About people being attracted to people who look similar to them

Ross MwcFan

This is a spin off from [COLOR=#990000]Moaning about your looks in dating....[/COLOR] topic.

It's got me thinking, that maybe why I've never experienced attraction from a woman in real life is because I don't look similar to any women.

I don't think I've ever met a woman in the whole of my life who looks similar to me.

Yet weirdly, I do have 'types', there are plenty of women who I can tell aren't conventionally attractive, some I can tell are actually quite unattractive, yet I find them to be really really attractive. And none of these women look anything like me, a lot of them look 'completely' different from how I look.

Discuss...

I think you are misundersntading it...it isnt similarly looking....its being in the same range on a 0-10 scale or 0-100 scale.

charlietheginger
I think you are misundersntading it...it isnt similarly looking....its being in the same range on a 0-10 scale or 0-100 scale.

Exact opposite...

People dont have a range in the study a few days ago

Someone posted....

The examples were man and womens faces

Morphed together ...

Having similar shape cheeks chins over all shape

not a scale but features that attract two people

• Author

Scales of attractiveness?

The link in the topic that I linked to is talking about looking similar to each other. I've also read other articles online that talk about this too.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of couples do look similar to each other. Some couples look so alike that they can actually get mistaken for being brother and sister.

I don't think looking like somebody of the opposite sex increases attractiveness in that person.

Last girl I liked looked pretty similar to me, in a feminine way of course, and she wasn't attracted to me at all.

That is part of what this article is talking about.

Science of Sex Appeal : Videos : Discovery Channel

There was an experiment where they put everyone in something like lycra swimming body suits where only your face appears. They had 10 men and 10 women mingle without talking and select who they thought was attractive just based on face.

Naturally people in the same league tended to stay together where someone a 5 would go with someone 4-6, someone 7 eould go with someone 6-8, etc. It was very rare someone would go with someone 2 spots or more above/below their score.

• Author
I don't think looking like somebody of the opposite sex increases attractiveness in that person.

Last girl I liked looked pretty similar to me, in a feminine way of course, and she wasn't attracted to me at all.

She may have been a lot more attractive than you.

Because I'm thinking, that although women will be attracted to guys who look similar to them, that maybe the guy also has to be around the same as her on the attractiveness scale, or higher?

• Author
That is part of what this article is talking about.

Science of Sex Appeal : Videos : Discovery Channel

There was an experiment where they put everyone in something like lycra swimming body suits where only your face appears. They had 10 men and 10 women mingle without talking and select who they thought was attractive just based on face.

Naturally people in the same league tended to stay together where someone a 5 would go with someone 4-6, someone 7 eould go with someone 6-8, etc. It was very rare someone would go with someone 2 spots or more above/below their score.

I wonder why I'm attracted to so many women who are 3's and 4's? I'm supposed to be very good looking, but, I dunno, maybe I really am a 3 or a 4 myself.

She may have been a lot more attractive than you.

Because I'm thinking, that although women will be attracted to guys who look similar to them, that maybe the guy also has to be around the same as her on the attractiveness scale, or higher?

We were also generally on the same place of that attractiveness scale.

She was prettier than me because she was well, a girl and I'm not.

If she was better looking than I was, then we wouldn't look similar.

• Author
We were also generally on the same place of that attractiveness scale.

If she was better looking than I was, then we wouldn't look similar.

That's like saying because I look like a male and she looks like a female then we can't look alike.

It's definatley possible for an ugly guy and an attractive woman to look similar to each other and vice versa.

• Like 1

Its not that....its measured differently.

There is something in faces called the golden ratio (also a math term) where it looks at the measurement of your face by looking at the distance between your eyes, the distance between your eyes and the tip of your nose, how your face is shapped...is it narrow or is it more round. Based on shape of the face you can give it an attractiveness score.

That's like saying because I look like a male and she looks like a female then we can't look alike.

It's definatley possible for an ugly guy and an attractive woman to look similar to each other and vice versa.

You read the article :D.

For the record, I don't think the article is ironclad, if you want more of a rounded idea then threebyfate's response was very good. I think that within the article, it explains things in terms of genetics, but fails to leave out the conditioning and neurological aspect of the persons tastes regarding attraction. Also consider that social engineering has a lot to do with what people find generally attractive in my opinion, but most will be dictated by their own personal desires I have noticed.

I don't think it's that you look too dissimilar to women, I just think that perhaps you have to meet more women or at the very least be more exposed to them for them to see you as their type. Which really is what a lot of guys need to do.

• Like 1
  • Author
You read the article :D.

For the record, I don't think the article is ironclad, if you want more of a rounded idea then threebyfate's response was very good. I think that within the article, it explains things in terms of genetics, but fails to leave out the conditioning and neurological aspect of the persons tastes regarding attraction. Also consider that social engineering has a lot to do with what people find generally attractive in my opinion, but most will be dictated by their own personal desires I have noticed.

I don't think it's that you look too dissimilar to women, I just think that perhaps you have to meet more women or at the very least be more exposed to them for them to see you as their type. Which really is what a lot of guys need to do.

Yup, it was a really interesting article too. It gives me more hope, because now I'm thinking, that maybe just maybe if I meet a woman who looks similar to me that she will be attracted to me.

My exW and I shared numerous physical similarities, which is understandable since we shared a common and strong cultural background, but she was different in that regard from any other woman I had been attracted to in the past. Past love interests, dating partners and girlfriends bore no substantive resemblance. I won't speak for them but I do know my attraction to them had nothing to do with resemblance.

I have noted a propensity for long-married couples to blend certain aspects of their physical features into a more uniform appearance over many years, but that's anecdotal. Their pictures from their wedding day generally bear out my historical experiences, in that they definitely shared few, if any, remarkable physical features.

This completely excludes the LS ranking of 'leagues' of appearance. That's a separate issue entirely, IMO.

charlietheginger

Imo attraction will not over do leagues

If a man and women meet in a hotel

Both driving rental cars both

Know nothing about each other..

Both mingle by the hotel tiki bar

Both see each others bodies

Both are attracted...

Both may have sex....

If the relationship continues it will

Be of the womens choice...

Once the feeling each other out for ltr