Pet conflict

vallat

I've been dating a girl who has 4 dogs. I love dogs, so that's fine. I have 1 dog. The issue we're facing right now is, if we ever live together we won't be able to keep all of the dogs. Where we live there is a pet limit. Any of the cities/towns that we could live in (access to our works and universities), have a pet limit of 2-4, depending on the city. Neither one of us would ever get rid of our pets. When you get an animal, you make a commitment to that animal. It's not like we can wait for one to die of old age, because all of her dogs are 2-3 and mine is 1.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation? You can't hide an extra dog, there are always the a-holes that will report you.

If someone has to get rid of 1, who should it be? (I doubt it'll happen though)

Naturally since she has 4 and you have 1, she should have to give up one of hers. It wouldn't be fair for her to keep all of hers and you to have to give up your only one.

But you said that neither of you would ever get rid of your animals, so it's a moot point.

• Like 2

I'd either move to an area without a limit or not live together until you could move to an area without a limit. Wouldn't get ride of my dogs for anyone....and I'd be frankly horrified by a man who got rid of his. If a man dumps his dog, to me, that is a dump-able offense.

• Like 6

Clearly the answer is that you should dump her and date someone who doesn't have a dog to get around the limit issue - at least this is what many people who put animals over homo sapiens would no doubt advise you to do :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 1
BetheButterfly
I've been dating a girl who has 4 dogs. I love dogs, so that's fine. I have 1 dog. The issue we're facing right now is, if we ever live together we won't be able to keep all of the dogs. Where we live there is a pet limit. Any of the cities/towns that we could live in (access to our works and universities), have a pet limit of 2-4, depending on the city. Neither one of us would ever get rid of our pets. When you get an animal, you make a commitment to that animal. It's not like we can wait for one to die of old age, because all of her dogs are 2-3 and mine is 1.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation? You can't hide an extra dog, there are always the a-holes that will report you.

You can have only 4 dogs where you live? I think you need to talk to someone higher up in the state government where you live, because as long as you and your girlfriend are responsible pet-owners who take great care of your pets and those pets are not annoying the neighbors, there shouldn't be a problem. Or y'all need to move to a more reasonable state, or out to the country! :love: Dogs tend to like the country better anyways... having an acre or two for them to run around on and call their territory ROCKS for dogs! :)

That's one reason I haven't brought my Sheila, my Darling Yorkie, to FL yet... she is very happy on the farm with my parents, has lots of room to run around on (she has hardly ever been harnessed/leashed), has my parents' dogs as her pack, and enjoys my parents' attention while I'm not there. I miss her so much. :(

I totally 100% agree that "When you get an animal, you make a commitment to that animal." Because of this, I don't think you should ask her to give up one of her dogs. It saddens me all the people today who don't know that once you take a domesticated animal as pet, you shouldn't throw him/or away when circumstances make having a pet harder. That is a tragedy and shows irresponsibility.

Now, like how my parents are taking care of Sheila for me until my husband and I come get her, it could be a possibility for your girlfriends' family or a good friend who loves her dog to take care of one of the dogs... but I do not see that as "giving up" a dog, but rather as another person who can giving the dog another place to live. One thing that would be horrible is if the dog ended up on the street or abused or thrown into a shelter. I would be enraged if that happened to my Sheila. My parents however are extremely responsible people who love dogs longer than I have been alive and take great care of her. So, it is possible that your girlfriend could ask a wonderful person, either of her family or good friend, if her dog could live with that person?

Of course Emilia, that's such a reasonable response. Let's all be snarky... because it helps the OP so much, right?

OP: I know you said neither of you are willing to give up your pet, but to be frank? I doubt anyone is going to care if you're one dog over the limit.

-A

• Like 2
Clearly the answer is that you should dump her and date someone who doesn't have a dog to get around the limit issue - at least this is what many people who put animals over homo sapiens would no doubt advise you to do :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, that's exactly what I said....

.....except I didn't. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 1

You could try to attain a kennel license or legally fight your areas limitation laws, they would likely bend quickly if you put up a fight over something like that

• Like 2
BetheButterfly
: I know you said neither of you are willing to give up your pet, but to be frank? I doubt anyone is going to care if you're one dog over the limit.

-A

Yeah, to me that limit's purpose maybe is only to prevent hoarding? I understand how hoarding is not good, but there are indeed responsible people who have more than 4 pets (of different species) and do a great job taking care of them, their property, and their families. So, I would question this limit and see exactly what it entails and why.

That's one reason I love the country. The country is much more free and people have horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, goats, sheep, cows, ducks... As long as people are treating the animals well and taking good care of them, it is awesome!!! :bunny:

The only issue is when people do not take good care of the animals and instead are cruel, sadistic, or negligent. :(

Laws are to protect people and other animals, so if the dogs are being well taken care of, as well as the property (the people are not letting the dogs tear up the place or leave messes) and if the people are law-abiding citizens, I don't see why they can't have 5 dogs?

There are people who shouldn't even have 1 dog... it really depends on the person and how the person cares for the animal.

OP: I know you said neither of you are willing to give up your pet, but to be frank? I doubt anyone is going to care if you're one dog over the limit.

-A

As long as your dogs are well trained, they probably won't.

You'd have to make sure you didn't:

*Let them bark incessantly, particularly early in the morning or super late at night.

*Forget to clean up their waste.

*Let them go potty in your neighbor's yard.

*Allow them off leash giving them a chance to run and jump on the neighbors or scare their children.

*They don't lunge out towards animals or people in an aggressive manner while on a walk.

All this can be accomplished with training. Keep the dogs training certificates, so even if you are reported, you can petition the city to make an exception based on the fact that you are responsible dog owners.

• Like 1

I never realised places had pet limits.

If you had 5 children, would you have to get rid of one of those too?

Yeah, to me that limit's purpose maybe is only to prevent hoarding? I understand how hoarding is not good, but there are indeed responsible people who have more than 4 pets (of different species) and do a great job taking care of them, their property, and their families. So, I would question this limit and see exactly what it entails and why.

That's one reason I love the country. The country is much more free and people have horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, goats, sheep, cows, ducks... As long as people are treating the animals well and taking good care of them, it is awesome!!! :bunny:

The only issue is when people do not take good care of the animals and instead are cruel, sadistic, or negligent. :(

Laws are to protect people and other animals, so if the dogs are being well taken care of, as well as the property (the people are not letting the dogs tear up the place or leave messes) and if the people are law-abiding citizens, I don't see why they can't have 5 dogs?

There are people who shouldn't even have 1 dog... it really depends on the person and how the person cares for the animal.

Yeah but what about how they affect their neighbors who may want nothing to do with pets? That is why there are ordinances. A while back my neighbors had 2 dogs that anytime we were out in the backyard would bark at us the entire time we were outside. It became a nuisance for us to even go outside sometimes.

Yeah but what about how they affect their neighbors who may want nothing to do with pets? That is why there are ordinances. A while back my neighbors had 2 dogs that anytime we were out in the backyard would bark at us the entire time we were outside. It became a nuisance for us to even go outside sometimes.

See, my definition of a responsible pet owner is one that didn't let their dogs become a nuisance to others.

For example, my dogs used to bark when someone knocked on our door. When we lived in a house, it wasn't a big deal as no one could hear them when they did it but us. But when we moved into an apartment, I knew that their barking could disturb a neighbors sleep, conversation, or quiet enjoyment of their house. So I trained them to quit. Honestly, you'd never know I had dogs they make so little noise.

I never realised places had pet limits.

If you had 5 children, would you have to get rid of one of those too?

Children are people who will grow up and contribute to society and pay taxes and not just lay around and lick their balls (at least I assume)...so the answer to your question is no.

• Like 2
See, my definition of a responsible pet owner is one that didn't let their dogs become a nuisance to others.

For example, my dogs used to bark when someone knocked on our door. When we lived in a house, it wasn't a big deal as no one could hear them when they did it but us. But when we moved into an apartment, I knew that their barking could disturb a neighbors sleep, conversation, or quiet enjoyment of their house. So I trained them to quit. Honestly, you'd never know I had dogs they make so little noise.

I understand that and that is the way I would be but the vast majority of people do not take other people into consideration. And that is why ordinances are often necessary :(

• Like 1
BetheButterfly

Dogs can be trained to not bark so much. My parents' dogs and my Sheila bark a warning when people come to the house, including the neighbors. However, after they have satisfactorily done their job, they don't bark anymore till new visitors arrive. Their barking is merely an announcement, like a doorbell lol.

People can train dogs to not even bark an announcement. With your neighbor's dogs, I think he/she didn't train the dogs very well. They need to learn how to gently teach a dog when to bark.

The reason the dogs were barking at you all the time are the following, I personally think:

1. For some reason, you never were properly introduced to them. ? What happened there?

My neighbor's dog barked at me at first, but after I said hello and let her sniff my hand, she thought, "Oh Ok, I know you now. Big deal." lol She doesn't bark at me anymore unless she hears a noise and doesn't realize I'm attached to that noise. That's when I come over and let her know.. "hey it's just me." Once she knows, she's ok. That's a healthy dog response. Once they know a person is ok and not a threat to anybody, they shouldn't be barking anymore at that person, unless they're "talking" to that person - huskies are awesome talkers for example.

2. The neighbors have no idea how to train a dog/dogs to not bark at their neighbors once they have identified a noise or smell with that person. So, I think the fault here lies mostly with the person/people, not the dogs. Dogs are incredibly bright, but they can get stuck into annoying habits like barking for no good reason. They need a person's gentle instruction to get out of those not very nice habits. So, I just think those dogs simply did not understand. People yelling "shut up!" at them only scares and confuses them more. They don't learn by people merely yelling at them or kicking them or throwing things at them. That just scares them. :( One trigger reaction of dog who is scared is ... barking. They don't know what to do to help a situation so they just bark and bark. Insecurity at its finest. :(

So, what your neighbors needed were training classes for themselves concerning how to train dogs.

• Like 2
Dogs can be trained to not bark so much. My parents' dogs and my Sheila bark a warning when people come to the house, including the neighbors. However, after they have satisfactorily done their job, they don't bark anymore till new visitors arrive. Their barking is merely an announcement, like a doorbell lol.

People can train dogs to not even bark an announcement. With your neighbor's dogs, I think he/she didn't train the dogs very well. They need to learn how to gently teach a dog when to bark.

The reason the dogs were barking at you all the time are the following, I personally think:

1. For some reason, you never were properly introduced to them. ? What happened there?

My neighbor's dog barked at me at first, but after I said hello and let her sniff my hand, she thought, "Oh Ok, I know you now. Big deal." lol She doesn't bark at me anymore unless she hears a noise and doesn't realize I'm attached to that noise. That's when I come over and let her know.. "hey it's just me." Once she knows, she's ok. That's a healthy dog response. Once they know a person is ok and not a threat to anybody, they shouldn't be barking anymore at that person, unless they're "talking" to that person - huskies are awesome talkers for example.

2. The neighbors have no idea how to train a dog/dogs to not bark at their neighbors once they have identified a noise or smell with that person. So, I think the fault here lies mostly with the person/people, not the dogs. Dogs are incredibly bright, but they can get stuck into annoying habits like barking for no good reason. They need a person's gentle instruction to get out of those not very nice habits. So, I just think those dogs simply did not understand. People yelling "shut up!" at them only scares and confuses them more. They don't learn by people merely yelling at them or kicking them or throwing things at them. That just scares them. :( One trigger reaction of dog who is scared is ... barking. They don't know what to do to help a situation so they just bark and bark. Insecurity at its finest. :(

So, what your neighbors needed were training classes for themselves concerning how to train dogs.

I am not saying my neighbors were the greatest people...in fact I am saying my neighbors were not the greatest people but often times like humans...dogs are just untrainable barking poop bags

• Like 1
I am not saying my neighbors were the greatest people...in fact I am saying my neighbors were not the greatest people but often times like humans...dogs are just untrainable barking poop bags

If is has a pulse, it can be trained.

BetheButterfly

Actually that's not true.

All dogs can be trained by awesome professionals. However like people, many dogs have "baggage" that they need to learn to get over. Unlike people, dogs have an easier time living in the present and forgetting the past.

I am not saying that your neighbors are not great people at all. I don't know them. I'm just saying they didn't know how to train their dogs well. Some great people also "molly coddle" their dogs, which doesn't help in training either. So I'm just saying the people didn't know how to train their dogs to not bark once they have identified sounds/smells and notified them.

All dogs respond to love, kindness, and firm yet gentle instruction. They are not "untrainable barking poop bags" but rather they are "animals who have the ability to live with humans and be loyal,good, and caring companions to those humans." It really depends on the human. Dogs are interesting that way. They can feel the energy of a person and that is why a person can lead/teach/train the dog and the dog can become a "best friend" to that person. For those who love dogs and know how to train dogs, the quality of this amazing animal is without a price. :bunny:

If is has a pulse, it can be trained.

That explains why I couldn't train my ex-wife!

• Like 1

my city has a limit of 3 dogs, so i understand the difficulty. sometimes you cannot even find a good place that will just take one, let alone 5. my suggestion would be to rent in a house and not even bother with apartments, and to try and obtain a kennel license which would allow you more pets in your home.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, the fact that she has four [4] dogs never bothered you ?

Never struck you as odd ?

If it comes to this, you should obviously break up because dogs are more important.

I remember while growing up, occasionally we had to get rid of pets because of moving and such. We would always find a friend that was looking for a pet that would take them for us. Someone we knew would take good care of them. I never saw that as neglecting the commitment, maybe you could do that with one of her dogs? Five really is too many.

4 dogs does sound like a lot unless she is living in a large house or something.

When you say there are limits of 2-4 pets, are you talking about renting an apartment or house?

I would never get rid of my pet and when I was single, I dated guys with no pets because my cat does NOT get along with other animals.

Honestly I guess I'd just find a place that allows 4 and sneak the 5th in.

That's a lot of dogs!!! I am curious as to how she wound up with 4! Are they big dogs or small dogs?