Friend's Wedding - Should I go alone?

Wesker

So next week, my friend is getting married, and naturally I was invited. Of course the only person I'll know there will be my friend, who happens to be the bride. Because of my schedule, I will only be able to attend the reception.

Here's the problem. Being single, I have no date to bring with me. Even if I did want to bring a buddy along, ala Wedding Crashers, they're either working, or will be out of town next weekend, so that's out of the picture.

My friend is hoping that I'll make it, but I do feel a bit awkward just going by myself. I'm not exactly Mr. Outgoing to begin with, and I don't want to come across as that "creepy dude" nobody knows at her wedding. I did read a few articles on how being the single dude at a wedding is gold, so I guess I have that going for me. Also read a couple where it can be a total disaster too.

Has anyone ever gone to a wedding alone, only knowing just the bride, or groom? And if so, how did it turn out?

So next week, my friend is getting married, and naturally I was invited. Of course the only person I'll know there will be my friend, who happens to be the bride. Because of my schedule, I will only be able to attend the reception.

Here's the problem. Being single, I have no date to bring with me. Even if I did want to bring a buddy along, ala Wedding Crashers, they're either working, or will be out of town next weekend, so that's out of the picture.

My friend is hoping that I'll make it, but I do feel a bit awkward just going by myself. I'm not exactly Mr. Outgoing to begin with, and I don't want to come across as that "creepy dude" nobody knows at her wedding. I did read a few articles on how being the single dude at a wedding is gold, so I guess I have that going for me. Also read a couple where it can be a total disaster too.

Has anyone ever gone to a wedding alone, only knowing just the bride, or groom? And if so, how did it turn out?

Yes, all the time. I wouldn't want to miss celebrating a friend's big moment for that.

I have been the only single person at multiple weddings. Only one. Knowing no one. Other ones, I have been single and met other single people to dance with... Just go up and talk to people and you can have a good time. My goal is always to try to meet as many people as possible. Have found good connections there for work, or friendship. (I was not dating at the time so I can't advise about picking someone up. I would not go with that as a goal.)

the ill-made knight

I think going to a wedding alone is actually a pretty good opportunity. There will be other singles there, people will be in a festive mood, and you have a great opener with "so how do you know the bride and groom?"

• Like 3

As others have said...just go and enjoy your time. socialize with the people you meet.

One question I would ask your friend....where have they assigned you to sit? What people will also be sitting with you.

I had something similar to that some years ago where a college friend of mine (bride) got married. Other than her and the groom I didnt really know many. i had met her father a couple of times as well as a few of her friends in college. I had fun.

Edited by Ami1uwant
  • Author
As others have said...just go and enjoy your time. socialize with the people you meet.

One question I would ask your friend....where have they assigned you to sit? What people will also be sitting with you.

I had something similar to that some years ago where a college friend of mine (bride) got married. Other than her and the groom I didnt really know many. i had met her father a couple of times as well as a few of her friends in college. I had fun.

Funny you ask that. As I said in my post, because of my schedule, and the fact it's the holiday weekend, I won't be able to attend the ceremony, or dinner part of the reception. She was cool with that, and gave me an exception. I don't think she really had much of a seating chart to begin with. I'll prolly end up going in the end. I really don't have much to lose, and lots to gain I guess. Thanks.

mortensorchid

Go. It could be a great opportunity for networking and potentially meeting someone. A lot of people met their spouses at weddings, you never know. Don't let not having a date hold you back from this event even if you don't know anyone.