Not sure if I should get flowers for my G/F for her birthday

garycoleman

garycoleman

Her cousin was asking me what I was planning to do for my G/F's birthday. I told her I was going to buy my G/F flowers, chocolates, and take her out to dinner.

My G/F over heard us talking and she said she doesn't want flowers. I don't know if this is some kind of test or what. :confused:

Her cousin was asking me what I was planning to do for my G/F's birthday. I told her I was going to buy my G/F flowers, chocolates, and take her out to dinner.

My G/F over heard us talking and she said she doesn't want flowers. I don't know if this is some kind of test or what. :confused:

Did she give you any indication of what she does want? Or why she doesn't want them?

This is my biggest pet peeve with other women: if you don't want something, give your guy a fighting chance with an alternative.

I'd say just buy them anyway...

Don't buy her flowers if she doesn't like flowers.

Personally, I don't like flowers because they die. I love plants, fwiw. But the most important thing to a woman is to feel heard in most cases, so if she's told you something, ignoring it is the worst course of action.

Also, I don't know how long you've been dating, but IMO people tend to prefer specific gifts tailored to them rather than the generics of candy and flowers. Don't you know something that your GF might want that is reflective of her personality you could get her?

• Author
garycoleman
Did she give you any indication of what she does want? Or why she doesn't want them?

This is my biggest pet peeve with other women: if you don't want something, give your guy a fighting chance with an alternative.

I'd say just buy them anyway...

She did have bad allergies when I was with her last weekend and her excuse for allergies. But I don't roses will cause her allergies to flare up.

• Author
garycoleman
Don't buy her flowers if she doesn't like flowers.

Personally, I don't like flowers because they die. I love plants, fwiw. But the most important thing to a woman is to feel heard in most cases, so if she's told you something, ignoring it is the worst course of action.

Also, I don't know how long you've been dating, but IMO people tend to prefer specific gifts tailored to them rather than the generics of candy and flowers. Don't you know something that your GF might want that is reflective of her personality you could get her?

We've been dating for 6 weeks so I though chocolate and flowers would be appropriate. She doesn't have much hobbies / interests so it's hard for me to find a suitable gift other than chocolate and flowers. We are still learning about eachother.

She did have bad allergies when I was with her last weekend and her excuse for allergies. But I don't roses will cause her allergies to flare up.

Ah, see that's a good reason. Buy her a bouquet of chocolate roses, then.

• Like 1
We've been dating for 6 weeks so I though chocolate and flowers would be appropriate. She doesn't have much hobbies / interests so it's hard for me to find a suitable gift other than chocolate and flowers. We are still learning about eachother.

Oh, yes, at 6 weeks, it's very appropriate. That's why I asked about length. :) It's a nice thought. But if she said she doesn't like flowers, don't do flowers. Perhaps just candy.

I don't really know what she's thinking. I'd need more info. Hubby did buy me flowers very early on (before he knew I didn't like them) and I was still happy he did---it's a nice thought---but I've been in other relationships where a man just ignored my thoughts and feelings on such matters (example: I hate diamonds, and gemstone rings in general, and he bought me a fancy engagement ring with diamonds; my current wedding/engagement ring is a plain platinum band because hubby respected my tastes). So, I was wondering if it was that, but it sounds like you're really just unsure what to do. In that case, she should definitely have helped you out more!

How long have you two been together. I think you should know her well enough to be able to get something more personal than some lame ass generic flowers and chocolate..this isn't Valentine's Day. Stop being lazy.

Don't buy any woman you have only been dating six weeks anything, flowers, candy, dinner, -nothing-. On her birthday at this stage a card would be OK. Use material things in a relationship much much later to reward good behavior, never "just because" until you are married, and even then rarely. This applies to women too.

• Author
garycoleman
How long have you two been together. I think you should know her well enough to be able to get something more personal than some lame ass generic flowers and chocolate..this isn't Valentine's Day. Stop being lazy.

I know she likes dogs. I think I might replace the flowers with a cute stuffed animal dog

Feelsgoodman
Ah, see that's a good reason. Buy her a bouquet of chocolate roses, then.

What if she's allergic to chocolate?

That's a good idea. Try to find her favorite breed. You can find pretty much anything on the all powerful interwebs.

I know she likes dogs. I think I might replace the flowers with a cute stuffed animal dog

Excellent idea. Not overdoing it but personalized to her!

Stuffed dog, live dog, corn dog, you are making a mistake giving women gifts just 6 weeks in. Wish I could schmack you on the top of your short, fuzzy head, garycoleman.

Excellent idea. Not overdoing it but personalized to her!

Agreed.

Don't listen to dasein. :p You're not overdoing it buying a small gift so soon. A little something to tell her you're thinking of her birthday is good. Don't treat her like a child and give her gifts for good behavior. You're trying to woo her, not train her.

• Author
garycoleman

I found a cute looking stuffed animal puppy and she really loved it. I don't think flowers would have gotten the same reaction out of her.

• Like 1