dated ladies who claim to be christian. Is religion important, yes for those who need it to be.
soccerrprp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 3:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrprp View Post
Of course the LGBT community also have religious folks. They "interpret" scriptures like the non-LGBT community- according to their view of the world.

I consider myself, Non-Religious, but Spiritual, but have dated ladies who claim to be christian. Is religion important, yes for those who need it to be.
well 2 women and men can be together in a relationship But if sex is a big part of the formula, THE SINS AGAINST THE BIBLE or any religion is huge. no religion accepts sexual penetration between same sex and most LGBT won't sustain without it. thus, they can be religious, but I am not sure what way. Thus, these groups are complaining of their relationship rights be taken away by those who feel religion comes first in dating and should be out abive their dating interests
Old 28th March 2013, 3:20 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwhitegirlsingle View Post
well 2 women and men can be together in a relationship But if sex is a big part of the formula, THE SINS AGAINST THE BIBLE or any religion is huge. no religion accepts sexual penetration between same sex and most LGBT won't sustain without it. thus, they can be religious, but I am not sure what way. Thus, these groups are complaining of their relationship rights be taken away by those who feel religion comes first in dating and should be out abive their dating interests
You don't see the SINS AGAINST THE BIBLE among religious people? It happens every day. There's just not an interest group that openly publicizes that particular lifestyle.

Many, many forms that the sins come in....many.
Old 28th March 2013, 3:21 PM   #7

well, the question was, what relevance does religion have in dating. is it more about qualifications and character of the mate or absence of such and their religious values. would date someone not saved or even atheist
Old 28th March 2013, 3:26 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
well, the question was, what relevance does religion have in dating. is it more about qualifications and character of the mate or absence of such and their religious values. would date someone not saved or even atheist
I would think that, generally, like attracts like. That generally the non-religious are for the most part attracted to non-religious, and the same for religious folks.

Not universal, of course. My wife is religious, and I'm kind of lukewarm on the whole thing. But that can be a stressor in a relationship.

But honestly, I'm not sure I've answered your question, or even what your question is, specifically.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 3:35 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Plenty of religious organizations have found a way to justify same sex relations no matter how most people interpret the holy books. There was the prime example of a Protestant reverend who left his wife to live with his male lover and was then made a Bishop by his organization.

Yes faith does matter your activity or lack there of may qualify or disqualify you in the eyes of another. It depends on your location whether faith in general or a specific group will hurt or help.
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 3:40 PM   #10
Established Member

I agree with gorilla. Not too certain what the question is, but here I go.

Everyone wants to find someone who meets their values system. People who use religion as a way to predict and gauge said values, do so. I live in Texas and most claim to be religious and christian. Do they divorce any less? No. Do people around here cheat any less? No. People use prerequisites based on what comforts them.

Some people are "convinced" that you can't be moral, ethical if you're not religious. So, they select only religious people. Some to the point of precluding even other religious, christian denominations that don't ultimately fit their own political leanings.

The non-religious tend to look at the religious with as much suspicion. Only seeing hypocrisy and intolerance. So the non-religious tend to avoid the religious.
Old 28th March 2013, 4:08 PM   #11

is religion necessary. do you fear any bad luck dating someone who is atheist or not saved or even LGBT
Old 28th March 2013, 4:14 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
is religion necessary. do you fear any bad luck dating someone who is atheist or not saved or even LGBT
No, I do not.
iKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 4:19 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Well, if you're asking me personally, i'd say NO to both. There are studies that seem to show that truly committed religious couples stay in marriages more than the general population. But that has everything to do with the stigma placed on divorce and doesn't necessarily mean that they are happier.

In the end, for me, it's about commitment and dedication, plain and simple. Some people need a religious context to achieve this and others don't..
Old 28th March 2013, 4:39 PM   #14

would you change your religious values if it would help your date or is confident where you are
Old 28th March 2013, 4:43 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
would you change your religious values if it would help your date or is confident where you are
If I am willing to tolerate (and to some extent, understand) other's belief systems, I expect the same in return.

If they do not wish to do so, we're likely not going to get very far in the first place.
iKING is offline   Reply With Quote