Anyone used Plenty of Fish before? Looking for .

So I'm trying something new and using Plenty of Fish for first time to meet some new people (women).

Its been 7 days now so I'm looking if this is the typical thing to expect if you are a free member only.

So far I've gotten like only 14 views on my profile. :lmao:

I understand that getting anyone to message me is a percentage and base on people viewing my profiles. While I'm not expecting a lot of woment contacting me, I was hoping for a lot more views than 14 and out of those 14, 4 of them are from people that I actually contacted and checking me out in return to see how contacted them.

So far I've sent out 14 messages but no replies. :(

Is this typical? I'm not cutting and pasting but its getting to the point where its discouraging and almost pointless to put effort into the contact messages. The discouraging part is that half of these are to women with no images or consider to be 6-7 only in terms of looks since I know I won't get anything higher than that.

I've gotten only 2 women contacting me.

So would upgrading to paid member status really improve the profile view? Anyone know who is a paid member?

I can't tell if this is just typical that female members don't bother to look at male profiles and just wait for the male members to do the contacting and looking. If that's the case than its very discouraging because I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time contacting them.

you should expect roughly 10% response rate on POF. If you're getting significantly less than that, you've either got bad pictures, a bad profile, or you're sending bad messages.

You need a bigger sample size...get back to us once you've sent out 100 messages and we can go from there.

Phennyphen

Do you have a picture on your profile? If you don't have a picture you're unlikely to get any responses/ emails. People are, for one, shallow and also we like to see who we're talking to :)

Also, women will be put off if your profile is incomplete, as in 'I'll fill this in later' or as I've seen some men put just a load of 'jfhuhybfhhiugwhi' which is just as off putting.

I've used POF for a year now and have not found it necessary to upgrade to paid member status, free membership is actually pretty good, you might just need to re-jig your profile.

ThaWholigan
So I'm trying something new and using Plenty of Fish for first time to meet some new people (women).

Its been 7 days now so I'm looking if this is the typical thing to expect if you are a free member only.

So far I've gotten like only 14 views on my profile. :lmao:

I understand that getting anyone to message me is a percentage and base on people viewing my profiles. While I'm not expecting a lot of woment contacting me, I was hoping for a lot more views than 14 and out of those 14, 4 of them are from people that I actually contacted and checking me out in return to see how contacted them.

So far I've sent out 14 messages but no replies. :(

Is this typical? I'm not cutting and pasting but its getting to the point where its discouraging and almost pointless to put effort into the contact messages. The discouraging part is that half of these are to women with no images or consider to be 6-7 only in terms of looks since I know I won't get anything higher than that.

I've gotten only 2 women contacting me.

So would upgrading to paid member status really improve the profile view? Anyone know who is a paid member?

I can't tell if this is just typical that female members don't bother to look at male profiles and just wait for the male members to do the contacting and looking. If that's the case than its very discouraging because I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time contacting them.

I've been on POF on and off for a couple of years. It's no point getting paid membership, the special priveliges aren't all that, so just stick with how it is now.

You need a bigger sample size. I am like you though, I'm very picky about who I like and message on there, so I don't message a lot of girls, and it shows, as I have yet to meet anyone :laugh:. Don't sweat it, and don't place too much importance on it.

If all else fails, try OKCupid, it's more fun: they have quizzes and questionaires

I've used (Plenty of Flakes), POF before. I had a few dates, over a long time span.

• Author

Okay thanks for the response.

The lack of views on my profile seem to really discourage me as I don't want to simply be constantly contacting females just to try and get something going.

I do have pictures and stuff. Maybe in the end its not something they like in terms of my look and my interests. So I'm just trying to adjust my profiles to be a bit better.

I'm still trying to learn how to do the messaging a bit better. Just very discouraging and a bit double standard that women with no pictures expect you to send a picture to them while they on the other hand don't provide a picture to you. I don't want to set myself up to be disappointed too after making a contact. lol

Phennyphen

Don't be discouraged :) just go in with a really positive attitude, keep it light and persevere, I sometimes go days with no messages and then all of a sudden get a few in a day

• Author

How long would you guys wait for a response before realising you aren't going to get a response?

So far I check who view my profile and if one of them are ones that I sent a message to but didn't respond back I know they aren't going to bother.

mortensorchid

POF is on the shady side, as most free websites tend to be. But I have encountered similar things either on the free or paid websites. Suddenly someone sends you a wink or email, you are chatting with them for a bit, and then suddenly *poof* they vanish.

But, they are good for getting you to do some practice, in that they will give you an excuse to get out and meet people. Do not expect something good to halfway decent, though. It sounds cynical but unfortunately that has been my experience with them.

GravityMan

POF is a cesspool, IME.

Good luck. Have a few good pictures in your profile that are reasonably recent (both face and full body shots).

LittlePrince
There are plenty of fish but they are all bottom feeders.

You do know it would require one to be down at the bottom feeding as well to observe this?

• Author

But, they are good for getting you to do some practice, in that they will give you an excuse to get out and meet people. Do not expect something good to halfway decent, though. It sounds cynical but unfortunately that has been my experience with them.

Thats basically what I'm using it for. Get some confidence back and get out there now that summer is coming. Been stuck on just focusing on work and stuff too long. I don't expect anything for long term just hopefully some people to make some friends and get outside.

But even thats hard since no one is replying.

I've been there for 7 days but it seem like everyone is just b.s. on their profile on how active they are and such and how perfect their lives are. And how they want this honest and trustyworth something, and something but in the end nothing happens because all they do is continue to shift through one person to the next till they find a better person. lol.

Even I'm honest enough to admit my life kind of suck on the social side which is why I'm on POF. lol.

You do know it would require one to be down at the bottom feeding as well to observe this?

I guess you don't do online dating. On most websites you can check out the members to see if it's a site you'd want to join. I always do this to save time and money. POF gave me quite a shock! I only subscribe to websites whose members seem to be mostly educated professionals.

• Author

Please no fighting. :(

Anyways think I'm going to take a break from it. Its only been 8 days and I've sent like 20 messages now and no replies. Especially from girls that you actually have some common interests in.

100 messages? I don't know if I have that kind of patience to do just to finally get a few replies back.

LittlePrince
I guess you don't do online dating. On most websites you can check out the members to see if it's a site you'd want to join. I always do this to save time and money. POF gave me quite a shock! I only subscribe to websites whose members seem to be mostly educated professionals.

Then you can't know. You can only assume.