Crush on my child's school teacher!

alasia

Hi, I have a huge crush on my daughter's teacher. She is in year 4 at primary (catholic school, not sure if that's makes any difference regarding policies, etc) and her teacher is fairly new to the school. He's around my age, from the same town as me originally and if he weren't my daughter's teacher; would be exactly the type of person I go for, looks and personality wise.

I've had a couple of meetings with him about my daughter where I thought I picked up a bit of 'chemistry' (twinkle in the eye, etc) but he's probably just that friendly sort of person. I do notice him looking me quite a lot, but it seems to be more of an awkward kind of look; I've been on the ptfa since my daughter started at the school so go in regularly to help out, especially this week we had the school discos so I helped at those. He never came to talk to me, but you know when you know someone you like (or hate!) is around and you try to act normal; but you feel like you suddenly start walking funny, you move your arms more than normal etc - or is that just me! - well he seems to be acting a bit like that.

A few times I've been walking past him, looked over at him and he quickly averted his eyes as though he'd bee looking at me, and during school assemblies sometimes he's been looking in my general direction a few times and then looking away when I notice - or, when I look over at my daughter his eyes will suddenly go over to my daughter as though he's following my gaze.

Heis a friendly guy a lot of the time, so I'm not sure if the fact he smiles whenever I talk to him (unless I'm complaining about something, lol) is a sign he likes me or just his way...

Is there any way of finding out, without asking him directly?

I've heard from teacher friends that dating a parent isn't recommended, but not 'banned' either but not sure if it being a catholic school means they're more strict about that kind of thing.

If you were me and liked this person, what would you do? Don't say 'leave it' because that's the obvious option ;)

Btw my daughter will be out of his year in July next year, not planning on 'asking him out' until after then anyway, just want to kind of lay the foundations, get a bit closer to him in a friendly kind of way and maybe try and pick up on signs he likes me (or not...a single mum isnt exactly top of most youngish mens' lists of ideal women, after all!) and then if all goes well, maybe try and take things further once my daughter isn't being taught by him.

Help and advice appreciated :)

I say GO FOR IT! but definitely wait to pursue more than a professional (teacher-parent) relationship until after your daughter is no longer being taught by him.

• Author

Thanks, I definitely wouldn't try being anything less than professional until after July next year, but as I'm about 90% sure he doesn't like me, is there any way to tell for sure? Any little signs, because I'm rubbish at that kind of thing!

Does anyone have any tips on how I can talk to him/things I can say to try and gauge his interest or open up the lines of communication slightly for next year? Not quite flirting with him, but maybe somehow letting him know that if he liked me I'd be ok with that? Without actually saying that, obviously :)

• Author

Seriously...no hints or tips on being slightly flirty/letting him suspect I'm interested but not being really obvious about it - at all? :(

do you know his personal situation with 100% certainty yet? before making a move i'd make sure he's not taken/seriously dating/living with someone. i'd also ask around a bit and see if he has any kind of reputation amongst other single mothers with kids at the school - just exercise caution first and spare yourself any embarassment.

if he happens to be available then i'd go for it, but definitely wait until your daughter is not in his class; that would reflect really badly upon you, him and potentially cause your child problems in the class too. just keep in mind that men are really really bad when it comes to getting/reading our messages. the more forward you are the better off you'll be, honestly. guys just don't 'get' our flirty stuff so it's best to just be a bold and upfront. best thing to do is just ask 'i've been dying to know, are you married or seriously involved with someone?' it lets him know immediately that you've got an interest. don't be shy

Edited by newmoon