Slept with a long-time friend after reconnecting...

PoppyLove89

Okay so it's my first time on this side of LoveShack because for the past year I've been on the Breaking-up forum...anywhoo, I may as well cut to the chase now!

It's now officially been a year since my ex and I brokeup, he's been with someone else for almost as long and I've spent the year sorting my life out: going back to university, getting a new job, focussing on friends etc. And on Monday I guess you could say I finally rebounded physically...yes, my ex is no longer the last man I slept with.

Here's the thing; the guy I slept with, has been a friend of mine for the past 5 years albeit we've been in and out of each other's lives due to work commitments etc. (We both travel a lot) We got back in touch properly about five months ago and have been talking ever since, until Monday at least.

Monday came and he asked me to meet up for drinks in a local bar, which we did...cut to the bar shutting and the 'well there's no where left open' scenario so we went back to his to watch TV and have a couple more drinks.

Yes, it was inevitable what was going to happen and I have to admit, I wanted it to - for the first time in a year, I wanted something more to happen with someone! We'd actually kissed once before about 2 years ago haha.

Whilst I don't regret it happening at all, I feel it even helped me a little - gave me some confidence back, we haven't spoken since I got home that night. He text me to let him know that I was home safe etc, which I did, but once I'd said 'goodnight' via text, and he replied, we haven't spoken since.

I suppose I'm worried our friendship is ruined now...? Is it 'awkward'? Or is it a case of, let's call a spade a 'spade'? (I'm not emotionally attached to him or anything but I'm wondering if he won't even bother being friends with me now that he's gotten what he wanted?)

He's going back to work in France for another 6 months at the weekend but I knew this was the plan months ago.

Anyone else been in a situation like this? Just worried, I guess.

• Author

Ah thanks for your reply!

I probably should have stated as well that I'm not looking to date him or anything because in reality it's just not possible at the moment, given his work commitment (in France) and my uni/work commitments...

I'm honestly more worried from a friend's perspective. I'd hate to lose him as a friend over this and I'm worried his idea of me as his friend has changed...?

I'll probably check in with him in a couple months if I don't hear from him, like you suggested! :)

Same situation a couple years ago...slept with a guy I've known for 12 years. We just kept hanging out and never mentioned what happened. I hate awkwardness. So pretending it didn't happen is the easiest way to keep things normal.

• Like 1