Doesn't say that he loves me

fieldsofgold84

fieldsofgold84

I have been dating this absolutely wonderful guy for over 8 months now. While I have been in 2 serious relationships (each lasted more than 2 years) , I am his first "serious" girlfriend. He has dated many women for very short periods of time ( the longest has been more than 5 years ago and only lasted a month) not due to being a player but due to being very picky. Also he is an introvert and never talks about himself.

He is one of those shy, awkward guys that need time to open up. I had to kiss him first! Although he was not dating anybody else, after 4 months of dating, he was not willing to be exclusive when I discussed exclusivity . when I said I was going to break up with him, he almost had a heart attack. He still says he doesn't know why he didn't want to be exclusive back then and thanks me for forcing him!

To me, asking out, the first kiss, the exclusivity talk and the first I love you are the guy's responsibilities. He has told me more than a thousand times that I make him a better person and he sees a future with me but he has not told me that he loves me. He cares about me and all his friends and family know about me. I know "love" when I see it; I know he does love me terribly but he doesn't say it for some reason.

I know the fact that he does love me should be enough but I am 27 now and I am starting to think about my future. What am I supposed to do with him? It's not a matter of "I love you". Saying the three magic words is a start for so many more step; it's our future and I don't know if I can or want to "make him" take the initiatives for the rest of my life.

I would love to hear what you think.

Thanks

Borijana