Meeting girls in places other than bars

Mr_Flay

...or what PUA types call the DAY GAME. I've noticed that people always recommend others to go to bars/clubs and pick up girls. I think bars are not conducive to a good conversation, and I especially hate clubs. The loud noise, strobe lights, a crowd of people pushing, cigarette smoke...I call them gang rape for the senses. So I'm interested to know how you people meet people in other venues: the street, libraries, theatre, gym, swimming pool, park, anywhere.

I've met several people like that in my life, both male and female. Here are two examples:

1. I was riding a tram when I noticed a young woman being hit on by an old creep. She brushed him off politely, but the man kept complimenting her eyes and hair. Finally he gave up and got off the tram. I said something about the situation which made her laugh and we talked briefly. Unfortunately, she was on her way to meet up with her boyfriend, so I didn't ask her for her number.
  2. I saw a guy in a train with a Kindle e-reader, and since I'm interested in getting one for myself, I asked him a few questions about its features and performance. We also moved to other topics, and in the end exchanged numbers because I told him what I do and he said that maybe he'd need my professional service.

So there, I just need a good context to start a conversation. But what when there isn't one? Any suggestion on what to say? Since this topic probably won't start a huge discussion, I'd like to invite my readers to post their own success stories of how they started a conversation with a stranger in places other than bars or clubs. Doesn't even have to be in the romantic context, but encounters that led to an exchange of numbers or even a date are all the more valuable. :)

Most women are flattered when approached as long as it's done appropriately. In fact, most would welcome an approach.

I certainly don't mind being approached as long as the guy is respectful and intelligent. I've met a lot of interesting people, had some wonderful conversations, and learned a thing or two this way. I'm cold-approached constantly, but I suspect that's because I seem nice. I'm almost never interested, but we still have a conversation. Don't really keep track, but I've gone on dates with two of the guys who approached me that way in my day-to-day life in the past year...maybe three? And while on vacation a few months ago, I had dates with four of the guys who asked me out.

The two examples you gave are great ways to start the conversation. Pretty much anywhere works. Only times I don't want to be disturbed are at the gym (interfering with my focus during my workout) and when I'm in a rush. Everywhere else is fair game. I don't go to bars...just not my thing.

Great topic!:)

Thing is. Women don't want to be bothered in their everyday lifes by men approaching them so if not bars then where exactly? Atleast in bars it's the norm to hit on women.

Its the norm to hit on women, but if you aren't handsome enough they will just ignore you. Its all too superficial for me; and a lot of normal girls don't like to "be treated as a dressed up stick of meat" at bars either.

I think coffee shops are better places to chat up, if the girl is not doing work.

• Author
Yeah, cold approaching only works if you're attractive.

I meant "approaching" more in a sense of starting an innocent conversation, without the pressure of asking for numbers or fixing dates. I thought that something as innocuous as asking a simple question wouldn't put the girl on the spot and make her think that she has to either reject me or give me her number. Let conversation take its course. Then, if it goes well, I can worry about numbers.

• Author

No stories by other forum members? So I guess bars are the only place to meet people. Are they some sort of magical places (magic here being all the alcohol) where conversations happen, as opposed to other venues?

I don't know if my story matches the thread criteria because in my case I didn't approach a girl... she actually approached me...

I have to be honest that I usually I like to do the approaching (call it the hunter instinct or how ever you want..) but in this case a hot lady who came to my clinic with her cat asked me out for a dinner.. and since she is one of the nicest looking girl I have seen around I didn't doubt for a second and accepted... she is now my girlfriend of 1 month :)

• Like 3