Guys, what would make you feel extra special on your birthday?

Onlyjonley

Onlyjonley

You guys always have great suggestions!

My boy's birthday is coming up and I want to make his day extra special, especially since he lives 800 miles from his family. I'm pretty sure his birthday has been pretty meh in recent years (we've only been together a year).

Aside from getting a gift, what would you appreciate? I've thought about making him an awesome breakfast and of course baking him a cake. And possibly getting his friends together for dinner.

He's very low key and won't expect much, but that won't stop me!

• Author
Onlyjonley
If I was in your shoes, Id fly one of his family members out to see him for his birthday. And still go all out.

As great as that sounds, I'm on a budget! :) He is getting to see his parents this weekend, so that's good!

You sound really thoughtful, he is a lucky guy. Would stick to one thing, nice dinner or his friends for cocktails gets my vote. Some people like a big birthday deal and for others a little goes a long way. Make sure which type your BF is before planning. Good luck.

• Author
Onlyjonley
You sound really thoughtful, he is a lucky guy. Would stick to one thing, nice dinner or his friends for cocktails gets my vote. Some people like a big birthday deal and for others a little goes a long way. Make sure which type your BF is before planning. Good luck.

Thanks ..appreciate that. As I mentioned .. he is pretty low key and doesn't like a lot of attention. But I just want to make sure he feels special and loved. I think I'll plan on making a nice breakfast and then later that day baking a cake and getting his friends together for dinner (or maybe a cookout!). I'd still kind of like to maybe do some sort of fun activity during the day, but I'll have to think on that more.

Thanks ..appreciate that. As I mentioned .. he is pretty low key and doesn't like a lot of attention. But I just want to make sure he feels special and loved. I think I'll plan on making a nice breakfast and then later that day baking a cake and getting his friends together for dinner (or maybe a cookout!). I'd still kind of like to maybe do some sort of fun activity during the day, but I'll have to think on that more.

I'm low key as well and don't like a big deal made of things either, so if your boyfriend is anything like me, I think he'd enjoy a cookout instead of GOING out.

My ideal evening every once in a while, whether it be a birthday or whatever, is just having a few close friends (not a lot of people), a fire, some beer and the grill going. Having a girlfriend plan it all and kind of surprise me would make it very special.

• Author
Onlyjonley
I'm low key as well and don't like a big deal made of things either, so if your boyfriend is anything like me, I think he'd enjoy a cookout instead of GOING out.

My ideal evening every once in a while, whether it be a birthday or whatever, is just having a few close friends (not a lot of people), a fire, some beer and the grill going. Having a girlfriend plan it all and kind of surprise me would make it very special.

Making it a surprise type thing might be a good idea!

Brats, his favorite beer, his closest friends, and some smores ... I'd say that'd be a nice way to celebrate! Thanks for the suggestions!!

Making it a surprise type thing might be a good idea!

Brats, his favorite beer, his closest friends, and some smores ... I'd say that'd be a nice way to celebrate! Thanks for the suggestions!!

Beer brats...mmmmmmm

Well, outside of a low-key dinner with friends, I would say the highlight of my most recent birthday was getting a nice handwritten card from a friend of my best friend's wife and a hand-made gift from another of her friends. Such acts bolster my perspective regarding women subsequent to my divorce. A double-lemon pie didn't hurt either ;)

• Author
Onlyjonley
Well, outside of a low-key dinner with friends, I would say the highlight of my most recent birthday was getting a nice handwritten card from a friend of my best friend's wife and a hand-made gift from another of her friends. Such acts bolster my perspective regarding women subsequent to my divorce. A double-lemon pie didn't hurt either ;)

Good to hear you haven't given up on the female gender! And good to know we women can always count on wooing the men in our lives with food! :)

He's very low key and won't expect much, but that won't stop me!

Stick with what works for him, if you want to make it special. For example, my 40th birthday.... my most memorable birthday to me. I had just met and started dating a woman I took a real interest in two weeks prior. She kept asking me what I wanted to do for my 40th. I told her come over, I will make us dinner, and we can hang out and talk. (BTW I am an avid cook). She came over, and at first kept saying I feel like I should do something for you, finally I said to her look this is my birthday, and my birthday wish, and I can do whatever I want to do for my 40th, and what I want is a nice romantic evening with you. We had dinner, we had a great getting to know each other conversation, we had dessert, I got a "piece" lol, and we cuddled. I also got a really cool birthday card from her, and I have it on my work desk. We are broken up a year now, and that card is still where I first put it.

Going all out doesn't make the memory, special time spent together makes the memory.

PS - that birthday was 2 years ago this past April, and I remember it like it were yesterday. I don't think I even remember what I did last year (we were no longer together)

Edited by fucpcg
  • Author
Onlyjonley
Stick with what works for him, if you want to make it special. For example, my 40th birthday.... my most memorable birthday to me. I had just met and started dating a woman I took a real interest in two weeks prior. She kept asking me what I wanted to do for my 40th. I told her come over, I will make us dinner, and we can hang out and talk. (BTW I am an avid cook). She came over, and at first kept saying I feel like I should do something for you, finally I said to her look this is my birthday, and my birthday wish, and I can do whatever I want to do for my 40th, and what I want is a nice romantic evening with you. We had dinner, we had a great getting to know each other conversation, we had dessert, I got a "piece" lol, and we cuddled. I also got a really cool birthday card from her, and I have it on my work desk. We are broken up a year now, and that card is still where I first put it.

Going all out doesn't make the memory, special time spent together makes the memory.

PS - that birthday was 2 years ago this past April, and I remember it like it were yesterday. I don't think I even remember what I did last year (we were no longer together)

I get that. I know it wouldn't take much to make him happy. But what you described (dinner, conversation, dessert) is something we do weekly. So I just wanted to do something we don't always do.

I can definitely see that being a perfect evening had we just started seeing one another.

Your ideas sound good already - guys I've been with have never been huge fans of cake, but I'm sure anyone will appreciate the thought and special gesture, be they cake-eater or not.

Some 'special' stuff when you're both getting cozy with each other later in the evening always seems to be appreciated too, if you're into that. ;)

Definitely skip on the big splurging and excursions if he prefers the low key stuff. Have fun!

It's hard to say without knowing him better. Just makes sure it's something that fits him. I'm low key too, and probably the best birthday I've had was when my girlfriend spent the day with me just watching a show she had no interest in but I loved and had been trying to get her to watch. She even pretended to like it and enjoy herself! A very loving act on her part. We went out to dinner too with a few select people she knew I would have fun with.

NeverDated

I second the idea of a surprise. I spent 2 weeks trying to organize a surprise party for my boyfriend at a grown-up arcade/bar/grill, and almost everyone who said they would show bailed at the last minute. A few of his family members were there, and his closest friend showed up 2 hours late. I thought it was a disaster, lol, but he couldn't stop thanking me for thinking of him and putting in the effort.